What's new

So who all went out and bought Star Wars toys today? (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
So who all got up early and went out to buy Star Wars toys today? How "rare" were the store exclusives in your area? Better yet, who spent all of their DVD funds for the next two months?

For those who don't know, today was the day that all of the Revenge of the Sith merchandise went on sale at local stores. Everything from action figures, to key chains, to costumes, to (my favorite) the Mr. Potato Head Darth Vader or Darth Tater. The three major toy retailers, Walmart, Target & Toys R Us, each had an "exclusive" item for sale at limited quantities (50,000 each I believe).

Chris S.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I picked up the Jakks Star Wars game unit at Wal-Mart this afternoon, and my 3-month-old daughter and I had our picture taken with a couple of people dressed in Jedi gear at the Star Wars display booth. Everyone who saw the picture said that it was the cutest picture of all that had been taken! :D

I would have gotten Darth Tater, but they were all sold out. Nickel to a dollar you could go on eBay and search for it, and they'll be really up there in price.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I got a Darth Tater about two weeks ago from Toys R Us. Everyone at work thinks it's pretty cool :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I went. I found the first 33 figures, all of the vehicles except the AT-RT (I don't think it's out yet), the Unleashed figures, and all of the deluxe figures. Got all three exclusives, too. The Wal-Mart Early Bird wasn't rare at all--there were tons of them, and the Lava Vader wasn't hard to get because there weren't too many people at Target.

Jamie Goff

Agent
I ordered the Early Bird Special online (none at my Wal-Mart), and got the Art of Episode III book. I consider that a toy because I will have more fun with the book than anything else I could get.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I think the 12" Sith villain pack (or whatever its called) has a terrible headsculpt and for $39.99 it could have been better. I ordered the other 12" figures on line, most of those are kewl.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I was surprised by how easy the Target Vader was to find. Given that there are 1300+ auctions on ebay for them already it seems it was easy to pick up everywhere. I also picked up the Walmart Early Bird. Actually I ordered one online after not finding any and then my wife called me and found one at another store. Seems she always finds the more elusive stuff.

I'll definitely order the books (especially the art book Jamie mentioned) after I see the movie. If I bought it now I would just be too tempted to read through everything and possible spoil some of the movie. I've been too good this time around not to read too many spoilers to ruin it now.

The only thing that I really wanted but wasn't able to find (yet) were the Walmart Titanium vehicles. I found one lone Millenium Falcon at one store just sitting on a shelf but that was all. I suppose they could have all been bought during the midnight opennings (I was way to tired for that) but I doubt it since I never even saw any empty pegs for them.

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
Went to a midnight madness @ ToysRus on friday with my wife. Found the 5 sith figures I wanted in the mob frenzy thanks to my wife's help. But it was so much fun. We took a camera and took pictures. My wife brought me back to reality though when we stopped at a bar for a beer to celebrate our victory. She said she had never been shopping with so many nerdy guys before.:laugh:

Went to Target at 8 in the morning to get the Vader. They gave out tickets and I think they sold all 20. We grabbed two but danm $13 dollars is expensive, hoping to sell one on e-bay.
Went on e-bay and saw some going really high. Now it seems like everyone who bought one is trying to sell theirs.:rolleyes:That is my luck.

Had a lot of fun though especially since this is probably the last one.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
No dice on the Target Lava Vader for me. I didn't arrive early, but I never saw any out on the pegs. I bought one from someone at RS for $20. Not too horrible.

I did get the Early Bird ordered online, and I plan on getting the Holo Yoda on the 10th.

I picked up 21 of the first 32 figs. I may just stick with those. Not sure if I'm going to pick up all the others.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Well I had to give up the collecitng a few years ago for numerous reasons, although these are mighty tempting. I'm moving into a house where I finally have some display room, so I may "relapse" and get some of the Lego stuff.

All I picked up was the novel and the TRU exclusive Trivial Pursuit DVD game in the tin. Felt good to buy some stuff on release day. :D

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I got mostly baddies in the $5 range. R2 and C-3PO also. I got 2 of the DV's one to open, one to keep. The wife got a Clone Trooper, I also got the action figure sized Anakin/Darth Vader changer and the Ultimate Villain Vader 12 incher.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Come on now, am I the only one who bought the Darth Vader voice-changing helmet? That sucker even fits over my huge noggin.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I have the Vader voice changer, it is pretty cool. I usually stay away from Kenner's action figures, i've never been impressed with them. Of course your talking to someone who buy's exclusively from either Todd McFarlane or NECA, so my standards are really high as far as accuracy goes.

I am going to pick up the new lightsabers, though, they look nice, they'll look cool on my wall in a criss-cross sword patteren. :)

Can you imagine a parody involving Darth Tater...

Anakin Spudwalker...
"Don't get me wrong, Obi-tater is a great mentor, i'm truly thankful that he's my masher. But in a lot of ways, i'm really ahead of him. I AM ready for the deep fryer, but he feels i'm too unpredictable, he won't let me move on, it's not fair!"

"I will be the greatest baked potato ever, I promise you!"

;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I think they've gotten really good (compared to price of course) over the last couple of runs (specificaly OTC).

Jamie Goff

Agent
Hey, to those that got the Early Bird Special promotion, what does the number read in the lower right hand corner. Mine reads 1- 50,000. Do they all read that, or did I manage to get the first one (yipee). If I got the first one I guess I can't open it and send it in for the figures, if they all read 1-50,000, I guess can.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Just picked up the ROTS hardcover novelization - man, does that look like a cool read indeed! It'll go well with my copies of the other two prequel hardcover novelizations. And I saw in today's USA Today book listings that it's hit the list at #4 - pretty impressive indeed! :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

They all read 1 of 50,000 so you didn't get the very first edition. I wish they had numbered them individually but o'well. I suppose it kept people from fighting over the lowest number in the store.

Hasbro also released a picture of the four figures from the Early Bird mail-in. Look pretty good although I wonder if they are going to come carded or not?

Tina Lee

Second Unit
I bought two of the CUTE Darth Taters on eBay a few days ago - bid on two and actually won two. I only wanted one, so I have one left over.

Is there a place here at HTF to sell this? I am a Gold Trader in the Software Forum. I am not looking to make money on this as I realize eBay is flooded right now, even though it's unavailable in the stores...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks