What's new

So what's the big deal about Criterion Collection? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
So what's the big deal about the Criterion Collection?

They never, ever, half-ass anything at all.

True, they have some of the artsiest fartsiest movies on the planet, but there are some gems out there (Brazil, The Third Man, The Seven Samurai, The Rock, Armageddon).

------------------

"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
So what's the big deal about the Criterion Collection?
They never, ever, half-ass anything at all.
Could have fooled me.
Non-anamorphic transfers seem kinda half-assed to me.
Even after Criterion decided to support anamorphic transfers, they still released some DVDs without it (ie. Mona Lisa, The Harder They Come, Withnail and I, How to Get Ahead in Advertising)
Not to mention the framing problem with Chasing Amy, and the many subtitle spelling errors with The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie. I know there are more issues.
It's funny how people seem to forget/ignore the problems with Criterion discs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's funny how people seem to forget/ignore the problems with Criterion discs.
They don't. Take your example of Chasing Amy. When that disc appeared, there were extensive threads criticizing them for the framing problem (which, as I recall, is limited to one scene). It turned out that this one wasn't their fault. Someone will correct me if I've misremembered, but I believe Buena Vista did the transfer and delivered it to Criterion, claiming (falsely as it turned out) that the filmmakers had supervised and approved the transfer. Turns out the filmmakers weren't involved.
As for titles without an anamorphic transfer, every time one is announced, there's at least one thread here slamming Criterion for the decision.
I don't think Criterion gets away with anything. There's just a lot less to fault them for. And when they do it right, there's no one better.
M.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
As for titles without an anamorphic transfer, every time one is announced, there's at least one thread here slamming Criterion for the decision.
And rightfully so.

The post I responded to stated "They never, ever, half-ass anything at all". I was just posting information that greatly contradicts that statement.

The most important aspect of a DVD is the quality of video and sound. When Criterion compromises that, then they've compromised the presentation of the film in my opinion.

If any studio/company should understand that, it's Criterion.

[Edited last by Marc Colella on August 18, 2001 at 07:39 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The reason that the recent titles from Anchor Bay haven't recieved new anamorphic transfers is simply because Anchor Bay wouldn't let them do a new one, so they had to use their old laserdisc transfers.

Put it like this: the only non-anamorphic titles they have put out (to my knowledge) in the last six months have all been licensed from Anchor Bay. This is a bit too much of a coincidence for me, and they have stated:

"The Criterion Collection uses anamorphic transfers for our DVDs whenever possible. Occasionally, despite our best efforts, we are unable to gain access to materials to make a 16:9 version. WITHNAIL AND I is, unfortunately, one of those situations. We regret any inconvenience this may cause"
Now, the non-anamorphic titles were all from the late 80s. It's not as if the elements are damaged beyond repair or have been destroyed. So, the only conclusion I can come to is that Anchor Bay wouldn't let them make new transfers (for whatever reason).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
One of these days I'll be in the high-def crowd with a widescreen setup, then I'll probably say that CC half-asses their stuff
laugh.gif

If CC can be accused of anything, they're pretty slow with the times. Like anything else, CC is just coming to the realization that there are higher demands in the DVD market by home theater enthusiasts (DTS sound, anamorphic transfer, etc.) The only reason CC is scrutinized more than any other DVD-producing studio is because of their brand name. I'm sure if you nitpicked any other studio, they have thousands upon thousands of titles that aren't anamorphic ready. As for the anamorphic treatment, their newer titles like Spartacus have anamorphic widescren, and the upcoming Hitchcock movies are getting the anamorphic treatment as well.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Dome - to be honest anamorphic enhancement doesn't apply to about a third or more of their titles (including the upcoming Hitchcocks!) as they are all the standard Academy 1.37:1 ratio.
The instances where DTS would be applicable are so few and far between, it's not even worth thinking about. I can only think of three titles actually re-mixed from the original cinema presentation - Picnic at Hanging Rock, Gimme Shelter (which was also in DTS, btw) and The Last Temptation of Christ, all of which were Director-Approved. The rest are left as they are, occasionally at the insistence of the film-makers (which is the reason for the 2.0 surround track on SOTL).
The only place where Criterion, IMO, tripped up was not doing anamorphic transfers from the word go, but since it is rumoured that they will be going back to re-do some of these titles where they can re-license the elements to do it (you can ask them at the chat next month anyway) I think it's going to plain sailing for Criterion from now on!
Edited for spelling
rolleyes.gif

[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 19, 2001 at 04:54 PM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The post I responded to stated "They never, ever, half-ass anything at all". I was just posting information that greatly contradicts that statement.
True, Marc, but you also said that "people" (no qualification) "forget/ignore" problems with Criterion's releases. I was posting information that greatly contradicts that statement.
M.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Films and movies transplanted to dvd :)
Criterion are the kings because of the lack of association to the almighty $ amongst their fans. They like film as it should be, so do I ;)
They give you great releases of films that other companies wouldn't go near.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Criterion releases movies that can expand a general interest in films.

First are films that may not be typical.

Second are supplements that can help you appreciate the film.

When laser discs first came out and in the early days of DVD

Criterion set the bar for supplements.

Now many studios have learned and can rival in that area.

Criterion can be best summed up in the word "options".

They give you the option to find a gem (The Third Man)

or learn something new (supplements on Spartacus or Brazil)

or expand your view point (Beastie Boys).

They can trip up at times, (transfers, audio problems, etc).

I think the biggest issue will be price.

Will the market support $30 movie only and $40 for extras?

Most of my Criterion collection (70+ discs)was build up in the days

of 40% off pre-release AND $10 coupons on $40 orders

(the good old days of reel.com). I could not afford my

collection now. I got Brazil for $21.94!

I still have to take a pass on the WC Fields

discs, they all should have been put on one disc.

With the current prices and the lack of discounts, I am

less likey going to take a chance. I hope they can continue

to make "options" and survive in the market as it grows

into the joe six pack VHS size market.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's DVDs are still reasonably priced when compared to their laserdiscs- I bought "Short Cuts" ON SALE for about $110! I don't think they had anything out that was priced under $49.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'll admit that I'm a Criterion Fan boy. Lest anyone think that I don't like criterion. But anyway:

I find myself not a big 'supplement' kinda guy. I buy SUPERBIT DVD's because when given the choice, I listen to the directors commentary rarely. 19 times out of 20 I'll take the "improved" DTS track, thankyouverymuch. And I've never made it through a whole "storyboard comparison".

Now that those pesky extra's are spoken for, This is why I like the Criterion Collection:

*OAR. Yes, the mighty OAR! As far as I know you'll never see two seperate releases of CC movies. One for widescreen, one for pan & scan. They also use original sound on their DVD (at least the ones I own) releases. Sometimes they add 'remixes' in as well. Its not very purist to admit, but I like the symphonic 5.1 track from Haxan.

*Extended Cuts. At the hands of politicians, studio executives, and whomever, movies can get cut for time or content. Sometimes by alot. While I cannot say that every single frame of film was used, More of the film is seen than was before. This is especially the case with many of their films originally made behind the iron curtain.

*Variety and selection. Because they aren't a subsidery of one Hollywood studio, they can (basically) pick and choose which movies they release. Because of CC I own movies by Akira Kurosawa, Seijun Suzuki, Ingmar Bergmann, Philip Kaufman, and many other's whom I would never had even Heard-of if not for the CC. (Living in a town with just Mom & Pop video stores can do that).

I can only love and appreciate movies the way I do because of the variety of films I've seen from CC. Without CC, I'd still be watching films on VHS (cause filling more screen would be better). And if I ever land my dream-job of directing a movie, be assured I'll take my theatrical inspiration from such greats as Kurosawa, Hitchcock, and Eisenstein. And not from the likes of Paul Anderson.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I defy you to find me one review of a (relatively) bare-bones, or in many cases a special edition, Criterion release that doesn't say "from Criterion, I expected a little more in the extras department".
You haven't read any of my Criterion reviews then (there are a lot of them). It is not the number, it is quality and the relevance of the extras that Criterion excels at.

I will take a five minute piece that actually enhances my experience of the film over fifty hours of mind numbing junk that looks good on a features list.

To me Criterion offers a chance to discover new films that I would otherise miss, served in a way that enables me to appreciate their value, and educate me at the same time.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
My thoughts exactly, Jeff!
If anyone is interested, I'm currently running a Best Criterion DVD Tournament over in Polls. The nomination and seconding process is still going on. Please drop in and participate - I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the individual discs as the tourney progresses.
Edit: Here's the link to the tournament.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hugely overpriced special editions IMO. I mean Brazil is $100 at my local HMV here in Edmonton!

If you're lucky to find them cheaply, they're awesome. (Chasing Amy for example.) But honestly, the price is obscene on most of them and has no justification. How much they cost on Laserdisc is irrelevant. It's just price gouging on DVD.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Although I am a lover of foreign films and arthouse films, I've never cared much for the selections of the Criterion Collection. Their big price tag usually doesn't help either. But, next week I will be the owner of my first Criterion! It will be Criterion #259 - Fat Girl. I also have "Short Cuts" on the way in November.

Gary Banks

Auditioning
I only have two from the CC: FIEND WITHOUT A FACE and EYES WITHOUT A FACE. And I'm pleased with both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks