What's new

So, what do you think of the Xbox controller so far? (1 Viewer)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Okay, we've had our Xboxen for a few days now...what does everyone think of the much-maligned controller so far?

Personally, I played for 7 or 8 hours straight when I first got the box, and I didn't have blister one on my fingers. I find it to be very well laid out, and the triggers and the rumble are excellent! 9ft breakaway cords are much appreciated, too. I was really worried with all the negative things I'd been reading about the size and layout of the controller, but so far I have to say I am quite pleased with it. I never thought I would find a controller better than the Playstation dual-shock, but even that one would leave my digits tired and blistered after a prolonged Tony Hawk grind session. So far I haven't felt that with the Xbox one (although I haven't picked up THPS2x yet).

One quibble, though--I agree with the people who said the black and white buttons are too close to the face buttons. The white button throws the ball away in NFL Fever, and I can't tell you how many times my friends and I ditched the ball out of bounds instead of hitting the streaking "Y" receiver. Frustrating!

I've heard tremendous things about the Japanese controller, too, and that one doesn't have the black and white buttons near the four face buttons...I may have to check it out come February just to see how it is.

What does everyone else think? Is it the hulking, ill-designed monstrosity that you feared? Or were you pleasantly surprised, as I was?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
i enjoyed the DC controller, I personally feel this is just a better built DC controller. I like it! The D-Pad rocks for me, I can't wait until we get some 2D fighters on this thing. BTW I have used the Japanese pad and yes its much better than the American Xbox pad and I will import one on day 1.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Don't own an XB, but after using the controller for a while in stores and such, my only gripe is the buttons being too close and the D-pad being slick and cheap feeling. Other than that, its actually kinda nice.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I like the controller a lot. However, I have a hard time reaching the other buttons besides A and B. Ack...makes it impossible for me to hit the reverse button in PGR in less than 5 seconds. :frowning:

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well after some extensive use of my own, I find the Xboxs one of the best controllers that I've used. It feels like it was made for me. My only gripe with it is the triggers have beefy springs that makes my fingers tired after holding them down for an extended time like in PGR.

Dean

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I put it above the PS2 controller and behind the Gamecube controller. That Gamecube pad is in a league of its own.

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
I love the controller. One thing that works in my favor is that I have large hands (being 6'5") and it fits more comfortably in my hands than any other controller. I agree, though, with issues concerning the placement of the black and white buttons.

I did have the InterAct controller for a couple of days and really disliked it. After struggling with the lack of responsiveness in the buttons, I eventually returned it for the official XBOX one.

----

Joel

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
My only beef with the controller is the buttons being those rounded hard plastic things. For a button-masher like DOA3, it starts to hurt after awhile... :)
Otherwise, I like it alot. Agree with above, though, the GCN controller is aces all the way around...

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
For those of you who said they were planning on importing a Japanese controller when it comes out...do you mind if I ask how you are going to do that? Is there a website that specializes in imports? What can I expect as far as shipping times and import fees?

Reason I ask is that I have a friend-of-a-friend who is actually in Japan right now (and will be until next summer), and I may ask him to just pick one up and throw it in a box and mail it to me, if the importer's here charge a ridiculous amount or something.

Also, any anticipated problems with the power supply difference between the two boxes? Can I use the Japanese controller in an American Xbox without worrying about voltage differences?

Thanks,

D

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered the European version of Shenmue 2 for my Dreamcast from http://www.ncsx.com/ for $49. I'm sure when the Japanese controller is out, they will have it. They seem to have pretty good prices on imports. Also the controller should work but you never know. Sega made their lightgun from Japan incompatible with US software but other imported contrlooers worked fine.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I really like the controller, but have had 2 of them break in the last week.

The one that came with the XBOX was defective, the force feedback motor made an electrical whining noise...like the motor was under alot of stress. So I returend it for another one, and it seems to have a similar problem.

The replacement controller is better, but when there is a very slight amount of force feedback, it doesnt vibrate, it just makes that electrical buzzing noise....is this normal??

My other controller is flawless....FF works fine and no strange buzzing/whining noises.

JP

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Jeff mine just started doing the same thing, I'm going to take it back for a new one when the place has some back in stock. Its like the motor isn't getting enough juice to flip the weight over, once the FF goes to a higher level it stops making the noise and works. I don't think this is a normal thing.

Morgan the Xbox controller has two analog triggers like the GCN controller. The face buttons are digital or on/off.

Dean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I knew about the triggers, but I wasn't sure about the face buttons.

The PS2 games barely use the analog face buttons. Metal Gear Solid 2 uses them a lot, but only a few other games do, too.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Dean and Jeff,

Yep, my controllers are doing that as well. The one that came with the system makes loud whirring noices. The second one does this as well, although not as loud. I will try to return them and see.

UPDATE: Well I called the Xbox support numbers and they tell me this is normal? Anyone else having this problem with the feedback and the official controllers.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I'm on pretty friendly terms with the owners of a videogame store where I buy most of my stuff from. When I went in to pick up my Gamecube, we were talking about the Xbox controller and how I am planning on importing a Japanese one once it's out in Japan.

Now, he told me that that after December the Japanese controller will be the standard controller for North America. Looks like we wont need to import one. Granted, I don't actually know whether or not this is true, but I know the owner wouldn't be telling me a flat out lie. So he must have gotten the info on good authority.

Anyways though, as for what I think about the Xbox controller. Very nice! I have rather small hands, but I don't find using the controller to be a problem. It's very comfortable on extended use (stayed up all night playing Halo co-op...neither me or my friend had "hand fatigue") My only real gripe with the controller is how far up the black and white buttons are, and the location(or orientation) or the 4 face buttons. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I find myself loosing track of where the buttons are. While I think my finger is on 'X', once I press it I realize it's on 'Y'.

Well, this would be my rating for all the next-gen game systems. (first listed is the best overall)

Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, PS2(the PS2 controller for all intents and purpose's is excellent-better then the Dreamcast, but I get major hand cramps when using it for more then 1-1.5 hours at a time, and this knocks down it's rating majorly)

Andrew

**EDIT**

I forgot to mention, that I have had no problems with my Xbox controller(s) rumble features. I have two controllers and each of them is functioning fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks