What's new

So Ron, how's this years dvd of the year lookin so far? :-) (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
DanR said:
using a weighting of 30% video, 30% audio, 30% film, and 10% extras.
Dan your weighting would not reflect mine. I would rate film at 50% if not more.

It's about the quality of the story being told. In that respect LOTR wins easily - IMHO - of course.

In the end - it's about the movie itself - not how prettily it is presented.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ron thats a excellent idea. If you do it , it should be before the holidays so during a LOTR:EE or Episode II holiday commercial's it could say "Voted best DVD Release of the Year" members of hometheaterforum.com :)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
In the end - it's about the movie itself - not how prettily it is presented.
I completely disagree. This is about the DVD of the year - not film. As much as I would want a favorite film of mine to win, it should truly be about presentation, not the film itself. :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I believe it should be a combination of both the quality of the movie itself, as well as the quality of the DVD (transfer quality, sound, extras etc.).

Otherwise you could theoretically have a movie like "Freddy Got Fingered" as best DVD of the year (this is just an example, I have no idea what this DVD is like) if the DVD was perfect in any way. For a movie like that to win DVD of the year certainly would not reflect very well on the HTF!

So, the quality of the movie itself should definitely be considered in determining the DVD of the year. The weight to be given to that aspect is a different issue!

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Since I absolutely detest LOTR as a film, my DVD of the year is easily AOTC. Episode II has it all: story, effects, transfer and sound quality, extras, etc. LOTR isn't in my top 5:
1) Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
2) Monsters Inc.
3) Beauty and the Beast
4) E. T.: The Ultimate Gift Set
5) Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Honorable Mention:
Atlantis The Lost Empire: CE
Pearl Harbor: Directors Cut
Speed 5-Star
Tron 20th Anniversary
LOTR FOTR:EE -- The ONLY reason that I include this piece of trash is because of the wealth of extras.

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that on every 9 out of 10 DVD review sites LOTR:EE will be DVD of the year because it is 4 disc and a movie considerably better than the other 4 disc DVD released this year for the movie Pearl Harbor. Those merits alone give it the upper hand over any other release.
Now, if you were to compare the original release of the LOTR DVD to AOTC DVD there would be a clear winner. AOTC is the winner in every category.
Since New Line and Peter Jackson had have decided to one up everyone by release a DVD of Titanic ;) proportions, they are the default winner because of the sheer amount of extras.
George Luca$ & FOX have only released the movie once and have put out an exceptional DVD release for it. If GL had put out another DVD would be branded a greedy blah bla blah...
It would be unfair IMO for the new LOTR DVD to win since they got a second chance at re-releasing their material.
I'll ask you this question.
What's more exceptional:
Getting it done right the first time or getting a second chance at succeeding?

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

Thanks for stating that. I did earlier in this thread and was bashed for being a non-fan since I put the DVD on my x-mas list. Sorry if I am not made of money. And yes I am a fan, thats why I waited for this release. I did not direct my 'milk us for more money' line towards New-Line and Peter Jackson. It was more directed towards Lucas. How many times can the original trilogy be released on VHS with a little extra something to get the die-hards to buy it. Case in point, AOTC VHS has an extra that is not on the DVD(Star Wars: Connections" featurette).

If we do a poll I hope it waits till January because I get alot of DVD's for christmas. Last year I received Ron's pic for Christmas and was impressed. If you would have asked me before Christmas about Moulin Rouge, I would have laughed.

Couldn't this be a DVD Etc poll for an upcoming issue?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Getting it done right the first time or getting a second chance at succeeding?
This implies that New Line didn't "get it right" the first time, when they DID get both releases exactly right. The first release was for the casual fans, the simply curious, and the hard-core fans who wanted anything LOTR-related. The EE is for hard-core fans and since it is, in essence, a completely different movie, with a separate release, it should be considered on its own.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
LOTR FOTR:EE -- The ONLY reason that I include this piece of trash is because of the wealth of extras.
Any reason for the buckshot cast of your hatred of this film over two forums?

As far as I understand, this thread is a discussion of the best dvd of the year. And my list is the following:

1. FOTR:EE
2. Y Tu Mama Tambien
3. Monsters, Inc.
4. Glengarry Glen Ross

Last I heard, it was the Razzberries that awarded for the worst film of the year.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Any reason for the buckshot cast of your hatred of this film over two forums?
In my original post in the Movies forum, I hadn't watched LOTR:EE yet because I was too bored with it to get through it. Since that time, I have forced myself to finish the film and I now go on record as saying that it is a piece of trash. You don't like my opinion? TOUGH.

Now, back to the best DVD of the year discussion. I have nothing else to say either for or against LOTR.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Nothing to do about liking/disliking your opinion...I simply asked, why do you feel the need to broadcast it (in which you inappropriately untrack this 'dvd of the year' thread) in two different forums? Not to mention starting your own thread in the movies forum when you could've added to the extant, official review/discussion thread by D. Brecher. Others have voice their dissent there - why does your hatred warrant special status?

I have nothing else to say either for or against LOTR.
Have you said much of any difference?

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
I think for the $9.95 that I paid Wal-mart for my copy of ST:AOTC, it definitely gets my vote as DVD of the year.
good movie
great transfer
cool extras
great price!

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
My contenders (in no particular order)

SW:AOTC (good movie, GREAT transfer)
LOTR:FOTR (ok movie, GREAT transfer. I got the original version. 3 hours of this is more than enough)
Blade II (although..IMO.. it's not as good as the first one it's an exceptional dvd)

and nominations for best DVD transfers of "older" films

Saturday Night Fever (nice video and sound)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (see what a bit of TLC can do for a movie)
Pulp Fiction (same as above. Much much better than the original DVD)
Back To The Future Trilogy (I know the R1 isn't out yet. I got the R4 version. Perfect video presentation and DTS as well)
I just hope we see more classics given a nice bit of restoration before they go on to disc, like these 4 (I'm sure there are more out there). It all bodes well for next years DVD Of The Year....Blade Runner:Special Edition.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Sour grapes. Apparently since you can't handle that most people feel differently than you do you reduce yourself to this. Everyone has a right to their opinion as to whether or not they enjoyed a particular film. But again, to post derisive comments like these simply because -you- did not like the film, with little or no motive other than getting a rise out of people.. well.. it's embarrassing. There are a lot of movies that most people love that I can't stand. There's a lot of music most people love that I can't stand. But to declare to the world what "crap" anything I don't like is merely for the fact that I don't like it is both asinine and incorrect. Regardless, welcome to my ignore list.
Back to the topic, my votes for DVD of the year based on overall presentation are:
1) LOTR:EE
2) SW:AOTC
3) Blade II
4) Black Hawk Down
5) A Beautiful Mind
DVD of the year based solely on primary content choices:
1) 9/11
2) Ken Burns' Civil War
3) LOTR:EE
4) The Royal Tenenbaums
5) Monterey Pop (that was this year, wasn't it?)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why don't we do a DVD of the year in terms of Audio, Video, Film, Extras, and Overall? There could be 5 categories, with one DVD winning each.

I think we could also make it so that the one that wins best Overall could NOT win any other awards because it should be so good that it would win ALL of the other awards if it counted in those categories. If one DVD comes out and it stands above the rest (like many think AotC or LotR:EE do) then it will win everything, which isn't fair.

We could do a thread for nominations of DVDs, put them all in the running for all 5 awards, then have people vote on them, one category at a time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why don't we do a DVD of the year in terms of Audio, Video, Film, Extras, and Overall? There could be 5 categories, with one DVD winning each.
Great idea.

Perhaps divide video and audio into different formats (such as best remix, mono, etc for audio and best color, b&W, 16x9, and 4:3 transfers for video). That way, classics won't get left in the dust. (which happens 99% of the time)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks