So what are you getting your wife for X-mas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian a, Nov 29, 2001.

1. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Ok, guys. It's time to go shopping. I haven't spent a lot of time on it yet, and was wondering what you guys are getting your wives (or other SO's) for christmas. Any great ideas out there?

brianca

2. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

For the past four years when asked "What do you want for Christmas, Honey?", my wife has shown me this crappy newspaper advertisment for some cheap ass jewerly that can only be ordered online. For the fourth year in a row I will refuse to purchase this with my hard earned money. Even though my wife hates it, I will once again give her cash. Many people (my wife included) think that's tacky, unromantic and unthoughtful. They reason I don't care enough to take the time to shop and pick out something I think they would like. Well, to be honest, that's is kinda true. I figure if you got the cash, you can go get exactly what you want instead of something I want you to have. This may or may not spark a big debate. Personally I think cash is a perfect gift unless romance is your main objective. So why isn't romance my main objective in a gift for my wife? You got me there. Since I would love to recieve cash for these very reasons, I assume everyone for the most part feels the same way. I'm sure they don't but....... I just can't buy into expensive jewelery. The funny thing is she never takes the money I give her and buys the jewelry. What does that tell me? That she didn't really want it in the first place or that she really wanted something else more. The other funny thing is I give her way more cash than the cost of the cheap item she wants. Logic says buy her what she wants and save the extra money. I dunno. Pencil me in for another fight on the 26th.

3. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

A new digital camera. Right now she uses an old 640x480 connected to a serial port. The importing of pics is really slow. I figure I'll hook her up with a new one, USB, docking port, higher resolution. She'll be happy. [​IMG]

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

A new mattress. Ahem...I've worn the other one out. :b

5. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

Probably something from Tiffany's. I've never given

a gift that has gotten such a great reaction, and so

much attention from all of her friends. And it doesn't

even matter what it is, just so long as it's from there.

6. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

A reproduction of Glamdring from FotR.
    (It's what she wanted!)
    [​IMG]

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    We already exchanged Xmas gifts due some extra paychecks that are not in our budget.........MONEY.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Howard,
    I'm sort of in your position. My wife is a stay at home mother, so I'm the only wage earner. She wants me to give her money so she can buy me presents, but the problem is, I've already bought everything I want (that I can afford). If I want something, I just go out and buy it. If she wants something, I give her money, and she goes out and buys it, or I buy it for her. So when Christmas time comes around, I'm forced to make a choice: Tell her I don't want anything and don't give her any extra money to spend on me (thus upsetting her), or give her money and let her buy me token items I don't really need (thus wasting money).
    I let her waste the money. She appreciates it. Besides, if I don't give her extra for me, she takes money out of her own budget of necessary items and buys me things anyway. She then just does without whatever that money was intended for, which makes me feel even worse. So I just give it to her.
    As for her presents, I so far have bought her a pair of jeans, some warm socks, two DVDs, and one of those itty bitty book lights (she loves to read at night). I have no idea what else I'm going to buy her. Probably some more clothes and DVDs. [​IMG]

9. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

Andrew: That's awesome... where'd you get it, and what did

it set you back?

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I bought my girlfriend an iPod, and she bought me a GameCube. Lots of other incidental gifts as well, but those are the two big-ticket items exchanging hands this year. We tried not to let each other know what we were getting each other, but for one reason or another, we each had to break down and tell the other person.

But neither of us know what the little gifts are.

11. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Andrew, that's an awesome blade, dude. How about some info?
    My S.O. and I have been so busy trying to figure out and budget gifts for everyone else, we almost forgot about each other. And the fact that I make twice as much as she does doesn't help the matter because I could possibly buy her something that costs much more than what she gets me. It doesn't matter to me, but she has a problem with that for some reason. So we decided to 1) get gift certificates for each other. Best Buy or Toy's R Us for me, Victoria Secrets for her [​IMG]. And 2), we each get one "surprise" gift that can't go over $100. I'm thinking about finding a charm bracelet for her, or maybe a small chain with a heart or something like that. She likes things that have some kind of sentimental value ...
    Freddy C.

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I saw that Blade in a catalogue this week... I can't remember which one (helpful eh?). They also have the ring in a nice little [insert the name of those jewelery cases], the ring inside a sphere of glass with the dark riders holding it together for about $79 and stuff like that. It would be great if one of my friends was thoughful enough to get me something like that [​IMG]... I guess that is what wives are for [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

13. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

well its my girlfriend, but I am getting her a 1/2ct. Emerald cut engagement ring in a white gold setting. Believe me when I say this hurt the ol' pocketbook.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

15. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Well, I don't actually have it yet... It's on backorder.
    They also have repros of Sting and the Witchking sword. I've heard that Aragorn's sword, Anduril, is supposed to be out next year.
    They're not going to ship until after the movie is out on the 19th. We're not going to be at home anyway, so I'll just give here a picture of it. (Attracts less attention in carry-on luggage too... [​IMG])
    Take a look here for more details.

16. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Kelley,

Very nice! We went looking at engagement rings last night, just for fun. We found a ring we liked, it was $750, without a diamond. We wanted to look at 1/2 carat diamonds, but all they had were 3/4 carat ones. This was was rated ESL1, and was $3500. Yikes!

It did look nice, but neither of us are comfortable spending that much on a ring.

17. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Last year for Christmas I purchased my wife an 'upgraded' diamond engagement ring/jacket set. The diamond was a 1.1 caret stone plus the setting and diamond jacket. this year she has talked about an additional jacket for the ring, something to be less formal than the diamond jacket.... so that is what I'll be looking at....
    As for what she's getting me, well I've had my eye on this new boat [​IMG]
    ~Kurt

18. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Every time I look at my fiance's finger, I see what could have been my brand new, 65 inch widescreen TV, and new receiver.
    Sometimes I ask her to put her ear up to the ring and tell me if she can hear the 5.1 channels of sound eminating from it.
    I actually just bought her wedding band a few weeks back. we're not getting married until April, but the price of Platinum is dirt-cheap right now... her engagement band is platinum so I was kinda stuck having to get a platinum band as well [​IMG]

19. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    C L O T H E S

20. brian a

brian a Second Unit

Every time I look at my wife's finger I think about a nice refurb 9" CRT. Whoever came up with that 2 month salary rule.... Anyway:

I have to say that the charm bracelet is a great gift. A few years ago my mother got my then finance one of x-mas and we've added charms to it for big moments in life. A dog for our puppy, a house charm when we got one, an I love you charm when we got engaged, etc. There's probably 8 or so on there now.

That's one small gift in the bag every year, and she loves them. I highly reccommend it.

A little MP3 player isn't a bad idea either. I hadn't thought of that. She's still using a CD walkman that skips during workouts.

brianca..