1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

So the buy.com google deal is over. Where is the cheapest place to buy BDs..?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Dave Mack, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hi Guys!

I missed out on the google checkout deal. Where is currently the best place to order? Any deals like the previous one? Thanks! dave

2. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I think the best deal on a daily basis is still Amazon. Especially if you throw in the extra 10% off.

From the Weekly Roundup
    --Amazon.com continues their special offer on Blu-Ray & HD-DVD discs: Save an additional 10% on all of your Blu-ray & HD-DVD Disc purchases for the next year. Purchase three Blu-ray or HD-DVD Discs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three high-def Discs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10. Go HERE for details.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I agree with Chris. Now that the Google deal is history, Amazon's consistently low prices coupled with the 10% discount and free shipping on orders over $25 is the cheapest thing going for new HD-DVD/Blu-ray discs. Bonus - they seem to have ironed out some of the stock and shipping issues they were having, at least for now.

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Is this offer still valid? It said purchase before 12/31/06.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I didn't realize this was a limited offer. I was able to get in on a $30 purchase 10 days before Christmas.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Thanks for the Google Checkout bonus deal, I find myself with a nice start-up collection of HD DVDs (13 titles, plus a season set). I'm surprised you didn't know about it for the 6 weeks it was in effect from around Thanksgiving to after Christmas. But then I got the bill from the splurging and was quickly brought down to earth. So, perhaps it was good you didn't find out about it earlier, lots of pain later once the bill comes in...

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

yep, the amazon deal is dead. [​IMG] Even though I got my Ps3 from them and it IS a BD player (and their info. said "buy ANY Bd player and qualify", supposedly Amazon doesn't consider it one....

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I was able to place an order this morning on Amazon and put in the coupon and get the 10% off. Time will tell if I end up getting the 1 year membership for 10% off all HD purchases in 2007...

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That's interesting news about the death of the Amazon.com deal. I had indeed checked on it while putting together this week's RoundUp (but, I suppose, that might have been before 1-1-07).

The link explaining the deal is still active...but they make it clear the deal expired 12-31-06. Good luck, Carlo!

10. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    The deal is still active on my account at Amazon. I just checked. You should email their CS Dave and complain.

11. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Speaking of clear, let's be clear about the deal "expiring". [​IMG] If you ACTIVATED the deal on your Amazon.com account before 12/31/06 then you've still got 10% off HD-DVD/Blu-ray titles for one year from the date of your initial qualifying purchase. The deal is only expired in the sense that you can no longer "sign up" for it.

12. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

David
    FYI, FWIW, Google Checkout has reactivated the "$10 off $10" signup promotion, and it apparently works with existing accounts as long as you go through the 'signup' link I found at SlickDeals:

http://www.google.com/checkout/signupbonus_google.html

Since Buy.com slightly lowered prices on some of their HD-DVDs after the 20/50 deal ended, I was able to use this "new" deal on my existing GCO account to buy Superman 2 HD-DVD for $11.02 shipped. Also used a different GCO account to buy Matador HD-DVD for $11.97 shipped at BestPrices.com.

Pretty nice deal! Have fun....

13. Carlo Medina

Thanks Mike, I'm going to need it! [​IMG]

Yes I do see that it says the deal needed to be activated in 2006. But I'm just hoping for a little amnesty. I honestly planned to buy in late 06 but ended going w/ some friends to Baja for New Years for a few days. By the time I got back, it was too late. But I did put the coupon code in and it still deducted the 10%. So the first part of the deal worked, I'm just hoping to get the second part.

If I don't get it by next week I'll call or email customer service and see if I can get on that deal anyway. They're always looking to sell product, and I think they're still making a nice profit on these, so maybe they'll see their way to letting me sneak in. I'd certainly make Amazon my first and primary source for all things BD and HD.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

If it was up to me, I'd let you in, Carlo! [​IMG]

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

worked for me today! Thanks guys.
    My first BD discs are a'comin'....!

[​IMG]

16. Carlo Medina

Dave - sorry this thread got a little confusing. When you said "it worked for you", which deal were you referring to? The Amazon deal post-12/31/06? If so, are your current prices now 10% lower than before (when browsing Amazon)? Or has the second half of the deal not yet materialized?

Mine hasn't, but reading the Amazon page (aside from the fact that I used the coupon past the deadline) it says that it applies to completely shipped orders, and I have one of my 3 titles on backorder for 1-2 weeks. So I'm hoping that after that one ships, my Amazon prices will lower. Keeping my fingers crossed...

And thanks for the sentiment Mike!

17. Wayne_Marshall

Wayne_Marshall Auditioning

obiwayne
    I used the deal and ordered 7 DVDs today from various participating retailers. I paid $2.49-$12.49 each with shipping.
    Awesome deal![​IMG]
    I even created a new gmail account tonight and was able to get the 7th order through.
    BTW I used the same credit card for all 7 orders and accounts.
    Happy Shopping!

18. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Does anyone know how the $10 bonus offer works? If I try to place a second order, it states the full price. Does the $10 bonus offer reflect on the second order in google checkout after purchasing an item from a store?

19. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Scott
    The current $10 off $10 Google Checkout promotion is for first-time customers only. So it only works for your first order with a given Google account.