What's new

So who else has been screwed by Best Buy? (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Ever been in Walmart and seen something stocked behind the wrong sign? They gladly give it to you for the price marked, as it was their mistake. Right? Of course. Not Best Buy though. I was in there a while ago when Tears of the Sun was on ad for $5.99(?). This particular Best Buy has part of an isle that's all weekly ad items. So there was a space just for Tears of the Sun with a sign that says "Tear sof the Sun" and "$5.99." Well, the shelf was full of the Extended Cut of the film, which is obviously more expensive. Figuring it was their mistake and they'd honor the price just like Walmart, I grabbed one. Some prick customer service manager refused to give it to me for that price, instead insisting I buy a copy of the theatrical edition that he went and found. BULLSHIT. Any other store would've honored the advertised price on the wrong edition because it was on the ad rack like that. I had no problem with a mispriced item at Circuit City once a while back. I seriously hate Best Buy. I don't like going in there anyway, since the assholes don't open til 11 on Sunday mornings and CC is open at 10. I know if I ever find an item like that in Best Buy again I'm not leaving til I talk to the store manager/director. I walked away too easily last time.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
"Wow" is right.

How were you "screwed"? You tried to get them to give you a sale price on a different item than what was advertised. They refused. Who cares where it was shelved - everything is computer inventoried these days, and the CS manager was within his rights to refuse the sale price on the Extended cut since the ACTUAL sale item (theatrical cut) was in stock.

If the Extended cut had been physically stickered with the sale price, then I might be a little more sympathetic.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I got The Hills Have Eyes II ($10 tag) for $2.97 at Walmart becuase of this same type of error, and the clerk at Walmart didn't give me the slightest amount of trouble over it. Best Buy just sucks.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I have a “I’ve been screwed by Best Buy story” as well….but it is a little different.

For the Holidays, my wife wanted a new iPod nano – I picked one up at Best Buy…..but when I brought it home, I found I got the 4 GB version instead of the 8 GB….

She is really into digital photos….so I figured I better take back the 4 GB and get the 8 GB so she could store some photos….

During that week I decided to make the upgrade, I got a coupon in the mail for triple the rewards bonus points if you spent over $100.00 on any purchase in the next week….so I figured I might as well redeem this coupon when I swapped the un-opened product and forked out the extra $$$$ for the more expensive one…

When I went to do this, the guy say that the purchase really only counted in the difference in the two products, not the whole cost of the more expensive product. I asked him what the difference is – if I would just return one, and then come back the next day and buy the other – then the full cost would be applied to the triple points. It is a little bit of a drive for me to make, so I asked him to just allow the full purchase price to count for the reward points.. He wouldn’t budge.

So instead of around a $200.00 purchase showing up as a $600.00 rewards perchance, I was credited with a $50.00 purchase and could not use the 3X coupon…..

What pissed me off is why would he care if I used this coupon or not – the rewards just send you a discount in the mail if you reach certain levels….and these are only good in their own stores. It just didn’t make much since to me….

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Why not just return the 4GB model. Walk around. Get the 8GB model, and use the coupon for the 8GB model purchase.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I've had good and bad at Best Buy. In the past couple of weeks it's been good. Got the Best Buy exclusive Aquaman pilot bonus dvd on a $14.99 Smallville set, Wow. Picked up Star Trek HD DVD season one for $179.99, then, the following week they had it for $129.99 and matched the price. No fuss,No muss. I absolutely love that 30 day policy of thiers. Now,Circuit City is my biggest pain in the ass store. Every time I go there no one in that store knows a damn thing about anything other than when thier next F***ing break is. Now, that may not be every CC, but, it damn sure is the one in my area.

THXTheSounds

Agent
Real Name
Cody
On one hand I understand your frustration, as it was misleading, but consider both sides of the argument. If they made that policy widely known, any asshole (pardon my french, and this is not in any reference to you) could take the price tag off an expensive item and put it on an identical but more expensive item. Especially in a store like Best Buy where most everything is rather pricey. Walmart can afford anything, you could rob a whole store and that'd be worth less than a penny to the people who make the store's policies. Just consider both sides of this plight before getting too upset.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Why not just return the 4GB model. Walk around. Get the 8GB model, and use the coupon for the 8GB model purchase."

I was on a lunch break and needed to get back....time was running out - I did point this out to him though, but at this point I had to get going. I learned my lesson - never return and/or exchange something with a time crunch....

From my earlier post, I did point that out to the guy, but he was not having it....and seeing that this is the guy that would have to give me the store credit for the item in the first place, I was kind of stuck....

"I asked him what the difference is – if I would just return one, and then come back the next day and buy the other – then the full cost would be applied to the triple points. It is a little bit of a drive for me to make, so I asked him to just allow the full purchase price to count for the reward points.. He wouldn’t budge."

Either way, I felt that this was poor customer service on his part....why make me jump through hoops when all he had to do was say "Yes, if you returned the 1 item, and bought the second item, you could use the tripple points - since you have both items in hand, let me do that for you"....instead of the "You only spent $50.00 today, so I guess you can't use your coupon...." crap....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did you ask for a manager once the "help" became uncooperative? If this was the manager, you could have asked for his name, and then sent a letter to the corporate office for Best Buy. It may not have helped, but you would have given them a piece of your mind on this inflexible employee of theirs.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I can see the OP's point, however. There was a large display with several mis-marked titles. The store should have honored the price then hauled ass over to the display and made sure it was right. That's good business practice. You screw up, you fix it (and keep the customer happy) and then fix the price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In one way I can see both posters' point, particularly Martino's. On the other hand, I would hardly call not getting to take advantage a retailer's mistake as "being screwed." I have never had the slightest problem making retailers follow up on mistakes like that though. The few times that has happened with me, I simply state that they are required by law to honor the price they have posted. If you argue with them, you simply come across as weak and seem like you are trying to change their stance. You won't. The goal is to force them to do what they are required to, not to convince them of anything.

Regarding the iPod, it is kind of a similar situation. In the time you spent arguing and trying to get them to do it the way you wanted them to, you could have just returned the unopened iPod for full credit, then walked over to a checkout and bought the other one, using the coupon. It probably would have taken less time, and you would have gotten what you were really looking for. That is, unless your real goal was to convince them they were wrong.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I was not there to argue with the guy.....he already had my retured iPod, and was the same guy that had to process the return. I was on my lunch break, and had already waited in line for 20 minutes to see the guy in the first place. Like I said, it is not good to be in a hurry when returning items, and I didn't expect it to be such an ordeal. He had already processed the entire thing. In hindsite - I guess I could have said - Void the entire transcaction, and just refund me the money on the original one"....and then did as you sugested......if I had the time...

It's too late now...what's done is done....I'm just not too happy about it.....

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all
I have a thought!
If thay had the right DVD for the sale,YYYYYYY was the wrong or
more $ DVD in the slot sounds like bait and swich?
Brian

bogelo

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew T
Bestbuy in my area (silicon valley) sucks big time, the magnolia home theater is even worse.
It should be worstbuy.

Circuit city a little bit better on price adjustment.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Couldn't possibly be because someone--a customer or their child perhaps-- picked it up and put it back in the wrong place or because someone moved the price sign in the hope they'd be able to convince the store to give them the lower price on the higher-priced item... :crazy:

manishj15

Auditioning
Real Name
Manish
I have Worstbuy. I would never ever spend a dollar in that place again. I purchased a 32" flat panel tv through their website. I also purchased the mount that was recommended for that tv from the website. I bought it for my brother as a house warming gift. Since he just bought the house, he was fixing it up and didnt mount the tv until 2 months after i bought the tv. We spent an hour mounting the tv to the wall only to find that the mount was made for smaller tv's. So I took it back with the packaging and receipt to exchange for the right mount, and they wouldn't let me exchange it or get a store credit. I told them that the website recommended the wrong mount and that it was their fault and I just want to exchange it for the right one and pay the difference. They refused, so I was stuck with a mount I couldn't use and had to go somewhere else and buy the right mount. I will never spend another dollar at that scam store.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member

Since the item was in the store, they didn't bait you to come in and purchase it. Also, they had the correct item in stock available for the advertised price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks