What's new

So....tell me about FUTURAMA (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Ron, go for it. It would be great to hear your take on it, as someone who's never heard of it before. If it helps, Gord watched his review copy a week ago, and he loved it.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Ron?

Oh Ron?

The only excuse I'll accept for not replying to this thread is if you're currently reviewing Futurama! :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have Roger Rabbit to do today, Hanibal
to do Monday and by Tuesday I should have a review of
Futurama up.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
"We've crossed paths."
"Was that before or after you slept with him?"

:laugh:

Someone on DVDTalk posted that Blockbuster has the MSRP of this set listed incorrectly in its database, at $24.99. I'm going to attempt a preorder later today.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Zapp Brannigan: We have failed to uphold Brannigan's Law. However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?
[pause]
Zapp Brannigan: Kif! I'm asking you a question!
[Kif groans.]

Fry : I know Big Vinnie said he was giving me the Kiss of Death,
but I still think he was gay.
Leela : Did he use his tongue?
Fry : A little.

Bender: Aaarghh, what an awful dream! Ones and zeroes everywhere...
and I thought I saw a two!

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to hear that you're going to review it, Ron. I'll be looking forward to that. By the way, I thought this show was cancelled, but then FOX aired a new episode last week. So then I tune in tonight, and there was a Simpsons episode on. What is FOX doing? The show's already got a bad enough timeslot without them giving it up for a Simpsons rerun every other week. It's not even prime-time!

AndrewA

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong, but the last I heard is that FOX did not per say cancel Futurama, it's just that they've stopped ordering any more brand new episodes from the production staff (effectively closing their shop...)

So FOX still has a library of Episodes that are completely done and delivered but never aired (thanks to football and Futurama being treated as the forgotten son). So FOX is determined to air the rest of the episodes as new seasons. They calim they have enough for two more. Of course not a real full season since they plan to keep preempting Futurama for football.

Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the way FOX is doing it, a full season of Futurama = 2 episodes. :frowning:

Zapp Brannigan: Brannigan's Law is like Brannigan's love. Hard and fast. :laugh:

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
Fox can BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS for letting this show die.

Looking forward to the review Ron...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Another dissenting opinion here. I wanted to like the show, but it couldn't compare to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or even Red Dwarf. It was sometimes funny, or at least amusing at it explored every imaginable science fiction cliche, but the way it is being hyped up here is going to make Ron dissapointed.

That said, I'm probably getting it anyhow.

And does anyone think is suspicious that when a succesful producer develops a second show, their network seems to intentionally try to ruin his clout by ruining it? This happens often enough that I've got to assume it is a way to keep their paychecks (and influence) down.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Ken Seeber wrote (post #3):

Fox does not know what it is doing. Fox apparently has not known since the beginning of the series.

According to the Can't get enough Futurama website, the following episodes are left (and may not all make it to air by the end of May):

1. "Teenage Mutant Leela' Hurdles" (tentative airdate: 03/16/03)
  2. "Bender Should Not Be Allowed On TV" (tentative airdate: 03/30/03)
  3. "The Why Of Fry" (tentative airdate: 04/06/03)
  4. "The Sting" (tentative airdate: 4/13/03)
  5. "Bend Her" (tentative airdate: 04/20/03)
  6. "Obsoletely Fabulous" (tentative airdate: 04/27/03)
  7. "The Farnsworth Paradox" (tentative airdate: 05/04/03)
  8. "Three Hundred Big Boys" (tentative airdate: 05/11/03)
  9. "Spanish Fry" (tentative airdate: 05/18/03)
  10. "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" (tentative airdate: 05/25/03)[/list=1]

1. On the show's future from the FAQ:

Q: Is Futurama really cancelled?!
    A: While FOX never said it cancelled the show, they did stop ordering new episodes. The production crew thus broke up. There is a slight chance that FOX might ask David X. Cohen to build up a new team for another season. The episodes shown this fall all were meant to be aired last year but never did due to various pre-emptions. So they aren't really new.

Q: When does season 6 start in the US?
    A: Season 6 will probably never start.

While I like the spoofery of the stories and the array of in-jokes (always check background signs and video screens for jokes when you view the episodes), nobody's mentioned how beautiful and colorful the art of Futurama is. Lush, fantastic, and appropriate colors and scenery make the episodes a visual joy to behold every bit as much as the comedic zingers (and there are plenty of those) tickle the funny bone.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So did we ever find out if Ron liked Futurama?

I forget which episode (and the exact verbage), but there was an episode wher Amy shows off her tattoo and it's very small. Then there is some refference to HDTV and she says something about how you can only see the detail in High Def, then they show the tattoo and it's blurry :D

Kent Keltner

Auditioning
God I love this show. So many great episodes. When I heard the show was being put on Hiatus last year, I discovered they were holding a event for the show in LA, so I ordered the Region 2 set (the xbox can easily be made into a dedicated region 2 player, it does pal -> ntsc conversion and even gets the aspect ratio correct which many cheap all region players can't. I already have about 3 other DVD players, so...)

I went to the event, met the cast/crew, had a blast, and even met some again during E3. When they all saw my Region 2 set, the most asked question was "Is that a bootleg?" then surprise as they recognized it was Region 2 PAL and asked how to play them here as they had a few sets in the office.

Sorry for the large size of this pic... I just thought people would like to see the signed cover of one of the discs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks