What's new

So what *can* you do at a T-Mobile store? (1 Viewer)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Warning! Warning! Warning!
RANT MODE ENGAGED

I've been with Voicestream/T-Mobile for about 3 years now and have been reasonably pleased with their phone service. Their customer service and corporate policies, though, are nothing short of maddening.

1) When I first signed up with them, I went to a store to do it. The rep had to call into CS, using the same number any ordinary person would. After standing there for 45 min as the employee waited on hold, I started getting fed up. Soon after, though, the call was answered and my order processed. My phone was activated after a few hours and I was good to go.

The store can't activate accounts; they only do for you what you could do for yourself.

2) Last year I got married and subsequently changed my name. I, again, went to a T-Mobile store to take care of my business. I was promptly informed that I may not change my name without faxing their corporate office a copy of my marriage certificate. WTF is that all about? I already had my name changed officially, in other words I already had a new Social Security card and drivers license. What on earth does a private company need my Marriage Certificate? If a drivers license is proof enough to open a new account, why is it not enough to change my name? Ironically enough, during the same visit I was able to transfer my husband's account onto mine, change my rate plan, and change the billing address and credit card. So what they were telling me is that my new drivers license is not enough to change my name (I even had my old one still as proof of my old name), yet is good enough to change all other aspects of my account? Something doesn't add up here. Needless to say, I never bothered changing my name on the account.

The store can't change the name on an account. Even if I was willing to produce my marriage certificate, they said they couldn't accept it. It must be faxed into their corporate office.

3) Today I tried cancelling my account because I'm tired of all this mess. So I casually walk into a T-mobile store and tell the saleswoman that I want to cancel my account. She coldly tells me "I can't do that. You have to call custome service yourself." Well gee whiz, at least when you activate and account they give you the courtesy of calling for me. And for my consolation prize, she asks if I'd like to use their phone. Uh, I don't think so. I'd rather wait the 45 min on hold sitting on my couch, not in your worthless store.

The store can't cancel accounts.

So please, someone, tell me what the stores *can* do? They seem to be nothing more than decoration.

RANT MODE DISENGAGED

Thank you.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Sell phones?
One would think so, but this is the same as activating a new account. You still have to hang around while the salesperson waits on hold. I haven't met anybody that's gotten a new phone in less than an hour from their store.

I guess my whole point is that they aren't even tapped into the company's computer network and everything they do is done by calling CS. I might as well be at home and call CS myself. The salesperson inevitably hands me the phone to talk to the CS rep myself anyway.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Maybe it's the store in your area? I've been with Voicestream/T-mobile for about a year and when I went to one of their stores to purchase and activate my phone it was quick and painless. I was there maybe 15 minutes. Any other question or change was handled on the phone and the T-Mobile reps were always friendly, knowledgable and eager to assist. I wonder if they could have taken care of your name change over the phone and saved you a trip to the store?

Shane Bos

Second Unit
When I activate a customers phone it takes between 10 and 15 minutes. I also will cancel an account for a customer although CS does usually want to speak with the customer directly. I do pride myself on customer service though so I don't know if this is the norm or not but I doubt it.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I have been with them for close to two years. When I first got my phone I was in and out in less then 15 minutes. When I got a new phone in February it took less than 10 minutes.

Of course, I came from Sprint PCS prior to them so maybe I still have blinders on from not being treated like trash.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Yeah, here in Canada, Bell Canada, Telus, and Rogers/At&T all have store fronts with their names in big bold letters. Problem is, these stores ARE NOT run/owned/operated by the carriers themselves. They are all owned and operated by third parties, who presumably pay big cash to the carriers to license and sell under the carrier's name.

Service varies from store to store, or franchise to franchise. 7 years back, when I moved to Toronto I won a Moto Flip phone from Bell. None of the bell stores in my area would honor the promotion, and I had to go half way across the GTA to find one that would.

*sigh*

Even worse is the various carriers not allowing you to use your perfecly good phone if you want to switch carriers. Especially with GSM, all you should have to do is switch the SIM card out. Nope, they want you to buy a new phone :frowning:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
A copy of your marriage certificate?? That's kind of extreme.

Several years ago, when I was a custom service rep with GTE Wireless (now Verizon), I had a customer called in and wanted to do a name change because he/she had a sex change (or "gender reassignment" as he/she put it). All we requested was a copy of the old/new driver's license and social security. And that was it. No doctor's note required.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Danny, that's exactly what I thought. I even called them up and asked, apparently it's corporate policy. :rolleyes

Is that even legal?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Leila,

I am not sure whether it's legal or not. I am just going by common sense....in your case, you just want to change your last name on the contract you have with T-Mobile; whether you are married or not is irrelevant. Once T-Mobile has determined you have the same social security number and driver license number, and therefore the same person, that should be enough. What more do they need? A signature in blood?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks