What's new

So what's wrong with my TV? (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have a 19" Sony KV-20FV10 and I've recently noticed something VERY annoying with the picture. I'll TRY to explain the best way I can....

Any time a light colored object is on a darker background or say a person's head is right next to a window (during the day) I see a reddish/purple discoloration on the lighter object. This can happen with any color, not just white, as long as there's light and dark involved.

Example: I was watching "Miss Congeniality 2" on DVD and during a scene where the kidnappers are ordering William Shatner to speak....Shatner is in the foreground, a window with daylight coming through is in the background. Since Shatner's face is right next to the window in the frame, part of his face (the part that matches up with the window) is discolored reddish/purple. Now when a kidnapper walks behind Shatner (and thereby walking in FRONT of the window) his face color is normal but as soon as he walks out of frame, the part of Shatner's face is discolored again.

I see this a LOT with bright lights during night scenes like in "Only the Lonely", at the end of the movie the train station is covered in Christmas lights and beginning with the light, the discoloration seems to smear off to the right but is only as big as the image itself.

I've tried all my TV settings but NOTHING works. I'd have to turn the brightness all the way down for any effect to happen but then I can't see anything at all.

What's the deal? Will it get worse?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
This would sound like a purity problem but you need to view a standard pattern to be positive. If you could find a solid color screen to display (local access and some specialty stations might have one ocassionally -- or the blue screen that a vcr might put up with no signal would work); then purity problems become apparrent. The screen is not a solid color but has colored, irregular, portions.

This is usually caused by unshielded speakers too close to the TV, although any metal object can become magnetized. Along with outside effects, the de-magnetizing circuit in the set can fail (not an expensive repair) or the yoke could have come loose and moved (usually happens when moving the TV), also a simple repair. A picture tube could fail this way also but that usually happens when a set is dropped.

Hope this helps, I tried to cover most of the situation that occur. (kids with magnets can happen, too)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well I always keep speakers away from my TV so I don't think that'd be the problem. It's also never moved so dropping is out of the question. ugh. I was hoping maybe it'd clear up after a few days, LOL.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Generally having a monitor near wouldn't have much effect.
However, when it turns on, the demagnetizing circuit kicks in and that could affect the TV. You might want to try turning them both on when there is a couple of feet distance between them and move the monitor into place after a few seconds and see if there is any change.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
One thing I noticed when I turn on my computer, I can see the picture on my TV "jump" ever so slightly....bad?

BTW, the biggest problem right now is this overriding problem with green. It's almost overwhelming in dark scenes, anything blue or black is mostly green now.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
A little jump is probably not important.

If the brightness is set too low, the color can be altered. (as well as an internal adjustment called "screen" or "G2"). Changes needed to the internal controls tend to indicate a picture tube or high voltage transformer failing.

These sets have a nasty tendency to odd picture tube problems. Sometimes the color is almost a pastel tint rather than pure colors. Red is closer to orange for instance. Not a lot you can do if the tube is going south on you.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well I'm thinking of just upgrading to a 27" very soon, these problems are distracting and virtually ruining my movie viewing.

Kin Poon

Stunt Coordinator
i have the same exact problem on my Insignia 26" widescreen TV. I thought it was my monitors fault at first, which is only 6-7inches away from it, but it wasn't. It turns out to be that the S-video out from my ATI videocard has some sort of interference when plugged into the TV. I tried other S-video out components such as an extra dvd player or an xbox, but it was only the ATI s-video. Once unplugged, the purplish thing disappeared along with the up and down scan lines of purple.

Kernel X

Grip
Try disabling "auto colour" in your tv menu if you have it.
I find when watching dvd's "auto colour" can do a bad job with the colour. Best of luck.
Kernel.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
How's this?

I was playing the new "Hulk" game for a few hours the other day. When I switched back to watching TV, the picture looked totally different.

It's back to NORMAL again! No green, no discoloration, nothing! It looks like it did when I first bought it.

How strange.....hopefully it'll stay that way.

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

So are you using the video card from your computer for the source for all viewing on your TV? If so then the problem is in the video card setting and not the TV. The game reset the card for the video the game wanted. Whatever was set before was causing the set grief. Not every video card setting can be displayed on a tv set besides scan rates there a color space concerns, gamma and other things. Sounds like the gamma on your card was off for you tv.

John

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

That's too bad, then there is a possible circuit fault in the tv set that will be next to impossible to find. The different signal load changed something but whether it's going to last or not is a guess.

John

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well, my TV finally blew it today. Turned it on, after a couple of hours, I heard a loud BZZZZTTTTTT and the sound/picture went. I turned it off and the sound was back but only through the left speaker and the picture went in and out, like a strobe light.

So I went and got a 27" Philips today (from Rent-a-center...couldn't afford to buy one outright at the moment and I needed a TV!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks