What's new

So - what makes now have the squeeze feature ? (1 Viewer)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Hello,
So, what makes of 4:3 TV sets have the "vertical squeeze" feature (aka "16x9 enhancement")?
Does anyone besides Sony have this?
I'm referring to an easily accessed manual button (or automatic) - I realize that most sets with service menus can be adjusted, but I would go back and forth so many times, that I need an easy and simple way to do this, as in the Sony feature.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
My Loewe Calida 32" does this automatically. Unfortunately you have to use S-Video for the auto recognition to work - it doesn't work with the component inputs.
These TV's are a little more expensive then the Wegas (!) but when I bought it (and maybe still) the line-doubler was clearly superior to the XBR400.
These are really SDTV's, not HDTV's. Work checking out. German manufacturer.
Good luck.

John Cavacas

Agent
What makes this feature such a much have? Is it really worth it? I ask because I'm about to buy a new TV. I've nailed it down to the Hitachi 61SDX01B, and it seems that this set does not do the "squeeze". Is it really THAT much better to have a TV that can do the squeeze? Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome, John. It matters if you care to see anamorphic widescreen DVDs at full resolution. Settle for nothing less at this price range.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I will second Jack's comments. If you are going to be spending this kind of money, I would purchase a set that will display the full anamorphic resolution. I bought a Sony 53HS10 about 2 months ago. The difference between a down-converted image and anamorphic is amazing! I am a very satisfied HS10 owner!
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

John Cavacas

Agent
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess there must be a reason why everyone is always talking about how great that feature is. Which sets should I then be looking at in the same size (53-61), price and feature range as the Hitachi? I will be watching a lot of 4:3 material, I would say 70% 4:3 30% DVD. Thanks.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
You should certainly be comparing the Sony 53HS10 and 61HS10 to the other sets you are considering...

JonDeutsch

Grip
Ken,
I have the Philips 60PP9601 HDTV (available at Sears). It is a 60" 4:3 squeeze-select set, and from a side-by-side comparison, it far superior for DVDs to the Sony HS series.
However, the Sony HS's fair better for normal TV.
Both the Sony and Philips have 16:9 anamorphic modes, which will squeeze the set's rasters to accomodate anamorphic DVDs as well as HDTV.
The Philips holds blacks like the best RPTVs on the market, and has one of the highest resolutions on the market as well. Definitely worth taking a look. Especially since Sears matches Internet prices (~$2850).
NOTE: I wasn't happy with how the Philips handled regular TV through my ReplayTV. So, I bought an iScan Pro line doubler, and now TV looks great.
------------------
Jon
Link Removed
Link Removed
Coming Soon:
http://toptentech.com
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks