So whatcha think of this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Bergeron, Jul 2, 2002.

1. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Ok well I picked up 4 Paradigm studio 40's and a CC centre, I really wanted 5 studio 40's (I have the option to change it) but I don't really have the room.

1. What do you think of the CC, does it match the 40 that well?

2. I have a set of Paradigm Atoms I was thinking of using for the 7.1 configuration. Will these sound completely different from the 40's? I don't really think it's worth TONS of cash for that extra set of rear speakers. It will help out the "Extra" seating in my room mostly. They are cherry laminate, not black like the others, maybe I should cover them in black felt or something??

Recommendations, comments?

Thanks.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you can put a 40 for the center go for it (just don't put it on it's side). The CC will match timbre wise just fine. But the 40 won't have the lobing problems that all 2way horizontal MTM centers have.

Have you considered doing a 6.1 instead of 7.1. Then three pairs of 40s covers you.

3. James Bergeron

Dustin: Lobing problem??? Can you explain this?

6.1 yes I considered it but since I have the atoms already and the 6th studio 40 would be at least another $500 (I do not have) I'm hoping the atoms will be sufficient for ambient rear effects.

I 28 inches from the floor to the bottom of my screen, if you add the 2" of black surround on the screen that gives me a grand total of 30" The Studio 40 is 21.5" tall so I would need a 8.5" tall stand! eek! Then of course I think the sound will be blocked for the second row of seating. I think I'm better off with the centre (hopefully as I haven't tried it yet).

I will be mounting the centre on top of the screen allowing the sound to pass to the rear more easily.

Please explain the lobing problem.
    Thanks

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It only effects people off axis of the center. And with the 1500hz crossover of the CC, it is one of the best horizontal 2way MTM's in that reguard.

Take an MTM on it's side. When you are right infront of it you are the same distance from each of the Ms. Move to 30 degrees off axis. You are now closer to one of the Ms and farther from the other. If this difference in distance is greater than the wavelength of the frequencies being played, they will interfere with each other (reinforcing at some frequencies cancelling at others creating a lobing pattern). The lower you crossover and the closer together the M are, the less of a problem this is.

However, it's really hard to crossover a 2way as low as you can a 2.5way or 3way.

5. James Bergeron

Ah thanks for the explaination Dustin. Makes complete sense!

Although I'm lucky in this regard then, my room is only 11.5' wide, and narrower in some places there won't be much of an off-centre going on! :)

I am using 2 lazy-boys side by side and behind that theatre chairs so they are all centred!

Thanks

Cna't wait to get it all hooked up! I'm hoping it just blows me away!