So when are we going to get information on the new SVS subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Dec 21, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Just curious as to when the pricing information is going to be released for the new subs? Or when is the information about the less expensive box subs going to be revealed? Sorry, I'm just excited. [​IMG] If this information has already been talked about, I apologize.
    James

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

James,
    It has been discussed some but you are right to call us out on it. In the next few days we'll start with more info on the long awaited SVS "box subs".
    There will be two released very soon, with two more a few weeks behind them. The first two will be at opposite ends of the afford-ability spectrum.
    The B4-Plus has been discussed a good bit on this forum already with some pics being circulated too. A Beta test of this sub is under way. I'm sure a full report will be coming soon but the feedback we've gotten so far indicates it will be a very good performer. Price for the bare sub is expected to be $2,499. Packages will be offered that include Crown K1 amp (with K2 upgrade), Rane PE17 equalizer, Better Cables interconnects and even your choice of Better Cables high-power cable for the run to the sub. I think we'll be a tick under $4K for a full boat package but final pricing is still under way.
    Availability of the B4-Plus will begin around 1 JAN 03.
    The other end of our offerings will essentially be a boxed version of our famous PCi subwoofer. It'll perform very much like a 25-31PCi (which is a good thing, according to this recent review) Given our US built boxes are a bit more costly than our cylinder construction, the price will come in around $599 (or about the same as a 20-39PCi). These are all 1" walled construction, with simple black texture polymer finish. This sub will be called the PB1-ISD (don't just call it the "PB1" for short ;^). We hope to start pre-orders of the PB1-ISD around the second week of JAN 03.
    If you think this naming protocol leaves room for "PB2" models (either ISD or Plus woofers, but rather two of them) you would be right. Yet another near sub will sport a totally new BASH amp equal to the needs of dual drivers. R/D is still determining if the first will be a PB2-ISD or PB2-Plus. If I had to guess I'd say this line will be out in FEB/MAR. Price TBD. Performance should be just below dual PC/CS-Plus subs.
    Finally (at least in the near to mid-term) will be a PB1-Plus probably. It'll be a bit bigger than the PB1-ISD mentioned above and have the 525 watt BASH amp and the three way variable tuning now seen on our PC-Plus subs. This also could be out as soon as FEB/MAR.
    So while our cylinder subs will probably always have an edge in price/performance, you can see we'll take full advantage of the advantages a box form factor can offer. Namely multiple drivers, and a look that is more traditional and shorter. We'll focus on subtle and cost effective black polymer finishes but know there will be a demand for wood finishes too. Since we are still committed to a "Made in the USA" philosophy (call us old-fashioned), the wood veneered versions will be more costly probably.
    Hope this helps some. I have a number of tasks to be working over the holidays, but pics of the PB1-ISD (now running in my HT) and a pre-order page of the B4-Plus will be on my short list. And you can be Tom isn't slowing down in our R/D shop either.
    Ron

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It sure will be exiting drooling over your new products Ron. I hope to make the change over to SVS as soon as I can?

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

The question I would throw out then would it pay to get a 25-31 pci or wait and get the new PB1-ISD. Is it going to use the same amp as the 25-31 pci?
    Since size might matter for me I may have to go with the box of tootsie rolls vs the Big Tootsie Roll.

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Chad,

Hard to say. What do you value most?

The PCi (and all SVS cylinders) will tend to use up less floor space, weigh less and be easier to move. They'll cost a bit less for any given level of performance and components. Their shape is anything but traditional, but shape provides the PC's advantages too.

The PB series subs (Powered Boxes) will tend to be heavier, a bit more costly and have that more traditional box shape of course. In this case the PB1-ISD will use exactly the same amp, woofer, and port design as the PCi subs (ports tuned specifically to the PB designs naturally). They'll simply be packed into a tough 1" walled, mid-sized box, and finished in a tough textured polymer black. They'll still have a similar style to the PCi, in that they'll have downfiring woofers with integrated baseplate for stability and consisitent performance on all floor types. One little thing worth noting, you can put things on top of our box subs, something not possible with any previous SVS's (not counting our SS Cylinder Sub).

Finally, the PCi is available now, whereas the PB1-ISD won't ship till sometime in January (mid to late, depends when our supplies of enclosures are adequate to start shipping). On the flip side, there are thousands of SVS cylinders subs out there, but as yet, a grand total of one in customers' hands that uses the traditional box form factor. Early SVS box buyers will be unique out there, for a while anyway.

Hope this helps some??

Ron

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Ron will the PB2 be forward firing since it will have two drivers?

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Well I still have not made a decision and may wait till Jan/Feb before I make a purchase. Alot will depend on what the girlfriend thinks.
    I can asume that the new PB1-ISD is going to be the same output as the 25-31 pci?
    Hopefully I will be able to see a picture of the pb1-isd soon so that can help out...what are the dimensions of this box?

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Steve

Being that Ron mentioned that the ALL the PB series would be similar to that of the the PC series in that:

Would be downfiring with an intagrated base plate to help keep performance simalar on all floor types along with stability...

The PB2 is possibly an Iso-type to keep box size down, I could be very WRONG here and most likely am! As you loose more in the type design than you gain. Just a smaller box no real performance advantage.

Not a route I see them going, as they are the dollar for high perfomance king.
    They may have designed a new low FS small Vas driver, who knows...

Just have to wait and see.

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well Geoff, Ron states that one PB2 would come in at just under duel cylinder PCI+'s performance wise I think. I did miss the integrated plate so I am guessing that a guy could stack a couple of them? I still do not get how you would go with two drivers down firing? Very wide or very deep? I have not seen enough subs to know nor have I ever built one. Time will tell. Another journey.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

It isn't Iso-d although we have built quite a few of those with some very interesting test results last summer.

I would rate the overall performance around 1.5 25-31PC+ subs...perhaps erring on the conservative side a tad in that.

TV

11. Rob*Gallo

Rob*Gallo Agent

Saw the question asked earlier and haven't found the answer anywhere...

Can we get the dimensions of the PB1-ISD? Any specs?

It would be a huge help to the planning process...

12. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Rob,

About 18"w x 18"h x 20" deep. That's not counting the baseplate assembly (much like the PCi) only the basic box.

Add 3" to the height for true on the ground size.

Having just put a number of heavy demos on our photo mule I can tell you it's a very good performer and is true to the PCi roots in that regard.

Ron

13. Rob*Gallo

Rob*Gallo Agent

Ron,

Thanks! I look forward to trying one soon.