So whats the deal with that "Avacor" hair growth stuff??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, May 24, 2006.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

It has to be all BS or they wouldn't need to be selling during informercials or late night re-runs.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    You're questioning infomercials? Somewhere in America, Ron Popeil just sobbed.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Heh. You should see this commercial for "Hervamatin", a shampoo that fights "alopecia, baldness, and thinning hair" (apparently it doesn't cure redundant sales pitches, though). They have tons of "before and after" pictures, but they all invariably follow the same formula: The "before" shot shows a guy with a buzzcut, while the "after" shot shows him with longer hair... BUT WITH THE SAME RECEDING HAIRLINE. Picture Hugo Weaving being used as a model of what the treatment can accomplish, and you'll ghave the right idea. I can't believe people actually buy that stuff on the strenght of such a lame commercial.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I think Avacor's active ingredient is minoxidil, the same as Rogaine.

5. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

Screw it, shave off what little hair you have left. The bald look is in!! At least that's what I keep telling myself.

tyler payne

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

I think Avacor claims to be a complete approach so it likely contains a number of other ingredients that don't do anything in addition to minoxidil which doesn't do anything. From what I could find based on the claims.

Avacor is a three part "hair care system" that is intended to re-grow hair. It consists of a DHT blocker, a topical solution and a scalp detoxifying shampoo. The ingredients of Avacor seem to be mostly common herbs like Ginkgo biloba, bilberry, horsetail and others like chanomelis, lobellae, notoptcryll, tarakaci adenophorae, maidenhair tree, vaccinium myrtillus, equisetum and 2, 4-diamino-6-piperidino-pyrimidine-3-oxide (minoxidil).

I think it is an excellent idea if you use minoxidil in your snake oil, that you call it 2, 4-diamino-6-piperidino-pyrimidine-3-oxide. I guess that is chemical name for minoxidil which is the generic name for Rogaine. Pretty funny stuff, hair regrowth snake oil. I am going bald too and find all of this nonsense hilarious. Rogaine won't sell well to anybody that has tried it previously since the results work out to cost about $500 per hair not lost, maybe more on average. I feel it is safe to say, you can purchase all of the ingredients used in addition to minoxidil contained in Avacor, and that would work out to a cost of infinity per hair follicle saved.

Chris

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    I may have overrated Avacor by saying it does nothing. I would be afraid of harmful effects, the chances that stuff could hurt you have to be far greater than the chances it will regrow hair.

Chris

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Amen.

I've started noticing my "inroads" getting deeper lately. I'm planning to try Rogaine sometime soon. If that fails, shaving is my "plan B". I'd rather be bald by choice than watch mother nature slowly impose it on me. Hey, it worked for Chris Daughtry [​IMG]

9. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

True or false: Male pattern baldness is hereditary. If your father is balding - you will bald eventually.

- Colton

10. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

Yeah, it's kind of like quitting a job 5 five minutes before you get fired : )

Thank God for having a head that looks good shaved.

tyler payne

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Dunno. My father at almost 60 has thick full hair with zero sign of balding. His father was bald like monk long before he passed away many moons ago. Me? I don't care, I already look like a convict anyway.

--
    H

12. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

I always heard that the gene was passed down through your mother. So look at your Gramps on your mothers side. I may be wriong, but it is actually true in my case.

tyler payne

13. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I never met my maternal grandfather, but my mom says he had a huge pompadour till the day he died, which filled me with hope years ago when my dad started balding. But it looks like I'm taking after him instead. I look NOTHING like my dad, but apparently he gave me his hairline and his poor sense of humor. Thanks, dad! [​IMG]

14. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I envy you bald (-shaven) guys. I was all in favor of this not too long ago. I've never liked my hair and almost couldn't wait to go bald so I'd have an excuse to shave it off. But now that my hairline has receded, I've come to realize that my head is shaped like Gumby's. (Mine slopes up toward the left.)

Sigh.

So when do you think the "Gollum Look" will be in style?

15. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

If you're circumcised - it makes up for it. Chicks dig it!

- Colton

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

17. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    The products being hyped on infomercials are always a ripoff. Is there even one exception? Even if one of the products actually is found to do something as advertised, it would have to quickly be available through traditional channels.

Chris

18. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

Listen, going bald for a guy is hard to accept. It can make you look older, and feel less confident. I was lucky or unlucky to start noticing a loss of hair when I was about 23. I say unlucky because that is a pretty young age for it to happen. I say it was lucky because I got my mid-life crisis over with at 25.

I tried Rogain with little results. Plus the fact, that you need to use it everyday, and it is not exactly cheap. I decided I did not want to spend that kind of money on something that might work. I also felt a little vain using it.

That is not to say that anyone who does something about baldness is vain. Just the way I felt. The people who make these infomercials know what a big deal baldness can be to a guy. They play up the "it makes you look old, women won't like you" angle so you can buy spray paint for your head. Don't buy into their bullshit.

If you want to do something about your hair loss see a doctor, or at least someone who has a certificate on their wall that wasn't at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

But, above all else, realize that it is just hair. It does not make you who you are, it does not dictate the kind of person, friend or family member you are. And anyone that decides to be your friend based on how much hair you have, probably isn't worth having.

tyler payne

19. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

Whatever happened to Duralube and Prolong and Motor-up and all of those motor oil additives? Do they still advertise them on infomercials?

20. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I started losing my hair when I turned 30. That's also when we started having kids so I blame them. [​IMG] Once I started pushing 38 it finally reached the point where the bald spot was noticeable. My solution was to buzz it down to a nice fuzz (I hate shaving enough as it is so there's no way I'm taking a razor to my head). I actually like it. I never cared much for my hair -- it was too fine to ever stay neat so I always looked like a skater punk. My doctor tried to sell me on pills but I really have no interest in trying to regrow my hair. That being said, I do feel bad for those men who aren't so comfortable with a chrome dome.