So what was liked at Infocomm?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I have read some of the threads on AVS by those that attended Infocomm this year. For those of you that attended what did you like the best other than the QXGA $225,000 D-ILA projector?
    Parker

2. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Was it just me Parker, or was there nothing great released? It seems all the talk was about the QXGA...225k
    THe LT150z is really interesting...no zoom lense is the big knock on the current machine.
    No 11HT, no Yammie DPX-1, no Infocus HT, the Plus apparently sucked....the Sanyo got good reviews, but the dust blob problem seems really rampant, and a real pain in the neck. Screen door also a huge issue here.
    Oh well, hopefully I am going to see the LT150 and Seleco HT250 tomorrow (with a Vigatec...droolll)
    I have to admit, since nothing really floated anyone's boat that was in a reasonable price range, my decision has become much easier [​IMG]

3. Parker Clack

Parker
    Keith:
    Yep, from what I read it didn't appear that they were too impressed with anything at the show all that much. Those that attended appeared to be more disappointed than impressed. I guess this could be expected though since Infocomm isn't really for the HT market but for the professional trade anyway. It will be interesting to see what they all show at CEDIA.
    BTW, what decision was that?
    Parker

4. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Decision- LT150 with AVS HTPC and Panamorph. This seems to be a great upgradable solution. I still might go for a Seleco, but the price is scaring me off, considering it will be outdated in 6 months. I can sell the LT150 in a year or two, and not be out big bucks.
    Really sucks the Infocus HT is only 800x600 dual mode chip....HDTV doesn't seem like it will be that great on it.
    I agree that CEDIA should be better---trying to decide if I should just hold out till then...I am trying to attend btw. However, if you keep on holding out, then you are never watching movies which is the whole point, no? Not to mention, the stuff shown at CEDIA will not be out til 2002.
    Keith

5. Parker Clack

Parker
    Keith:
    I am just going to wait and see if they finally figure out a way to give those of us that love front projection a unit with a very nice picture without having to invest in all sort of other equipment to make it look better and be a resonable cost. With the inclusion of such stuff as sRGB and the possibility of removing the color wheel on a single chip DMD in the not too distant future I can wait.
    Parker

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Well, we had a busy booth - our new Wall Display product was a hit! But, we're in the professional A/V display business.
    The new Home Theater targeted projector that I saw at Infocomm was the Plus model HE-3100. I attended a demo in a darkened room and was impressed by the 16:9 image. Here are some details from my product sheet: The machine is nicknamed the "Piano" (?). It is a single-chip DLP engine with native 848 X 480 resolution 240 Hz scan rate projector that weighs 4.4 lbs. Noise level is 33 dB. Short focus lens for 36" diagonal image from 3.9 feet, up to 200" diagonal image at 22.4 feet distance. Inputs: DVI-D, composite, S-Video and component. 450 ANSI lumens, contrast is 600:1 (Full On Off).
    Availibility: they said October
    MSRP (retail price): the would not say
    http://www.plus-america.com/projecto...nfo/index.html
    ------------------
    "Do you expect me to talk?"
    "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"

7. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Parker,
    Just wanted to say I saw the Seleco HT250 with Vigatec scalar and it was awesome! The person who gave me the demo works for Lutron, so the light blocking curtains came down (which amazed me---it was bright and sunny as hell, and after they came down, it was almost pitchblack except for a 1/2 inch on one of the panels that is going to be fixed), the Grayhawk scrolled down, and we were in business. I didn't see any rainbows the entire time, verifying that i am not prone here. No pixelization whatsoever...the scalar probably helps here. There was light spill on the ceiling (4:3 chip) but it was definitely not objectionable---once he receives his Panamorph, that will be easier to control. The image will even be brighter which is hard to believe. The colors were extremely rich...we watched parts of Antz, Gladiator, Ben Hur, Austin Powers II. Reds were extraordinary, and the black level/contrast was quite good. He is still tweaking it to get it to ISF specs, when it should be even better. The only problem he had was horizontal tearing on the Seleco, which Seleco is sending a new software update in the next two weeks to address it. It wasn't very noticable however.
    The other nice thing, was that the projector sat upright on top of a shelf in the kitchen (giving a 1 ft. hole between the kitchen and living room). This keeps it out of site, and even when people stand up, there is no blocking the light. No mounting required, as the lens shifts 10 degrees from the approx. 7 ft. shelf.
    Anyways, I left really pondering whether I should step up to the plate on the Seleco....
    BTW, his audio system was pretty good too. B&W 604s, cc6, 601s driven by ADA Cinema Rhapsody and matching 5 ch. amp. Admittedly, he has a bunch of connections in the industry, so I doubt he paid anywhere near list on his setup.
    Very nice...hope to see the LT 150 this week...uggghh...decisions

8. Perry Sun

Perry Sun Extra

Hi Parker,
    Just to add my two cents and also add to what was already spoken for...the demo of the new PLUS HE-3100 Piano home theatre projector took place in a home theatre-like room. I think the Stewart Filmscreen used was a StudioTek 130 as the picture seemed somewhat on the dim side and probably would have benefited from a GreyHawk screen. Just guessing here though. The picture did look quite impressive with only disturbing pixelation noticed with static details (such as the DTS logo on the DTS demo DVD they were using). The HE-3100 isn't HD-compatible though, and the price point chosen will be critical to customer acceptance.
    There were also the intros of the first two-pound DLP projectors from PLUS and Acer. Both showed some DVD playback right on the show floor. It looked quite promising as well but brightness and possibly contrast were way off.
    Stewart had a noticeable demo, using a split screen with GreyHawk on one half and Studiotek 130 on the other. The purpose was to demonstrate the benefit of using the GreyHawk with fixed-pixed projectors, in this case a DLP-based model.
    And then there were lots of plasmas shown, from RCA, Pioneer, NEC, Samsung, Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc. Many if not most of these are geared for the pro AV market, but consumer versions using the same core technology will be introduced later, possibly as early as CEDIA. Pioneer had a 50-inch model with an exchangable expansion board where the component/RGB and other interfaces are situated. Unfortunately this potentially great feature won't be available with the consumer version. NEC showed a 61-inch plasma that they're introducing in July (I think) and Samsung exhibited what I think is the largest plasma unit at 63 inches. Samsung also showed their line of fLCD displays.
    Best regards,
    Perry
    ------------------
    Movie Sound Editor,
    Widescreen Reviewwww.widescreenreview.com