What's new

So, Uh ... Titanic's 10th Anniversary? (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I just sorta realized today flipping through movie soundtracks on my iPod that the 10th anniversary of James Cameron's Titanic is coming up.

Dec. 19th, 1997 is when the film launched IIRC. Is anything planned at all? I realize there some backlash against the film being so popular, and it really doesn't feel like 10 years since at all ... but are there any plans to screen the film again in a theater?

Usually the Arc Light theater in Hollywood gets screening of films for occassion's like this, but I've heard nothing. I kinda figured maybe a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD release would be out this year too, but nada.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've seen titanic from begining to end since the original screening nearly 10 years ago, despite owning the first DVD for as long as it's been out. I keep meaning to, but kept postponing it. That screening was a tremendous experience whose memory I cherish, and I think I've just been reluctant to "dillute it" with a lesser presentation. Filmwise, I was also a very different person back then, and worry that my current sensibilities might get in the way. Eh...

But I would love to see it on the big screen, someone somewhere has got to be playing it no?

--
H

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only acknowledgment so far has been that recent 2-disc "10th Anniversary Edition" DVD, which is nothing more than the first two discs out of the 3-disc Collector's Edition packaged in an ugly slipcover, and from what I've seen it's even more expensive than the 3-disc is now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see it again in the theaters. Earlier this year, I read a rumor (which obviously proved untrue) that it was going to be re-released in theaters and that they might try for an IMAX 3-D release too. I wish that had happened.

I probably haven't watched Titanic since the three discer came out a couple years so I'll be watching it again on the 19th.

I'm happily surprised that there's been 5 posts and still no "i hate lEo" or "titanic sux!!!!!!!!!!!!" posts. Maybe the internet is growing up.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:D I don't think Titanic will ever shed it's "overrated" status with many, but it's fair to say that Leo has since earned the respect of naysayers with his choices and performances. I've not seen anyone rag on him in ages. But the odd jab at Titanic is never very far away...

--
H

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I dare say Titanic's ginormous popularity has actually doomed it to be forever UNDER-rated. It's not a perfect movie but it completely absorbs me every time I watch it.

As for Leonardo DiCaprio, Titanic was the first movie in which I didn't find him to be completely annoying. Prior to this movie he had always played the tortured, whiny, mentally-challenged teenager.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I actually would like to see it again in a theater because I dunno ... maybe it's the 2-disc swap thing, but I find Titanic is one of those movies I really can't watch at home.

It plays much better on the big screen (the real big screen) I think. DiCaprio and Winslet both probably deserve some props for being shrewd in their film choices after Titanic to avoid being typecast. It's kinda funny that DiCaprio/Winslet didn't get typecast, but actually it seems like this film has gotten typecast, it'll always be remembered more for the craze that it triggered than probably the actual film itself.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Speaking of the 10th anniversary DVD release, what's with that bizarre cover art that makes it look like Kate & Leo are standing in the water while the boat sneaks up behind them?

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon

That's the cheesy-horror influence from Cameron's Roger Corman days.

Anyone remember "Roger Corman's Titanic" on the Simpsons?

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Geoff

It's playing tomorrow (12/19) in Spring Hill, Florida.

Seattle's Cinerama played it in 70MM at the beginning of December. There were a few other screenings across the country over the past few months.

My blog lists screenings of Titanic & other favorites. If I hear of any others, I'll add them. (Titanic Screenings)

Cheers,
Jonesy
Movie Theatre Reviews

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just read your THX piece.

I wasn't aware of how much the idea behind it had deteriorated.

I do love those (occasionally) wacky trailers, though.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I still think it's a great film, not perfect by far but kept me sitting in the theater for 3 hours with no problems, not many films would glue me to a seat for 3 hours. (LOTR Trilogy not counted) :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

While I still hate Titanic and still think it's a soap opera with a pre-teen girl mentality, I do have to admit, having seen Leo DiCaprio in other roles (e.g., Catch Me if You Can) that I think far more of him as an actor than his lightweight role in Titanic had led me to believe.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

Looking forward to it, Chuck.

I have a lot of bittersweet thoughts and feelings associated with the film - it's a favorite of my ex-wife's, and we saw it four times at the theater. While I can certainly point out a lot things I don't think worked (or work on repeat viewings), it will remain a milestone event for me WRT seeing movies at the cinema.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's my Titanic story. I've had an interest in the disaster and I'm a huge fan of James Cameron so I was pretty excited about it. Given the budget, running time, that it was a period piece and having to move the release date to December, I figured the movie was going to flop hard. Before the release, I was telling friends (nearly all who seemed completely unaware of it) to check it out to try spread the word in some way. I went to the first show in the morning and was surprised to see a fair number of mostly older people there. I loved the movie but I still figured it was going to flop. I decided to see the next show in the afternoon but this time, the theater was nearly sold out and there was a huge range of ages of people there. It was then that I thought "Huh, maybe this movie will do OK." :)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
For me the deciding factor regarding watching the film was Jim Cameron's personal journal he kept during production, read by Cameron himself during a special edition of ABC's Nightline. This was in January or February of 1998, I don't recall exactly. Prior to that, I had avoided it because it seemed to be promoted like a huge romance story and little more, and I had no interest in that so seeing and hearing Cameron's words on the experiences and dedication to the real factual story convinced me that it was much more than some big lovey-dovey fairy tale movie. It was a true-to-life account of the Titanic disaster, and with all the effort put into the authenticity and integrity of the subject, I felt it was important to see it on those terms.

When it was over, I couldn't tell if I liked it or not because the only thing that stuck in my mind were old Rose's words about only one boat coming back, and 1500 people freezing to death. Those images were the only thing I could see in my mind. Had to think about it more, think about the earlier half of the film and how 'pleasant' it was in comparison to the ending. By the time I saw it a second time, I was better prepared and did indeed enjoy it thoroughly. Never have I been aware of its 3+hour running time because I'm totally immersed in that world. Like Cameron said in an oft-repeated soundbite while promoting the film, 'Once you're on the Titanic you can never get off'. He was absolutely right.

Happy 10th, Titanic 1997
:star::star::star::star::star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks