What's new

So what do we all think of the Simpsons Season 1 Set? (1 Viewer)

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I am very happy with the first season. I'll be buying season 2 when it comes out. I have had no problems with any of the discs. Some of these episode were ones I had not seen in a long time. It was great to see them again.
[Edited last by Dave_P on October 11, 2001 at 09:36 AM]

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Patrick, season 13 begins November 4. I believe the main voice artists are all signed through season 15. I've read recent interviews with writers/producers from the show who point out that Bonanza went 20 seasons. I take that as a hint that's what they're shooting for.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
My 3rd disc was defective but Wal-Mart exchanged it.
Although not all of the episodes have been watched yet, I did notice some weird artifacts in the pilot episode.
During a scene while there is a solid color background, I can see a ghost of Homers face before the actual scene with his face followed it. It reminded me of analog tape print through. The only other place I've ever seen this is on a DVD demo disc that I got back in '96.
Other than that, I'm happy.
What aggravates me is that Furturama is being release next year in Germany, but not here. Why not?
------------------
"What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
Stolen from a BBS in 1985
[Edited last by Scott Strang on October 11, 2001 at 01:03 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
DOES EVERYONE HAVE THE BEEPING IN THE MENUS OR IS IT JUST A FEW DISCS??
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Anyone wanna sell me their palm pilot?? Click here

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I am also very pleased with this set. Even though I've been an avid Simpsons watcher from the start, I forgot how "different" the first season's episodes are from the current product. The first few episodes were hard to get used to (Chief Wiggum's voice, Mr. Burns' voice, even Homer's voice) but the last few episodes seem to be alot more like the current eps (although Wiggum's and Lovejoy's voices still seem waaaay off).
I watched "The Crepes of Wrath" and a few others last night. I still bust out in laughter when I hear Bart telling the French cop "they put anti-freeze in the wine" in French.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
What aggravates me is that Furturama is being release next year in Germany, but not here. Why not?
Probably syndication issues. They would get less for the syndication rights if the show is already out on DVD. If the delay the DVDs here they will get more for the syndication and still make money off the DVDs when they come 5 years down the road. Its just more anti-consumer BS but its the $$$ that count.
Vince:
I get the beeps on my discs too.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

JasonK

Supporting Actor
As has been said, season one is not the best season overall, but these discs are terrific. My favorite seasons are 2-6, so keep 'em coming Fox! I hope that Conan comes back for a commentary track on his episodes. Specifically, "Marge vs. the Monorail." I've watched all the episodes with commentary tracks on, and I've watched some of them as is. I just like hearing the writers talk about the show. A huge
icon14.gif
on this set.
[Edited last by JasonK on October 11, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
quote: My menus do not beep, Vince.[/quote]
Scott,
Could you double check? It should be on any menu with music, before the music starts it lets out a sync beep.
I was thinking maybe some people might miss it due to the time it takes a receiver to lock into the signal. Basicially thought maybe those who didn't hear it might have a lag in audio issue- my old receiver would take a second to lock onto a new signal (like the old DIe Hard menus) so I thought it might be there and you missed it.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Anyone wanna sell me their palm pilot?? Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on October 11, 2001 at 03:33 PM]

David Oliver

Second Unit
What can I say, i love it. I think the first season is quite good, it just seems...weird..because, as they mentionin the commentaries they really didn't know what they had and that all the epoisodes went into production before they even aired the first. I really like the commentaries, I just like how sometimes they all start laughing and you are laughing along with them. And there were some good insights as well.
Extremely pleased. Has there been any artwork for Season 2 case yet?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Vince, FYI, I checked my disc today, and there is a beep on the menus. I didn't notice it before, to be honest,

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking maybe some people might miss it due to the time it takes a receiver to lock into the signal. Basicially thought maybe those who didn't hear it might have a lag in audio issue- my old receiver would take a second to lock onto a new signal (like the old DIe Hard menus) so I thought it might be there and you missed it.
That's probably it. When I play the Simpsons discs on my Panasonic DVD player (hooked to a receiver), there are no beeps. However, when I play it on my PS2, which is only hooked into my TV's speakers, the beeps are there.
------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
I liked the set and have notiched no defects with it. Well put together and nice artwork and box design though i didnt like the info sheet stuck to the back of the box (looked like it could easily get pulled off). After watching the simpsons for many years, i had not seen these episodes in ages and realised how much the simpsons has changed. The simsons has now become a more mature comedy and the newer episodes are far more humerous. Homer is a far more likeable character now. This season does show how it all began though and is good for collecting. I hope to see the really good stuff on the shelves soon though and hopefully they will still release the rest season by season, instead of splitting them up cause they have more episodes per season after the first. Do we have any release dates for the others?

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
A must have
* * * *'S
Cant wait for seasons 2 and 3.
laugh.gif

------------------
I love to chat about dvd & HT , feel free to yahoo me.YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
" Master Yoda said I should be mindfull of the future." Obi-Won Kenobie

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Homer's Odyssey episode on my disc has an audio pause during the end credits at around 23:06. The picture does not freeze up, but there is definitely a pause in the audio.
Can you guys check and make sure that your copies do contain the same error? Thanks! I'd hate to have to return this great set.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hey everybody,
this is my first post here (I'm so excited).
> The Homer's Odyssey episode on my disc has an audio
> pause during the end credits at around 23:06. The picture
> does not freeze up, but there is definitely a pause in
> the audio.
The episode plays fine on my PC, but freezes completely at that point on my stand alone player (unless you fast forward through it). There was a thread on uk.media.dvd a while ago and a lot of people seemed to have that problem.
Also, Vince,
the beeps are on my disks, too, but I can only hear them on the PC! No beeps on the standalone (even when only connected to the TV), so if some people don't hear them that doesn't necessarily mean they're not there!
Chris

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am pleased with the disc set, and I literally cannot wait for more.
Columbia House VHS tapes are the only way to get some series in the unedited form; Fox is the only studio who has really tried to "build a better mouse trap," and they've succeeded. Hopefully other studios with TV material I want to see on DVD will see this.
------------------
Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I got this set last night, and I also have the menu beeps. I didn't realize it was a problem; I figured they were supposed to be there. I'm not well versed in the technical aspects related, so I didn't know it was a "sync beep" or whatever, because I don't know what that is. In any event, unless there are other problems with any of the discs, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Who knows, maybe they'll fix it, and all of us will have the rare early mistake discs? :)
But I do have something to say about the quality of the images. I've been watching it on my computer, and the quality is not that great. It really looks like I'm watching an old VHS tape in 6-hour speed that's been recorded over a bunch of times. I don't know if I would notice that on a regular TV, because of the lesser resolution (my regular DVD player is on loan to my fiance's mother at the moment, so I can't verify).
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
jjr512-genome-logo1.jpg

Join our Genome@home Team! (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks