What's new

So... the bigger the box, the deeper the bass??? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I was looking at some UniBox graphs...

Apparently, a cheap (good) sub with nice Xmax and Qts can deliver a good deal of power (close to a Titanic 10" - 12"), if the box is big enough.

Even better, the response curve is just -6 dB at 20 Hz.

If I do build this thing (the box is big - 150 L), is there any other thing to check for than max displacement and group delay? Is building a bigger box an easy solution to flatter frequency response with a less powerful driver? I'd assume this helps reduce overall distortion, too, since the driver doesn't have as much air resistance to overcome as in a small box...

Thanks for your help!

Javier.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
In general, a bigger Vb raises efficiency down low, so you see the curve flatten and the F3 drop. No idea what the generic mystery driver is you're referencing, it might do well.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Jack,

The driver is a small Cerwin-Vega, which has 17 mm Xmax. I was wondering whether building a big box for it is a good idea, given the fact that it's not a really complex or expensive driver. I know cheap drivers must do something worse than expensive ones... and I really don't know whether building a big or a small box for them is recommended.

Not that I'm worried too much about getting this sub wrong... because today, my Tempest AA will be finished!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks