What's new

So who is buying Spiderman? (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Damn. I did expect Xbox to have the best graphics but not the GC over PS2!

Jeff

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
which I haven't heard yet. Is it any good?
From the few who have seen the movie so far, the score has got a mixed reaction. Some thought it was great, others felt the lack of an obvious theme really let the whole thing down. There's no score CD release out anytime soon either, the "songs from and inspired by" cash in album just has 2 Elfman tracks.

Dan

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I haven't been following the score discussion very closely (read: at all), but I would like it to be known that if the phrase "Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can..." doesn't appear in either the movie or the game, I will be bitterly disappointed. :)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Ok, I got my copy today too.

First let me tell anyone who is planning on trading in two console games for Spidey (at Electronics Boutique) if you bring two PS2 games you can only get a PS2 Spider-Man, same goes for Cube and Xbox.

Second, I've been buying my games at EB for a long time, and I dont know about other locations but the store here in Delaware is NEVER sold out of a game, be it PC, XBox, PS2, anything. Today I showed up with my 2 Xbox games, wandered around for a min, then got in line. Two other guys were right behind me. I went up and got the second to last Spider-Man for XBox...they had to take mine down from display! The woman at the register said XBoxs Spider-Man is selling like nothing they've seen. So I get my copy and go to look at the PC games. The next guy buys the last Spidey and the third guy throws the biggest bitch-fest I've heard becuase they were sold out. The woman even called the two other DE locations and they couldnt spare copies to send her tomorrow.

Anyway, on to the game...

All I can say is wow. This game looks fantastic. The opening movie, the in-between sequences, its all amazing. I read Spider-Man for years as a kid and so far this game is the best representation of those comics I've seen. It has the feel of the PS1 games - that ability to roam, crawl on celings, swing around the city - but this one feels...more adult-ish.

You should see how Spidey moves when web swinging, they nailed the agility in his legs when doing this, I was blown away.

Spoiler, just incase...

The first and second level your not even in your Spidey costume, your in something that Parker must have thrown together very quickly, sweatshirt, pants, gloves, red shoes, red mask. And man does it look great, kind of reminiscent of the Scarlet Spider. So far I've seen three costumes - Peter Parker (Tobey), Sweatshirt Spidey, and Spider-Man.

It looks like theres a ton of extra stuff packed on this disc and now that I've torn myself away from the XBox long enough to tell all of you, I've gotta go back.

Pick this disc up ASAP, if your a Spider-Man fan you wont be disappointed...

JQ

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Wow...
I guess there was some small interest in picking this up :)
I would've gotten it earlier,but I went to a Triple A baseball game. ( You probably would too,if you were getting paid to go..)
Anyways, I have the XBox version & I'll post some thoughts later.
Calvin

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Jeff - IGN ranked them as follows in terms of visuals:
1) XBox
2) GC
3) PS2
How great the differences are between the 3 systems? - that wasn't clearly defined.
Yeah, I remember a couple of months ago, I noticed Gerald Villoria of Gamespot posting on a board regarding the game. His ranking (of the preview version) was the same. In fact, he basically went crazy over the Xbox version of the game, calling it one of the best-looking games he'd ever seen and even saying that he wanted an Xbox just to have that version of it. Pretty high praise from a guy who works for Gamespot :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Hmmm, maybe I will hold off til I buy an X-box since it seems the best version out there...aww my poor old Gamecube needs some action!

Dan

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but xbox owners should be warned ahead of time, that there are some aliasing issues to contend with. How sensitive you are to these you can judge for yourself, but, I found them bothersome enough to detract from the overall visual look of the game. I didn't expect to see them, so they came as a surprise to me.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jason - this is a buy!
It does have the feel of the PSOne games,but completely taken to the next level.
So far, the graphics are sharp, & the 5.1 is being used to great effect.
There are some extras to open up, & I have to play some more.
And besides, Bruce Campbell does the training voice-overs!
How cool is that?? :D
More later...
Calvin

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Yes, this is a must-buy.

I've enjoyed every web-swinging moment of it. The aeriel stuff is awesome.

The controls and the camera take a little getting used to, but it comes pretty naturally after a while.

I totally dig the "special effects" they use when youre Spidey Sense is telling you something's wrong.

Anyhow, anyone with an XBox should own this game. I can imagine that the PS2 and GC versions are good, too...but thank goodness for the 'Box.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Ah man...my Best Buy didn't have it this morning so I bought $100 worth of CDs instead. Well...I don't really need to pay that auto insurance bill this month anyway...& that IGN Insider subscription that expires at midnight can kiss my ass. Bankruptcy, here I come!

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I blame Spider-Man for me not getting any work done. I've gotten a little further in the game and I still have no complaints (well except the rather selective Spider-Sense), but thats acceptable.

I'm climbing the Vultures tower right now and GRRRR...its pissing me off (in a good way) those spider robots keep blowing up in my face then pushing me to something else that blows up and it all goes to hell.

Man, did they nail the Shocker or what!? It seems they pulled him right from the comics. All his moves and everything. Havent seen much of the vulture yet, but I imagine its just as good.

Man, if Mysterio or Hobgoblin or the Lizard were in this I'd be in heaven.

Ok, I'm turning off my Spidey nerdyness right now...

JQ

Ike

Screenwriter
IGN has reviewed this for the PS2. They gave it an 8.4, but I can't read the review (not an insider.) The X-Box and Gamecube versions aren't up yet.

I was going to hold off on this, since I beat the original Spiderman game for the PS1 in a day. I've decided to go ahead and try to find it and get it. I guess my main question is how long is it? 10 hours is fine, but the original was very short, something like 5 or 6 hours.

But it just looks too fantastic to pass up (and I even re-beat the original in the time of the rental, and it was still fun.)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Here's the part of their review that mentions the length of play:

You'll have to play this at least two-three times to get all the combo moves. Ten to 12 hours the first time through, plus another 10 or so.
Plus the Xbox version is about 30 minutes longer, according to the interesting Insider comparison between the 3 versions.

-Dan

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
BTW, This game is tough! I had a hell of a time beating a bunch of thugs with guns in a warehouse till I figured out how to beat them.

Tough!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Definite :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: from me as well.
The agility of Spidey is well captured. Spidey looks great and moves very well. Graphically the levels are nicely done with wide open expanses and no sign of fog.
Sound is nicely implemented as well and comments from people below are pretty cool. Bruce Campbell's commentary sprinkled throughout is quite nice as well.
Minor quibbles - can't descend down to the street and the training levels only have wire grids in some cases - would have preferred buildings instead.
Other than that it's quite a blast too play and a nice addition to the XBox library.
Wish list - would like to be able to switch to first person perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks