What's new

So who is buying Shiny Entertainment then? (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Pretty much all the gaming sites are reporting this but it hasnt yet been mentioned who the potential buyer is...MS perhaps???

"Interplay Entertainment has announced that it is in the advanced stages of negotiations with a potential buyer of Shiny Entertainment, the development studio that created Sacrifice, Messiah, and MDK and is currently developing The Matrix for the Microsoft Xbox. The sale is intended to help fund Interplay's future growth. Company representatives confirmed that the sale of Shiny would include all games in development at the studio, including The Matrix."

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
i was going to but then thought, wait that David Perry guys an ass, no way I want to work with him. :D
Thinking about how big an ass DP is he would get along with Trip Hawkins I bet, maybe 3DO should buy them.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I didn't know about DP being an ass, maybe you can explain that to me, Kelley. (I enjoy the juicy behind-the-scenes gaming talk)

MDK 2 is one of my favorite games of the last 5 years, so I hope to see these guys keep it up. (I also think that Messiah had some very good moments in there along with the poor controls & other problems...never played Sacrifice though)

-Dan B

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Of course, MDK2 was designed & programmed by another company, and as far as I'm concerned stomps all over the original. Just way way too difficult.
The smart tip is on Microsoft - they've already invested heavily in the Matrix franchise & it's in their best interests to keep Shiny afloat to finish the title. Of course, Interplay are allegedly desperate for cash & are also due to pay Microsoft their loans back if the XBox Matrix game is delayed past a certain date. They also have to pay back the 'loan' if certain features make it into the other platform conversions too ;)

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this was intentional or not, but when I came to this forum this post was right under the 'So who is buying Spiderman?' post. Thought that was pretty funny.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Sounds about right, Romier. I wasn't completely sure of my memory, so I didn't mention the name.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Oh...Shiny didn't do MDK 2? Well, screw 'em then. ;) I never did play MDK, how does it compare to MDK 2, apart from not being as good apparently?
Now, on to the gossip about Dave Perry being an ass, Kelley...
-Dan B

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Bioware did do MDK2

Do you not remember DP's chatter about Messiah being the greatest thing ever, his chatter about Messiah sounded like Derek Smart now that I think about it....also a friend of mine tried to get him to autography his copy of Messiah at a press function for Messiah and DP refused, my friend said that his hands were full with these two bimbo looking girls.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I met David Perry and his original Earthworm Jim team at CES one year. I never realized he was a Brit until I heard him speak.

We were all at the Sega booth watching the unveiling of Sega's doomed 32X. Even then it was obvious to me this accessory would crash and burn.

Mr. Perry, on the other hand, was totally buying Sega's hype. He and his whole team were singing its praises...and dissing me for my perceived pessimism.

I pretty much stopped believing all the hype about him after that.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
He's a Brit who made it and is filthy rich... Reason enough for me to hate him. :)
Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
It's been announced that Infogrames is the new owner of Shiny. damnit, I lost the newslink...read it at Link Removed
-Dan

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I met Dave Perry at the Interplay/Shiny booth at E3 back when it was in Atlanta.
He is a big, giant, colossal ass.
The good thing was they had an open bar with free drinks in their restricted booth. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks