What's new

So, should I get HBO or Showtime in HD? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I have finally gotten the Dish 6000 and wanted to know which premium channel to get. I currently have HBO, but noticed that everything late tonight was upconverted.
So is Showtime better? I have heard the cropping stories with HBO, and I am not too worried about that. I am just happy to have HD and would like to know which channel will give the best and most programming in true HD.
Also, how do you tell if something is true HD or upconverted besides it being 4:3. Or is that the only way, besides the fact that true HD looks better.
Thanks for any info,
C. Ryan

Mike I

Supporting Actor
HBO hd is just about 24/7 hd now and also the Saprano's will be in hd beginning 3/4..Showtime still only has 3 to5 movies per day...many being repeated...Try both for a while...
------------------

PerryD

Supporting Actor
For the extra $9, Showtime is probably worth it. I was considering dropping it a couple months ago, but they've come through lately with their new movies being HD (World is Not Enough and Sleepy Hollow last month). If this month's new movies are in HD (Reindeer Games, Bringing Out the Dead, and Green Mile), it'll continue to be worth it.

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
If you want quantity over quality, go with HBO. I have both but prefer Showtime because they have shown that they respect the viewers. When HBO transmits DD5.1 there are always dropouts. Showtime always uses DD5.1 when possible and has no dropout problems. Showtime respects the intelligence of the viewers enough to label all their films on their website as to whether they are upconverts or true HDTV transfers and if they are OAR. HBO also tranmits 16/9 upconverts but labels them as HDTV.
HDTV movies in the 2.35 ratio look fantastic on Showtime but when HBO zooms 2.35 movies to 16/9 the image quality suffers.
Some of the best HDTV movies I have ever seen have been on Showtime in the 2.35 ratio.
------------------
Frank...
Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, so far I have been totally unimpressed with HD on HBO. None of the shows today have been in HD. What gives?
C. Ryan

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I am looking at the schedules, and I must say Showtime looks much more interesting when it comes to HD. For one thing they are straight forward about what is actually HD and their programming looks pretty good.
I kinda like HBO, but it looks like it might be Showtime for me.
C. Ryan

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I have the same issue with dropouts on HD HBO, every 5.1 movie has this problem. Anyone have any offical response from HBO on why this keeps happening and if there is a future fix planned?
The video quality of both HBO and Showtime is the same to me. I have no problems with either. Random Hearts last night on HBO was very nice on the video side.
My vote is to get both. Figure how much you spend on rentals vs. the monthly fee for both. I think you get your moneys worth.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well I have now noticed the audio drop-outs on HBOHD. Very anoying.
Has anyone noticed that it is only the 5.1 stream that drops. The analog audio signal continues. I noticed this tonight because I forgot to mute the TV while watching a few movies. The 5.1 stream droped out, but my TV played the audio right through it.
What is the reason for this?
C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks