What's new

So whats the deal with the new JBL Studio L series (link): (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
My guess is accuracy.

Or: (kind of related to the above though) none of them uses a horn-loaded bass section, so the horns' output had to be brought down in level to match their woofer's output. Extreme example of this: the Klipsch Heresy (here's the new slightly revised version). Horn midrange and tweeter combined with a sealed(!) 12" woofer. Biggest complaint about them is usually they are too forward/bright. So many people use a sub with them.....and balance is achieved. These were originally designed to be a center fill speaker for the Klipschorns (on lots of old gear you'll see a knob or button for this feature, like this Heathkit integrated amp sold in 1962).

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Re: the Project Array series, the 8" front is 88dB sensitive, and the dual 8" center is only 90 dB ??? My guess is they purposely used less efficient woofers so as to not encroach on some much pricier JBL Synthesis speakers! :D

I mean, your horn-loaded line is less efficient than some of your standard lines?

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Look nice. I am a little confused with the sub - does it not go that deep, or are they being totally realistic and honest with the frequency responce?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

It's the nature & realistic performance of JBL's consumenr powered-sub design, ... sooooo, ... for the best performance for the price, ... think SVS!!! :D

Phil

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Optimal seating distance?

I've never heard of this before. :confused:

Anybody know what that means?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This JBL sub uses an acoustic suspension enclosure-interesting.* That, combined with its performance, almost makes it seem like it was optimized a bit more for music playback than movie soundtracks.

Or: since several of the "L" series models are wall-mountable & so (I'm assuming) are supposed to be more inconspicuous, maybe JBL's marketing people wanted a sub that could still go pretty low, but in a size that better blended with the wall-mounted speakers?

* I haven't seen such a design from them since around 1994, when I sold HT gear. All I will say about that 12" sub (the PS120?; and it was very small) is that the Cambridge SoundWorks 12" sub-which used the same enclosure type-we sold at the same time totally beat the pants off the JBL. Even the AudioSource 12" sub sounded better to us. We sold very few of the JBLs. :frowning:

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Sealed enclosures will start to roll off at a higher frequency, but with a shallower slope (12 dB per octave instead of 24 dB per octave). It is a design decision. e.g. all M&K subs are sealed design.

There are pros and cons for each style (sealed vs. ported). I'm sure there are tons of pages out there that go over all of these.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Richard: I brought up that issue only because JBL uses bass reflex designs 99% of the time, not because I don't like acoustic-suspension subs/conventional speakers. I'm fully aware of their differences (and how touchy this subject can be on a forum like this). I actually wanted to buy an Adire Rava sub with my tax refund this year-a sealed 12"-but last year Adire redesigned it slightly and doubled(!) the price to $800, so it's now off my list. And, my own 5.1 system is configured for optimum reproduction of *music*, so I don't need diarrhea-inducing bass capabilities. :)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
LanceJ:
Gotcha. It's funny about JBL. You're right that they mostly have ported subs, but then some of the lower JBL Synthesis lines use sealed subs. I guess they just do whatever suits a particular lineup instead of having an all encompassing design philosophy (for sealed vs. ported subs anyway).

joseph westcott

Second Unit
I recently bought a new HT speakersound system and I considered the JBL's but it seems that there are just too many gaps in their product line to compete with other mfgs.

I think their technology is awesome, but their marketing and product line needs rethinking.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion TOO many product lines can translate to diminished quality-if anything I wish JBL had fewer choices to be perfectly frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks