1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

So what is missing from the HTF FAQ and PRIMER??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Oct 10, 2002.

1. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

I may have missed this in the primer (despite the fact that ive read it atleast twice :b )...

In regards to Superbits there was some discussion about the Panic Room DVD (i think) about there being space left on the dvd... and no extras such as a commentary.

Now the argument was that the bitrate should be reserved for the picture quality and sound... now what I didnt understand is that if there is room left over on the disk how does adding a commentary affect the bitrate when you are watching the movie?

As I understand it having a commentary track on the DVD shouldnt actually affect the bitrate when you are watching and listening to a DVD. If you arent listening to the commentary there should be no bandwidth allocated to it, so how would the bitrate suffer?

Ok now Im not sure if I should have posted this as a separate question :b

2. GeorgeRF

GeorgeRF Auditioning

How about out-of-the-box setup suggestions for those who don't have calibration disks? The "Home Theater Means Accuracy & Calibration" section could advise people to reduce brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. from the default settings on their TV. Also, the "warm" color setting seems appropriate for most TVs. These tips could help give people a better picture while they're waiting for their copy of Avia or Video Essentials to arrive.

Thanks,
    George F.

3. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

4. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

1. Program sources other than DVD: cable, satellite, OTA.

2. Links to other HT web sites.

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Vince,
    What happened to the possible FAQ update?

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Greg,

We have 3 posts running in the mod area, being finalized before posting. We will then figure out what topics are left, and see if mods want them, and if not, I'll probably contact some members to take a crack at them.

-V

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I don't know if this is possible but one of our members has direct comparisons of regular to superbit DVD's. I, for one, would like to see if this is possible in the FAQ.

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Are you still taking suggesstions ? How about :

1) What is a BFD used for ?

2) Should I consider a DIY speaker project ?

I volunteer to submit a draft of these if desired.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i for one would like to see more info on pvr's, etc. greg...are you listening? [​IMG]

10. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

One thing that would have been helpful for me is a post on the diffrent type of speaker wire connections (i.e. Banana plugs, spade clips, pin-type and so forth) maybe with pictures on what they all look like, as well as the advantages/disadvantages (or lack thereof) of using those type of connectors vs. bare wire. I read through most of the Primer and can't recall seeing anything like this.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Brian,
    If you wanna write them, I'd be happy to add it! You can email drafts to me if you like- then once we get a final version hammered down I'll give you some instructions on how to post it here so i can add it to the thread.
    [email protected]
    -vince

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Neil,
    Maybe approach this person and have them contact me. I wanted to add a basic intro to superbit discs... so an advanced piece on comparisons would be great.
    Send the author my way and I'll work it out.
    [email protected]
    -Vince

13. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I'll add something that may want to be included... as I hadn't seen it in there, and just spent a good amount of time digging up threads to combine for all the answers.
    Perhaps a description of DVD "Regions". To explain, I had found a movie I'd like is only available in Region 2, had no clue what this meant beyond it being a different country code. So I needed to find out if it was possible to actually play this DVD, or if not, the various options to give me this ability.
    I think I was clear about that, if not sorry, been one of those days [​IMG]

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Dave,

That's a really good idea. I'll add it to my pending list and see if anyone volunteers to handle it. If not, I'm sure I could whoop something up myself (unless maybe you'd like to handle it?)

-vince

15. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Vince,
    Bjoern Roy is the member who did the Superbit comparisons and this is his website (it also has the Guide to Edge Enhancement).
    Greg

16. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure I can dig those discussions and info I've found on the topic back up and put something together. Of course I'd need a guru such as yourself to review it as I'm still a HT n00b [​IMG]