So what are the Certs to get these days?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John*Jones, Sep 15, 2003.

1. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Well, I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I am in a similar situation. I'm graduating in December with a degree in Management of Information Systems, and I was thinking of complimenting my degree with a few certifications. Network administration appeals to me, and I will most definitely be going for my CCNA. However, I would like to pursue a few others.

Basically, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. What, if any, certs are highly sought after nowadays? I'm up for anything but programming.

Thanks,

John

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

As someone who just entered the job market after graduating, I can give some suggestions. Get some job experience!!! All my friends who graduated with MIS/Computer Science Degrees say they are worthless without any real world job experience (something other than selling PCs at CompUSA).

3. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Sun Solaris, Oracle 9i, Red Hat Linux are all good ones to have. The Microsoft ones are not as valuable these days but most companies just expect you to know that stuff.

The Unix and DBA certs are much more valuable since they are not as easy and thus less people have them. Oracle is a monster of a product and you could spend your entire working career learning it. I think you can download their personal edition for free so you can get some hands on work with it.

Good Luck,
    Jeff

4. John*Jones

Well, I was hoping some certs might give me a better chance to actually get some job experience :). Thanks for the advice Jeff.

Anyone know a good place that offer programs for just certs? I constantly come across "boot-camp" courses, but I'm not sure that's a good or bad thing.

Thanks

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Unix, CISCO,,,,,Microsoft certs are saturated...everyone has them...
    Hands on experience and certs are key....check with people in your area to see what is popular...what is usefull.

6. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Stay away from the boot camp type training. There is no possible way you can learn that much by having that much info crammed down your throat.

If you have the patience the best way in my opinion is hands on practice. Go out to Best Buy and buy a copy of Red Hat linux and practice installing it on a spare computer. It's a very easy install BTW. The Red Hat Certified Engineer certification only requires 1 exam. More and more companies are going to start looking at Linux do to it's low cost. A friend of mine that works for AOL said they are now running several of their Production Oracle databases on Red Hat Linux servers.

A good source for certification information from all types of vendors is http://www.cramsession.com

Good Luck.
    Jeff

7. John*Jones

Thanks guys. Actually, I installed Red Hat on my laptop just a few weeks ago. It was an easy intall, but beyond basic navigation, I was lost. I was hoping to tackle that problem after I get through with Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash. Oracle sounds like it might be a fun challenge. Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks agains guys.

John

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I graduated last year in MIS and became a CCNA and MCP during the final semester and it did not help me get a job at all. YMMV.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Security and anti-virus seems to be about the only part of IT that isn't in decline.

10. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer