So what do we do about Walmart?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Regarding their decision to seel only DVD's that have pan & scan. I have been an early adopter of DVD since June 1997 and I am getting tired of all of the dumb threats to the DVD format. This is a silly practice and slap in the face to all of us who have propelled DVD to where it is now.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    Neil's H.T. Site
    (plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, now I am officially ranting... [​IMG]
    Go back in there and see what manufacturer's of TV's they have, then go back home and email them companies, begging them to toss out the 4:3's and sell the widescreens - IN ALL SIZES.
    They are out in other countries, and it may take a year or two, but look who the fool will be then?
    Guy shouting - "Hey, all of the people on my movies look fat!"
    Glenn

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I suppose this is meant to be a purely commercial decision from their end. Apparently, they think they will sell more. So correct them with your wallet: go shop elsewhere.
    --------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

Cees, I think that if the few HTFers who buy DVDs in WalMart stopped it wouldn't make much difference to them. WalMart is J6Ps favorite store and WalMart is so powerful that this decision could influence how DVDs are produced in the future. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Marianne
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here,
    this is the War Room Home Theater Forum!"

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

A financial report on Yahoo today mentioned that Wal-Mart had more sales of low margin items like DVD players and software vs. high margin items like clothing, likely due to US consumer tax rebates.
    J6P is taking over. I rarely buy discs from Wal-Mart anyway, but their squeaky wheel assault could result in dual releases (ws+p&s), just as 'clean' versions of music CD's populate their stores while original versions are left to real music/video retailers.
    ------------------
    "Fearless Freep?! That's mmma boy!"

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Isn't that special. They keep trying to screw the avid fan and make it more inviting for the J6Ps of the world but DVDs.
    Cmon guys most fans have known about this format for close to 10 years. Yet you seem less concerned about doing right than just getting a larger market share. Hey can't you do both....sure offer BOTH!!
    Brent L

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I don't even bother looking for dvds at Wal-Mart anymore - it's too depressing.
    Elitist bastard tirade: besides the sorry selection of dvds, I hate playing "dodge the trailer park matron and her entourage of caterwauling guttersnipes"! (Not to mention the legions of shambling oldsters - what is this, a geriatric Dawn of the Dead? Aagghh!!) [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

8. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

So does this mean that, if studios do not make P&S titles available, they will only have a few DVDs in stock?
    When did all of this happen? This is the first I have heard of it...
    Ans when are they supposed to "implement" this policy? Did they issue a press release or is the all purely speculation?
    This sucks.