So when will we see HD DVD???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrianEK, Jan 22, 2004.

1. BrianEK

BrianEK Stunt Coordinator

Could anyone point me in the direction of some info about HD dvd? I just bought an EDTV samsung, thinking I watch lots of movies and just got a proscan PS2, so it's good enough for now. But I thought to myself and realized I have been hearing things like HD DVD coming out within the year. I don't want to be stuck w/ a tv that won't do HD DVD, or give me the best looking picture for it cause I watch tons of movies. So any info on this new technology would be appreciated.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

True HD-DVD won't appear for probably 5 years at least, plus even when players are introduced (at ultra-high prices initially) it will take years for HD-DVD movies to be produced in quantity. So don't hold your breath!

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Funny you should ask...

I work on DVD drives and soon HD-DVD drives. Just completed a class yesterday about everything DVD, CD, CD-R, DVD+/-R, +/-RW, HD-DVD, etc. Here's the public skinny from the DVD forum, there are two formats coming your way:

AOD (also called HD-DVD)
    ------------------------

This is the officially accepted standard of the DVD forum. It uses a similar format to DVD (backward compatiblity without extra cost!) and a blue laser. It gets 15 GB per layer, can be dual-layer/dual-side (so 30 GB a side), and will likely use MPEG-4 video compression. Toshiba and NEC are the big names behind AOD.

Blu-Ray
    -------

This one has a tighter spec and is NOT similar format to today's DVD, so it might be backward compatible but it would increase drive cost. Basically backed by Sony, Philips, Matshushita, Hitachi, Sharp, Pioneer, Samsung, Thomson, and LG Elect. It uses a blue laser, gets ~25 GB a layer, is dual-layer and dual-side capable (so 50 GB a side), and likely to use MPEG-2 compression.

Both look to roll out into user models by 2005 or so. Expect extreme pricing in the first year, then better as adopted. Both work and are in the labs now, so as soon as they can roll them out they will. Which will be the betamax and which will be the VHS of tomorrow? Only your dollars and decisions will make that call. One is not superior to the other, AOD will likely be cheaper and easily play old DVDs, Blu-ray is more expensive (for drives and for media construction) but has more space per layer and therefore arguably will ahve better picture/sound.

We shall see around Xmas 2005...

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I expect it soon, like right around the corner- in the form of WM-9 enabled DVD players.

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Good grief - w/ AOD / BluRay, we'll have another DVD -/+ standard fight all over again!

6. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

why,why oh WHY can't we get ONE format? Can't people LEARN from the success of DVD?! Sigh... [​IMG]

7. Don_Berg

They have picked one, the standard is AOD. Blue-ray is not accepted by the committee.

8. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Good lord where to begin??

1. Your Samsung "EDTV" only has 480 lines. Hence, it's called an "Extended Definition", it is NOT capable of "High Definition" or HDTV. The best it will do is 480-progressive scan, aka 480p, from a suitable DVD player. That's fine if as you say you only want to watch "movies" (assume movies = DVDs) but if you want a set that is capable of HDTV, that's not it.

2. The PS2 will not output a progressive scan signal, sorry. Interlaced 480i only.

3. "HD" DVD is a pipe dream, totally blue sky stuff right now. Don't look for it being a viable format for another 5-10 years, if ever. The last thing people want is yet another format, most people just bought DVD players last year.

9. The new model released in the US 2-3 months ago is progressive (movies only, though a few games were always progressive-capable).

Can identified by the yellow '+' in the corner of the box.

Check them out at BestBuy and read the box if you like.

Box lists all the improvements; there are several.

10. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I don't expect it for at least 3 years. Even then, it'll be toys for the rich only.

DVD caught on so quickly because VHS was the only real alternative. (Not enough people had LDs) It was like going from tapes to CDs. Now that the masses have DVD, the jump to HD-DVD won't be as drastic.

And then....perhaps the initial releases would be a bare-bones version. We'll get a trailer and chapter selection as special features. Remember that!? So there less incentive for the public to buy HD-DVD, when there's a two-disc loaded version on DVD.

While we're on the subject, what's the standard for audio?

11. Don_Berg

The standards regarding compression and audio are totally up-in-the-air now, since it will be years before its in production.

12. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    It's already out in China.

EVD Players Proving Not So Hot

Apparently, sales aren't too good so far mainly because of the price of the players (about $250 US) and only a handful of titles available.

Jeff

13. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

It's like going from CD to SACD/DVDA.. and we all know how that is going

14. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I don't really see a point to HD-DVD until more movies are filmed with HD cameras. It's like putting the cart before the horse. Right now the use of HD equipment in movie making is still pretty low. George Lucas and Robert Rodriguez come to mind, but who else is actually filming movies in HD digital? Film can capture great detail, but it's not the same as HD. You can upconvert all you want, but if you want HD you need content that was done in HD to begin with.

This is why I'm not too worried about replacing my library of DVD titles when HD-DVD stabilizes. I can count on less than both hands how many titles would be noticably better as HD-DVDs.

15. KylePete

KylePete Stunt Coordinator

Joseph, actually 35mm film has greater resolution than current movies that have been shot in "HD". In the future, though, digital movies may have greater resolution. Right now, they do not. Concerning 35 mm film...it all depends on the quality of the transfer.

I think HD-DVD will catch on when HDTV catches on. The advantages of HD-DVD are "possibly slightly" smoother motion in some situations and being able to play a movie on a larger TV without the picture becoming fuzzy. So, when people upgrade their old TV's to larger ones that support HD resolutions, I think they will be inclined to look into buying an HD-DVD player

One thing is for certain, and that is that HD-DVD will eventually catch on. With HD camcorders coming down in price, HD-DVD will become much more important.

Saying that HD-DVD will be a niche market is like saying HDTV will be a niche market...even counting the FCC's mandate.

Kyle

16. Don_Berg

Yes you can see the great HD quality available from a 35mm film print on HD versions of theatrical movies broadcast on the networks like ABC and CBS in full HDTV. Its definitely higher quality than the DVD of the same movie. Film has many times the resolution of an HD video camera, even with 35mm and way more so with 70mm.

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Same reason why we couldn't have one DVD recordable or VCR format -- greed!