What's new

SO what type of spider is this? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok, so i get these spiders that keep appearing in my house.
mostly downstairs in the theater room.
they seem to appear in the same area from one of the walls.

i usually see them running across the floor.
it is about the size of a quarter if not bigger when the legs are opened all the way.
they dont act aggressive, i just put them in a cup and put them across the street.

you can see from the first picture that i have a penny in the cup.
the other pics are somewhat distorted from the reflection on the cup.

the pics are alittle big.

normal cup

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
These are home theater spiders. They come out and watch a DVD movie with you.

Whatever you do, don't play Spiderman 2 on your setup. ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They're hoping for a showing of "Eight-Legged Freaks". :D

I'd get a big can of Raid and spray that section of the room they appear from. :eek:

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Ugh, my lord, that's awful. I am deathly afraid/scared/ of spiders. One thing I LOVE about southern california is that we seem to be a rather tame region when it comes to spiders. Mostly just small, ordinary spiders. A few slightly 'thicker' ones once in a while, but nothing approaching big. And black widows of course, but those are always stationary.

The most disturbing ones I've seen are these pink montrosities that hang between my trees which are at least 10 feet apart! I really have no idea how they get from one to the next. They are repulsive but, they seem to stay outside on trees... so.. that's good.

The one in your picture looks like a nickle sized mini-tarantula, ugh.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I tried to find it at terminix.com but didn't get anywhere.

If you know where they are getting in then just seal it up!

Molding, putty or caulk. I have used caulk for ants and although it may be time consuming, eventually they can't get in, and go somewhere else. Good luck!

Glenn

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Thats a mean looking spider. My wife would living at my in laws if we had spiders like that in the house.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I really like pics #4 and #5 where the little guy appears to be staring at his larger distorted reflection. No idea what kind it is though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Now, if you've got spiders living in the house, doesn't that mean you've got other critters living there on which they feed? And if you remove the spiders, the other critters will have a better chance at survival?

Give me known spiders over unknown other critters.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this does look like a wolf spider a little.
we arent bothered by spiders, they do catch other bugs that arent wanted so much.

when we see one of these or other bugs we just put them in a cup and put them outside.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I like spiders and they pretty much have free run of the house unless they get too obnoxious (crawling on food, dropping on your head, etc.). A few nights ago I was watching TV and one of those big furry centipede things started across the floor. A wolf spider shot out from behind a bookcase and nailed him.:emoji_thumbsup:

As for identifying the little buggers, I've never found a resource online or in print that did even a halfway decent job of classifying spiders. It's odd because there are plenty of insect books around but no good ones on arachnids.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Looks like a wolf spider to me as well, however most wolf spiders have a bit of fur to them, that one doesn't seem to have any hair at all.
Whatever it is I get the exact same type all the time in my basement and they are pretty harmless & seem to keep to themselves mostly.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Well, if you say so....but I saw my first "wild" tarantula in a park near Oceanside.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Aaaah! If I saw that crawling around I would probably crap my pants :)

I'm not horribly afraid of spiders, but that little guy looks like a monster. I've only lived in north-central Indiana and Illinois, and mostly see Wolf Spiders every now and again. Usually around this time of year when they start wanting to come in from the cold outside.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As a keeper of tarantulas, the only ts I know are all west of the mississippi (unless somebody let one lose and it survived). The tarantula, although long lives (compared to true spiders) don't survive cold that well so most of the Ts in America are in the SW, texas, NM, Arizona, so cal, etc.

Wolf spiders do exist in the east but I'm not an expert on spiders, I just know some stuff about tarantulas...

Jay

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Well I'm certainly no expert on spiders. Are there 'tarantulas' that exist here in Socal naturally? I would not be the least bit surprised if there were- I've never bothered checking for obvious reasons.

I'm just reporting what I've experienced here in 10+ years: never seen anything bigger than a quarter and damn happy about it :emoji_thumbsup:

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
http://www2.tltc.ttu.edu/thomas/clas...tula/facts.htm

You can check the North/central american list for the Tarantulas found in the southwest. Most of them (if not all) are in the Aphonopelma genus. Most of the Brachypelmas exist in the scrublands of Mexico and a lot of them are CITES II species. But in texas and other areas, the Ts have managed to survive. Rivers are hard to cross naturally so the Mississippi has always been a natural barrier. Doesn't mean one or two can make it across given today's global economy but en mass, all of them are in the SW...

Jay

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Note to self: Decline any invitations to Michael's Big House O' Bugs. :eek:

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks