So what's next in the 'Sword and Sorcery' genre?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TheoGB, Dec 26, 2001.

1. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It crossed my mind that the 'fantasy' genre is very underserved in the movies. We've had Willow and Dragonslayer and the Conan movies...but until now with LOTR there's been nothing really really excellent that I can think of.
    I guess a lot of it is down to the sfx required and also I guess the audience.
    But if LOTR is as successful as it looks like it will be I presume we're going to see a great many authors having their books raided. So what do people expect to see soon and what would you like to see?
    I guess this could be a poll but I was looking for more discussion if possible...
    Cheers
    Theo
    (Oh and happy Christmas to all celebrants out there. [​IMG])

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I really hope that the success of Potter and Rings opens the doors to more fantasy/sword & sorcery type films. Perhaps some other great books will be optioned to film.
    In the short term, though, I really hope that this fantasy push will finally get Dragonslayer onto DVD.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, I think the most popular series of modern adult fantasy novels is The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. However, this would be almost impossible to make a movie out of, since there are 9 novels out now, and I believe 4 more to come. There are scores of sub-plots and concurrent things happening. The only way they could do it would be seriously chop up everything and make a "smaller" version of the story.

I personally think Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series would translate well to film, as the novels can more easily be taken as seperate stories, and the structure is easier to follow and more logical. However, these books don't have the popularity to merit making movies out of them. It's a shame, too, because they're the best modern fantasy novels I've read.

Of course, they could always do CS Lewis, but I haven't read any of that stuff, so I don't know how it would work.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I read a couple of weeks ago that plans to film (at least some of) C.S. Lewis' books were firmly in place.

I've always seen these as kids books though.

5. Timothy Childers

You know what could be done Mike??? Robert Jordan's WOT books could be realized in a Made for Cable mini series. Ala HBO's Band of Brothers. You figure 10 episodes a season for each book would equal a 10 hour movie.... for 9+ episodes. Not very likely I know... but it could be done. [​IMG]
    Well... At least we have The Two Towers and Return of the King to look forward to. [​IMG]

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Off the top of my head I'd say they'll knock on David Eddings' door, which would make for some fairly average movies. While I've enjoyed his books they couldn't be described as particularly the best of their genre, but I'd imagine the Sparhawk series might make a reasonable movie.

Maybe it's that such novels are rarely 'stand alone' that has caused the problems. Trilogies and Quintilogies (?) abound!

Also the Dragonlance or Farseer Trilogies might be interesting...

I don't think C.S. Lewis counts any more than Harry Potter. Both have realworld crossovers involved and this is essentially why the studios want them. They are afraid of things that lack 'contemporary' aspects to them. Even Sci-Fi is rarely, like Star Wars (which I realise isn't in a sense true sci-fi), about totally remote people.

7. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Count me in as someone who would love to see a well-handled mini-series based on Jordan's "Wheel of Time". Also, Feist's Riftwar saga would make for a decent couple or three movies. Aside from the C.S. Lewis rumor though I have not heard of any other novels being turned into movies (Niven's Ringworld really wouldn't count, right?). That doesn't mean there isn't anything comeing though. "Reign of Fire" starring Matthew McConaughey and Christian bale is in production (post?) right now. I believe it's the story of a world where dragons awaken and are destroying the world, leaving only small groups of humans to stand against them. It has received some positive early buzz.

8. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Time Machine opens 2002. It is a mixture of Fantasy and Science Fiction and stars Guy Pearce and Jeremy Irons. I read a script review on filmforce some time ago which was pretty positive. It is based on the H.G. Wells novel.

9. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Mercedes' Lackey's various 3-book series (Magic, Arrows, Winds, Storm, Owl) would do pretty well, I would think. They could try with the Oath series (2 books) for starters; that is almost written for a movie, the way the short stories run together.
    David (& Leigh) Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon would do pretty well, too, though they could start with either Belgarath or Polgara.
    Raymod Feist's Riftwar saga would work quite well.
    Asprin's Myth series would make for a more humorous entry.
    The Shannara series would do ok.
    Just a few ideas [​IMG]
    Mike

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I always thought it was a shame that Conan The Destroyer killed the Conan franchise [​IMG]
    There was a few reviews of Milius new Conan script at Dark Horizons or Aint It Cool News awhile ago and it had gotten a few rave reviews. HOPEFULLY........

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Trying to figure out the name of this plot twisting Danish fantasy book that's aimed at kids.

Does anyone remember the name of this Danish book, where a kid dies and goes into a fantasy world, and then dies again and goes into another fantasy world. I read it in 5th/6th great, it would do nicely onscreen especially since plot twists are so popular these days.

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

There is a Forgotten Realms(D&D) TV Series in development IIRC. It might be cool to see the Icewind Dale Trilogy done as movies. Elric would be neat too.

15. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I've heard a lot of people rave about George R. R. Martin's "A Song Of Ice And Fire" series. Well, I'm reading the first book right now, and while it's quite good, it doesn't even touch The Wheel Of Time. No amount of R-rated language and sex can match the rich storytelling of Robert Jordan's epic series. While I appreciate the twisting plot and unique characters of Martin's series so far, it just hasn't grabbed me in the way the WOT did. Perhaps as I read more books it will.

Anyways, I'd most like to see the WOT adapted next, though it would be nearly impossible considering the length of the books. I've toyed with it being used as a TV series, with one season per book, or perhaps as an HBO series a la Band Of Brothers. I really don't think it would work as a series of feature-length films, though.

I know the Narnia books are going to get made, which I think is great as long as they don't slaughter the books, and I'd also like to see The Sword Of Shannara made (not the sequels, just the original.....I love the succeeding books, but their plots just seem to be recycled over and over from the previous books).

On a side note, I'd LOVE a film version of Rainbow Six! What an great movie that would make.....how many movies have there been made about counter-terrorism? This subject's very interesting to me, and the book is great.

-Tom

16. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I've never read the Sword of the Shanara as I've been reliably informed it is a Tolkien rip off for the majority of its length - not just conceptually but pretty much in the way the plot unfolds. However, people have always said the succeeding books are much better![​IMG]

17. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

If I were to pick the next fantasy series to make its way to film it would be Stephen R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Realistically, I'm not sure how well it would work because...
    1) I'm not sure that the general public would accept an anti-hero in a fantasy epic. I'm afraid that the studio would want to make Covenant more 'likeable'. I can't imagine that Covenant's crime ( when he first enters The Land ) would go unchanged in a major studio release. Unfortunately, changing Covenant's character would undermine the entire story as his self-loathing and disease are tied to the peril faced by The Land.
    2) Much of the greatness of the series comes from Donaldson's creation of The Land. It has always been one of my favorite fantasy creations. But I'm unsure how well it would translate to the screen.
    - Walter.

18. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

The Convenant books are awesome but, I agree, I think the nature of the series would hamper any unmolested Hollywood adaptations to film.

LotR is so strong that it may overshadow any "traditional" fantasy films that come after it.

19. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

20. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Maybe they should make those old "Choose your own adventure" fantasy books into interactive movies where the audience gets to decide what happends next. [​IMG]