What's new

So who all is getting the X-BOX? (1 Viewer)

Rob_McK

Auditioning
quote: ...you don't need to take it upon yourself to try to convince them otherwise. You've tried arguing every angle (many, many times), and it's just... pointless.[/quote]
Amen. Make that many, many, many, MANY times.
[Edited last by Rob_McK on September 28, 2001 at 01:08 PM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Mate had a good look at JSRF the other day, Kelley, at the Infogrames Europe press event. Says it looks very good, very polished - much more stylised than the DC game, but the core gameplay is the same.
Good!!! There was no need to change the gameplay, as I found it perfect. Again More of the Same will please me more than enough.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, I still honestly think that if it's a good game, it will be just another FPS
As I see it, Halo is another FPS (not too good looking of one either), Amped is another snowboarding game, DoA3 is DoA2 with better graphics and sound (nothing changed on gameplay), Bloodwake is another water racing game, and Project Gotham is another racing game only with hit detection. The XB is focusing its games around popular series' or genres, but totally forgot about everything else. Luigi's Mansion is more of a puzzle game, and I like puzzle games. Pikmin is sort of a RTS/action game, and I like RTS game. I have no interest in another racing or sports game or even a stereotypical FPS that offers nothing new. DoA3 looks good, but it probably plays just like the DC and PS2 versions, making the graphics its main selling point (which is sad).
The GCN has more diversity in its launch lineup than the XB, plus the games are made by Nintendo. Even people who don't like Nintendo have liked Super Smash Brothers or Mario 64. I doubt Nintendo will screw up its games, and if it does, that would be a game or two out of a bunch of other games. Nintendo even has the Resident Evil series, which is worth a GameCube by itself.
Other than being slightly more powerful than a GCN, I see no reason to even consider buying an XB. You do, and thats good for you.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Sigh, there is so much wrong with that statement that its not worth trying to argue with it. Mark down Morgan for a nay on the Xbox I guess.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Damn...every time I see Halo I can't help but think how amazing the game looks.
Just goes to show you that we're all different.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Frederick

Second Unit
I will be getting one, just not at launch. I'm going to get the Gamecube on November, one because it's cheaper, and two there are games on the `cube that I REALLY want to play. The X-Box will be a Jan-Feb purchase, after I recover from Christmas :) ...
Freddy C
------------------
" ... Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much ..."

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
As I see it, Halo is another FPS (not too good looking of one either), Amped is another snowboarding game, DoA3 is DoA2 with better graphics and sound (nothing changed on gameplay), Bloodwake is another water racing game, and Project Gotham is another racing game only with hit detection. The XB is focusing its games around popular series' or genres, but totally forgot about everything else.
You miss the point entirely. I just do not see the the gameplay of Metroid translating well into a FPS game. I have nothing against FPS games or any other genre.
Also, Bloodwake another water racing game?? WTF? Did you not notice all the guns and things? I don't think you even know what the game is. It's not even a racing game.
Aaron

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I had read somewhere that Bloodwake was a water racing game. My bad.
Bloodwake now looks like Twisted Metal on water, not really original.
If the XB gets a game that is completely original or amazing (and not just polygons and reflections) like ICO, then maybe I would take notice.
I saw some screens from Halo and it didn't look as impressive as DoA3 or RL. If the XB games can't appeal to me by gameplay or concept, the last resort is graphics, and the games haven't appealed to me that way either.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
If the XB gets a game that is completely original or amazing (and not just polygons and reflections) like ICO, then maybe I would take notice.
Give it time (look into Ego or Morrowmind)...obviously from your original thought on Bloodwake you haven't actually spent much time looking into the XBOX games. So I doubt you would know if any were "original" or not.
quote: I saw some screens from Halo and it didn't look as impressive as DoA3 or RL. If the XB games can't appeal to me by gameplay or concept, the last resort is graphics, and the games haven't appealed to me that way either.
The thing is...all those of those games are in different genres. I happen to love FPS games. The only FPS game that looks like it might be good (and it's a question mark still) is Metroid. But I still have serious doubts that it will actually feel like a Metroid...thus I would just be disappointed while I played it. So I'll stick with Halo and Unreal Championship for my FPS fix.
Aaron
[Edited last by Aaron Copeland on September 28, 2001 at 06:06 PM]

James D S

Screenwriter
Mark me down for an XBox. Everything seems to done right. I can't find a chink in the armour. Looks like it is going to be an expensive last quarter.
frown.gif

....many, many, many, many, many, many times....
icon13.gif

[Edited last by James D S on September 28, 2001 at 06:08 PM]

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Would it be possible to get a smiley putting a gun in his mouth?
I'd like to use that one...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dean-
Nice.
Aaron-
First of all, even if Metroid doesn't feel like Metroid, it could still be a VERY good game.
Second, I haven't spent much time looking into Bloodwake, but I have looked into Project Ego, Morrowind (a little), Halo, and DoA3 some. Overall, Ego looks promising, though I'm not sure how fun the game will end up, though I'm sure that it will be creative and new. DoA3 has the best graphics (no doubt) but you might as well just play DoA2 if you want to know what its like. Halo will probably be a good FPS, but it doesn't exactly blow my mind like I thought it would or like everyone says. I've been disappointed.
I can't remember the name of the game, but I saw a video of it on TechTV today and I must say that it at least runs smooth and has great graphics. The video was a short clip of a guy getting into a jeep and then it drove around a beach type area a little. Other than how it looked, it told nothing about the game.

Gary King

Second Unit
Other than how it looked, it told nothing about the game.
Bungie doesn't want to give away anything about the story. According to a friend of mine who has beaten Halo, no magazine reviewer has been shown anything past the third level, to ensure that no plot twists are ruined before the game ships.
Bungie has excelled at combining storytelling with great gameplay, and their FPS track record is fantastic. Everyone on the forums is well aware of how disappointed you want to be with the Xbox -- give it a rest.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I never said that the game looked bad, I'm just saying that it wasn't anything to holler and hoot about. I didn't see anything that amazing.
The same can be said for the GCN, such as shots from Pikmin where they are just walking around.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Holy shit guys! Does every thread need to turn into this mindless "my console is better then yours" crap?
It honestly gets very, very, very tiring!
The topic stated "Who is getting an Xbox?", so why am I reading about how the Gamecube games/system is better then Xbox and vise-versa?
I really just don't see why people can't just accept that there will be very good games on all the next gen systems, all of which will look/play tremendously well... and each system will have it's stinkers.
Buy the system that has the most games that interest you, and don't buy the other system if nothing interests you in terms of the games for it. Don't bash the system and the capabilities of it, just because you don't like the games, aren't able to afford two+ systems, etc, etc. Maybe the games don't appeal to you, but they will surely appeal to someone else... and that person will buy that system.
Anyways, rant off....
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
As I am the starter of this thread, I have to agree entirely with Andy VX. I just wanted to find out who will be getting the X-BOX like me! :)
There will be many great games for both systems: X-BOX and Gamecube, as both systems will be amazing! But please don't make comments like one is better than the other! How can you say that? Neither are out! I mean, c'mon, enough with the
chatter.gif
! As I have had many products by both Nintendo and Microsoft, I just feel that the X-BOX appeals to me, and others, more, especially now that it will have Silent Hill 2! :)
I hope both systems make it huge as I know they will! Good luck to both! :)
God bless
patriot.gif

jeffrey noel
------------------
Go WILDCATS!

Gary King

Second Unit
I was just told that Halo should have 1080i support... so now I'm torn between 480p or 1080i.
I was also told that cooperative multiplayer Halo is fantastic, especially with vehicles.
If it weren't for the new Buffy episodes, I'd be wishing October didn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks