So should I get the new couch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshF, Jul 3, 2002.

1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I just got the lease renewal for my place in NYC and they're not raising the rent, which is a good thing. I've been eye-ing a couch for about a year now, and I sort of told myself that I'd go and get the couch if the rent didn't go up much.
    So here I am contemplating getting the new $3000 leather couch that I've been coveting.
    Someone help me just go spend the cash! I don't usually have this much of an issue, but I've always been against spending more than $1k on a couch.
    Someone put me in my place. [​IMG]

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Well, it depends:
    Are you single or married? If single, go for it. If married, just make sure it's comfortable enough for you to sleep on. [​IMG]
    Do you have any dogs or cats? Cats will think a leather couch is the perfect place to sharpen their claws, and dogs will think it's a giant chewtoy.
    I've always loved the smell of fresh leather in the morning.

3. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

If you've had your eye on this couch for a year, it's obviously not an impulse purchase. If you can afford it and think the couch is worth three grand, I say "go for it!"

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But three grand could buy some really cool HT equipment, you know--and that's infinitely more important than a sofa.

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

No wife, but a girlfriend I've been living with for three years. She likes the couch, too, and offered to go in on it, but I haven't made that a necessity.

No pets, either.

And this couch will match the HT equipment quite well, and may pave the way for future upgrades.

Yes, I've been mulling this thing over for over a year. And yes, I have the money, I've had the money for over a year. It's just the idea of spending that much on a couch. I could spend more, sure. The couch it will be replacing cost me about $1000 only. I think I've been waiting for it to look shabby, and it's getting there. It's a cheap Jennifer Convertible sleeper that I've had for about 5 years now.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I say go for the couch. My wife and I have been thinking about the same thing for the last little bit. Make sure that you look around at the different furniture shops that are available in your area because we found a huge difference in what type of warranties and leather were offered. For 3K you should be able to get a custom built couch with grade 8-10 leather that will come with a lifetime warranty. Best of luck on your new purchase.

KyleS

7. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Thanks for the advice, Kyle. The couch is definitely custom built, but I'll check into the leather grade.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What kind of display device do you have? Is it still NTSC-only? If so, then you have a moral obligation to upgrade to the newer ATSC technology before buying a sofa. And three grand could get you one nice HD-capable display.

*I am being to voice of your conscience.*

9. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

10. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

11. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

12. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Jeremy:

But you admit on your HT page that the furniture is the next upgrade. :b

13. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I say go for it. I spent about the same amount last year on a leather sectional for my family room and my wife and I love it. Of course, I've already got the 65" HDTV though. [​IMG]

14. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    [sigh]
    I just got messed with by the furniture shop. I was at our new apartment waiting for delivery of our new sofa and TV console.
    we had ordered the furniture a few months ago, and delivery was supposed to be on Saturday 29/6). the shop told us between 3 and 8 pm. that's a large window, but what the heck. at 5.30 we called the driver, who said he hadn't even picked up our furniture yet (still at the warehouse) and had been making deliveries all over the place, and wouldn't get to our place until 9pm at the earliest. since we didn't have any electricity yet, that wasn't a very good idea so we re-scheduled to this morning. the shop promised it would be the first delivery run, and should arrive around 12, latest before 1pm.
    this morning, they screwed up and the delivery truck made another stop first. by 12 they were still at the other place, and could not guarantee that they would get to our apartment AND finish assembling the TV console by 2pm -- my absolute cut-off as I had to go back to work. they then promised to re-schedule to 6.30pm instead, i.e. after work.
    now my SO tells me the driver called her and wanted to deliver in an hour's time. you gotta be kiddin' me, we're still at work! right now I think she's still arguing with them, she hasn't called me back yet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    oops, sorry for off-thread rant. back to Josh, hey, if you've got the money and can afford it, and you really want it and think you'll enjoy it, why not? the key being "have the money and can afford it". otherwise, as Jack said, $3K buys a lot of HT gear... [​IMG]

15. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

JoshF, go for it.
    I just got my dream sofa delivered after a six month waiting time...
    It is dark brown leather and cost almost £2500, plus a footstool.
    I sat last night witha beer, my feet up, watched Training Day on the projector and thought about how much money I have saved not having a wife or pet...[​IMG]

16. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'm with Jack Briggs on this one. As I type this on my Webtv wireless keyboard I'm sitting in front of a 7 month old 57" HD-ready widescreen set (using a 13" Sharp on the coffee table as a monitor), a couple of grand worth of audio video sources and amplification and surrounded by another couple of thou worth of speakers, none of it more than 3 years old. The shelves on the walls opposite me are supporting over 400 dvds purchased since spring of 98.

The object I'm so comfortably ensconced on is a cat-shredded, soda and coffee stained greasy from fastfood armed sorta burlap-looking 13 year old sofa-sleeper purchased new for the grand sum of $499, and it's good for at least another dozen years or 3 tv upgrades, whichever comes first.

As long as one steers clear of the outrageously unreasonable decorating costs inherent in cohabitation, one can keep one's priorities in the proper perspective.

17. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

18. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    oh well, our new sofa was delivered safely yesterday evening, together with the TV console. must say it's quite comfy, it'll be great for slouching on while enjoying my new HT gear -- which still hasn't arrived [​IMG]
    so now the new apartment is starting to look like a future home, the empty rooms were "interesting" and spacious, but too stark. oh well, more furniture tomorrow.
    so Josh, have you decided yet? we want to know! [​IMG]

19. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Okay, I ordered the couch today. Black. It'll be finished in about 8-10 weeks they said. Custom job, obviously.

So what do I do with this Jennifer Convertible couch? It's a sleeper, in pretty good condition, not amazing condition, but definitely not time to be thrown out. Do I try to sell it? Give it to Salvation Army?

On a similar note, the family and friends from the west coast have become used to the fact that I had a sleeper couch. That'll be gone and replaced with a nice, smaller leather sofa. How do I explain to potential visitors that their sleeping accommodations have vanished?

20. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit