So When/Why Did Bose Change?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Cook, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Wayne Cook

Wayne Cook Extra

I woke up early today about 3:30 am and while running around the dial on the TV I came to SpeedVision where they were showing a Bose infomercial on the Acoustic Wave speaker system.

This is the one that looks like a bent briefcase and has a 7 foot long tube curled around inside it. The production was one of gloss with little substance and seemed to aimed at the novice audiophile (anyone still use this word?).

1970's - High end speaker system 901's.

2000's Late night infomercials hawking $1,000 systems that deliver much less sound than systems costing half the price.

Question, when did they change? and why?

I thought the idea of a stereo system that combined direct and refective sound made a lot of sense but the company seems to be stalled with 70's technology. Am I missing something or what? Is my 1970's assesment wrong?

I am hoping for some insight into what I perceive as a change in marketing during the last 30 years, rather than all out Bose bashing.

just curious.

2. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Those 901's were something, weren't they? A friend had a pair back then they seemed awsome.

3. John S Smith

John S Smith Agent

Wayne

I don't understand why people pay vast sums of money to buy Harley Davidsons either, although there is a difference in that HD (IMO) don't really have a choice, if they tried to build a modern motorcycle they would burst their own bubble.

Bose on the other hand could easily invest a tiny fraction of the premium that their products attract and produce a great product! It can't be hard to stay ahead of the pack if you can charge twice (at least) the price!

..john

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

About the Wave: It is very overpriced at $1000, true.

But... It does sound terrific. I know of no other way to get such great sound in such a compact portable unit. I even have a carrying case for mine.

Sure, there are lots of bookshelf systems and boomboxes, but I know of none that are even close to the Bose in quality and size.

5. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Bose reflecting sound did make sense but I always wondered how the 901s could produce clear highs with drivers all the same size? Now that reflecting technology is called "Bi-polar"......Which my Definitive Technology are. They sound great....Except when I placed a jar of lithium on them[​IMG]

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Bose were never high end. The 901's were deemed junk for audiophiles.
    Here is a review of it that was done by JGH, who at that time was pretty much lone voice in the high end world, in which at that time was dominated by rags like High Fidelity and Stereo Review, and now dominated by its successor Sound & Vision.
    http://www.stereophile.com/fullarchives.cgi?425

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

John S Smith said:

8. AndrewW

AndrewW Stunt Coordinator

9. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Marc,, You may want to check out this thread (http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/ta...htm#headtohead). Seems there is a much better value to be had than Bose. So what else is new. The new unit has the clock radio features, and cd player for 300.00 with the current 50 dollar rebate.

10. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

11. Danny Bonnell