So, who's a tennis player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Slack, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Anyone else play a lot of tennis around here? I played throughout highschool (on the team) but then stopped playing for the most part after my freshmen year of college. I played a bit last summer, and have played 3-6 times a week this summer.

Now I wish I had played more in college, because with just the practice I've had this summer, I'm quite sure I could have made the team; I can't describe how happy I am with the progression of my game, a few of the folks I've played with over the years said they're amazed with it too (a lot of it was mental, on my part, I think.)

Anyway, just wondering who else was having a great time playing tennis this summer. I'm lucky enough to have three decent (and lit, until 10pm, for free) courts across the street from my apartment. It's much nicer to play at night, rather than in the mid-90, humid weather.

Now I'm looking around for indoor places to play over the winter...

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

my wife and i play in a mixed-doubles league in our neighborhood. we have 2 lit courts at the community park. fun time, not very competitive, which is good since we aren't very good at tennis [​IMG]

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i'm going to be a senior in high school and i'm on the school team. haven't had time to play this summer though. i'm also not very good...only 2 varsity games so far.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I used to play a ton with my friends but with all of us having kids it makes it tough to get out these days.

Patrick

5. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I've played USTA adult leagues at the 3.5 level. It costs a bit of money to play since the season runs during the winter and all matches and most team practices are indoors.
    The attitudes of these are pretty competitive so it's a good outlet for aggressive energy. If you would have made a college varsity team, then you would be at least at the 4.5 level. Call up any indoor tennis facility and I'm sure they will have information and probably even help you find a team to join.
    For more information on the levels see this link

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

YEP; first year I've played since I was around 22(i'm34 now). Man now I realize how much I loved it.

I play 2ice a week in Newmarket, Ontario. Even though it'll take me a good year to get my court sense and timing down my serve is coming along well.

I remember the good days when I could crank them up into the mid 120s ... Now I top out at around 1o7-108.

Actually my real weapon was my serve, otherwise I'm pretty much a counter puncher.

I find the weakest part of my game right now is my volleying ... I win my points at net, but I tend to use the frame most of the time.

I, to, am looking at winter tennis. The courts I play at now only 3 of them are covered. It's also as expensive a a permanent structure.

Brent

7. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Former 5.5 USTA junior as a teen. Demolished my ankle in an accident and never played much after that (took away my mobility). Sometimes I think about picking up a racket again but it's been so many years since I've played. And at 33 I'm not getting any younger.

8. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

9. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I think I would be ~4-4.5, save the inconsistency in my serve. I need to go buy a hopper and just sit out for a few hours serving. I've been going out lately and practicing for an hour or two at a time and it's gotten much better, but I still need to get my 2nd serve more consistent (without just plopping it over.)
    I really want to play with the Head Si18 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1847544102 -- only $149!) too. I've read a lot of positive things, but really like that fact it weighs just a hair over 8oz. If I wasn't on the dole, I would buy one just for curiosity sake.
    And yeah, my grandparents just stopped playing tennis on their 80th birthdays. That had only played doubles since they had turned 70, anyway. You can play and be competitive for quite awhile.

10. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i've got the prince thunder uber light thing. i think it is the lightest racket at 8oz strung. it really isn't very good. i really like my backhands and serve with it....but it's just too light for descent control of my forehand. so now i use a prince graphite classic that i'm "borrowing" from a friend.

11. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I've put a lot more years on the tennis court than I have in home theater. I played on the satellite tour and challenger series a number of years ago. I remained a teaching pro for most of the nineties...only recently changing careers.

12. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

my best friend an I played doubles on the high school varsity team.

some of the most fun ive ever had

we werent THAT great, but we have a few trophies and lots of memories

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

just finished two sets today. [​IMG]
    i've got a bud who i play with on occasion. he's got a membership at some fitness club, so we sometimes use their courts. otherwise there are some really well maintained courts pretty close to my apartment so we often go there.
    i played quite a bit in high-school (jv and occasional varsity) but stopped when i went to college. i've also got a bad back so that keeps me down.
    for a while not too long ago i was playing probably four nights a week, but my partner (who was crashing with me) moved out so that stopped.
    i wouldn't mind boning up on my game. i used to have a killer backhand (my coach always liked to use me as the "demo backhand guy") but the rest of my game blows chunks now.
    anyone in sac wanna hit? [​IMG]

14. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Michael, I came so close to turning pro before a drunk driver hit me and my girlfriend head on. After a couple of surgeries, my ankle was never the same. At only 5'7", I depended on speed and mobility to win matches. That disappeared after the accident.
    I still have all my equipment in storage...my stringer, a bunch of Wilson Pro-Staff rackets, lots of tennis bags, and tons of tropies. It still angers me that someone, in one careless moment, can ruin the dreams of another. [​IMG]
    I did occasionaly play for fun in the 90's. I gave lessons now and then and helped coach our high school team. But I haven't picked up a racket since around 96 or 97. Golf is my new love. Too bad I still suck at it.

15. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Todd H-
    I am sorry to hear of your accident. I hope your girlfriend was ok. I knew a local player who played on the tour and died in a car accident in between tournaments. His family is still active in the tennis community here and his sister even made it to the quarters of Wimbledon about a decade ago.

It is inspiring to hear that you continued to help others in tennis, despite being deprived of your chance. I also heavily relied on footspeed and tenacity to pull me through matches. The game has evolved greatly in recent years where power has really dominated. Great speed and cunning counterpunchers have to work even harder to keep up with the pure hitters out there.

It's hard to believe that the fastest recorded serve in a tournament in 1990 was only about 119 mph. Pete Sampras himself was just breaking through as a future dominant player when he did that. It was only when Greg Rusedski and Mark Phillipoussis started cranking it up in 94 and 95 that we started to hear about the laser serve speed topping 120, 130, 140..topping off at 149!!

16. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    The game has definitely changed. Players are getting bigger and stronger. Racket technology has improved greatly. I used to love playing bigger players because I could run them around the court until they ran out of gas. I'm not sure I could do that today with some of the players on tour. Scary. I do have to give props to Andre though. He continues to play great even into his 30's. I saw him play in a final the other day and when he's on, I'm not sure anyone can beat him.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Let me preface this by saying, I've never been a good tennis player (though my friends and I would play in the evenings in our high school days), but did pick up tennis again 3 years ago and enjoyed playing for that summer. Then I got this stone bruise on the ball of my left foot, and it made it too painful to be out on the court all day hobbling with the pain from the bruise that never really went away. Plus, I also have a sore arch in my left foot too. And when I did play for a long time, my right knee would become achy, so I don't play much anymore.

There aren't too many things in this world as sweet as a well-struck cross court backhand winner.

I'd probably by on the C level for ALTA, but I do marvel at what the tennis pros can do with a tennis ball, simply amazing stuff.

18. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I don't know if I would call myself one anymore. Played all through my senior year on my high school tennis team, and then off and on my freshman year of college. However space in West Los Angeles is at a premium so there aren't many public courts, so I haven't picked up my racket in nine years. However the other day my girlfriend got me to play badminton, and I noticed some of my old tennis tendencies coming back (knees always bent, anticipating where it would be hit, etc.). Of course I also learned that tennis and badminton are completely different racket motions...

19. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Started playing tennis as a sophmore in highschool in order to get in shape to play volleyball. I was dead last on the team and was lucky to get a backhand in. There were only 20 players so I got to play JV #3 doubles. If there were any more players on the team, I would not have played. That summer, I bought a tennis instruction book by Vic Braden and basically taught myself to play. As a junior I made varsity #9 but lost a couple of challenge matches and was #1 JV. As a senior I played #3 singles. Now I am 36 and play occaisionally. All the shots are still there, but I am not as consistant as before.

20. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Bill Buklis
    Hey, Bill, great to hear your tennis game's improving. Too bad we never did get the chance to get a match in while in L.A. But, if you ever drop by in Chicago, I'll hook you up.
    Unfortunately I never played high school tennis. Although I dabbled I never played much tennis in those days. My high school sport in those days was Cross Country. Now I think I should be able to make the team no problem. Probably not the top player, but at least on the team.
    Nowadays I play mostly indoor tennis. It's almost gotten to the point, where an outdoor court feels like a foreign country. [​IMG] I have to get out more.
    It's too late for this summer, but in late May check out the USTA website for info on USA League Tennis in your area. It's a lot of fun playing team tennis. In addition all of your matches (good or bad [​IMG]) are listed on their website.
    Also a lot of clubs have winter leagues. So if you're interested check those out. Typically they run from Sept through April/May.
    I play for Mid-Town Tennis Club in Chicago for the USTA summer team (USA League Tennis) and their Chicago area Winter Team League.