So what else is a coffee maker good for?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by BrianW, Jan 11, 2005.

1. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I'm not a coffee drinker, but my wife is, so we have a coffee maker - the brew-through-filter-into-a-pot variety. I was wondering if there's anything the coffee maker can do for me, a non-coffee drinker. is there anything else I can make with it that I would like? I can't modify it, at least not to the extent that it can't make coffee any more, so I guess soft-serve ice cream and juiced carrots are not realistic expectations. I have a hot-water dispenser at the sink, so hot tea and (instant) hot chocolate are easier from the tap than they would be using a machine.

And there's no need to restrict myself to having it dispense products for human consumption. With a few modifications, I could use it as a bug zapper when it's not making coffee, but then I'd be the one stuck cleaning the pot out every day. Or I could turn it into an under-desk foot warmer for my unusually cold office.

On second thought, maybe it's best to stick to food and beverages.

Any ideas?

2. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

I use my coffee machine to brew iced tea. I use one of those gallon-sized Lipton tea bags, and then mix the finished concentrate in a big jug with water and sugar, and I have "real-brewed" iced tea.

This thread could be truly interesting if people do have multiple uses for their coffee machines aside from coffee. We could write a "HTF Coffee Maker Cookbook."

MC

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We purchased a machine from the makers of Mr. Coffee specifically made for brewing ice tea. It works very well.

You could try making hot cocoa like my idiot former brother-in-law. He used milk instead of water. The milk burned (duh), ruining the coffee maker.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I used to use my for brewed iced tea but we did the same thing as Scott and got a "Iced Tea Machine" from the same makers.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Why do you want it to do anything else Brian? If it makes good coffee, is that not enough? Anything other use that you might find, would probably be so outside its normal function that you would be dissatisfied in any case.

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It's "good" for playing those fun games of "Why has my coffee suddenly acquired that peculiar aftertaste?

Serious coffee drinkers enjoy consistency and ceremony-- the caffeine induces a sort of operant conditioning

7. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Ok, I don't want to get too elitist here, but for tea water should be brought to boiling. I don't think a tap dispenser is going to get that hot. The coffee maker shouldn't either, but I think it would get closer.

So if you're going to make tea, you'll get better tea from the coffee machine than the tap, I believe.

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Not for iced tea. As my southern belle ex-girlfriend said "[southern drawl] Iced tea should simmer, never boil. Boiling makes the tea cloudy.[southern drawl]". Course she also added 2 cups of sugar to a half gallon of tea, so what did she know?

9. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Just for a bit of trivia, I believe most decent coffee makers heat water to the mid 190s fahrenheit.

10. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Exactly my understanding. Water for coffee should be below boiling for optimum brewing.

The boiling recommendation for tea, Jeff, is how the Brits recommend doing it. I usually drink imported British tea (hot) so that's why I recommended it. Don't drink much iced tea though, so I'll defer to the young lady from the South [​IMG]

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Southerners don't' know nuthin' bout hot tea or cold coffee, Elinor. [​IMG] I know the Brits use boiled water to steep hot tea, but cold tea is different and if anyone knows cold "sweet tea", it's a southerner.

12. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

Then I guess you don't appreciate the joy that is "sweet tea"?

-Mike

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I loved it back then (about 14 years ago), but I just went back down south to Atlanta and I said to myself "Did I really drink this stuff? I can feel my teeth rotting!". You actually feel a film of sugar on your teeth after drinking "sweet tea", don't know how I ever drank it.

14. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I use the Lipton Cold Brew tea bags for iced tea. Those things are amazing. Occasionally use the coffee maker for hot tea, not often though.

15. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I thought this thread would die faster than... well, faster than something that dies really fast.

Although I considered hot tea, I never considered making a pot of iced tea. That's a great idea.

And if I wasn't clear earlier, my hot water tap is a dedicated hot water tap with a heated reservoir, and it dispenses water at 192 degrees. Is that hot enough for iced tea?

As for why I want to do this, I just thought it would be fun, if not resourceful. Besides, who says that non-coffee drinkers are less inclined to want some kind of ritual? Coffee drinkers even get more breaks at work: Need I say more? If I can get something -- anything -- to come out of a coffee maker that I can ingest, that's another twenty minutes I can screw around at work!

Isn't that what life is all about?

16. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Other uses for a coffee maker:

When you are on vacation and don't want to spend loads of money eating out, purchase some of those cup o noodles ( ramen) and boil water in the coffee maker.

You can warm canned soup in the pot.

If you really want to get adventurous, you can even make pancakes on the burner.