So,who's going to buy the LOTR trilogy separately or wait for the Ultimate Box Set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Wilmes, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

This is one of those movies I can't wait to own but I don't want to buy the first two when you know there will be a killer box set released once they're all finished(which won't take that long,probably summer 2004 before the last one hits video).Has anyone else thought about this or is it just me?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I haven't seen this movie yet, but assuming it's as good as I hope, there is no way in hell I'm going to wait. Who cares if I have to repurchase it in a few years. I've done that a lot with lds and dvd SEs, so it's no big deal.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I see no sense in waiting 2+ years for the 'killer' set for the sake of $25.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, gee, I'll have to see the movie first.

I can probably wait for the box set, though. Of course, it's not out of the question that Peter Jackson will come up with something I want right now, but I don't know as I'd feel the same need to pounce on Lord Of The Rings as I would with the other big events coming next year.

5. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I'm with George. I'm sure that eBay will have thousands of listings for the individual movies when the box set gets released. [​IMG]

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I am absolutely certain that my wife won't let us wait for a box set to come out. She'll want each one upon release! [​IMG]

7. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

There's no way in hell I'd be able to wait...and that's even if the movie doesn't live up to my expectations. Just the fact that I'd be owning the best representation of one of my favorite books of all time would be enough for me.

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Wait till 2004? Ummmm, ain't gonna happen! I'll buy an Ultimate set in 2004 if it's availible AND it has new material that wasn't release on the first two DVD's.
    I'm really hoping that there's some sort of directors cut of the film that restores Tom Bombadil and the barrows
    . I don't know if PJ shot it originally and edited it out but I sure hope that he did. I want a 4 hour version of each film [​IMG]

9. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Most likely the initial, separate releases will feature the PG-13 theatrical cuts and the final Box will contain the R or Unrated cuts (more gore). I doubt PJ will have any time to work on this set until post-production is done on RotK. No doubt that when it does arrive it will be worth buying just for the longer, gorier 'directors' cut.
    Regardless, I'm sure I'll be buying both. Gotta be able to re-watch the first one or two films before the next one comes out, right? [​IMG]

10. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I'll buy every LOTR DVD that comes out. I want it all!

11. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

What is "waiting"?

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Waiting is not an option

I want them all. The only thing that may keep me away from a 'regular' SE is if the same disc is available in a bigger box simultaneously.

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

There is no way I can wait for the trilogy to be out to buy. I'm just hoping I can wait until it is released on DVD before I schlep out to the damn theater and get my seat constantly kicked by some punk kid throughout the entire feature.