What's new

So Ron, how's this years dvd of the year lookin so far? :-) (1 Viewer)

Ron,
I know you say you didn't want to pick a title to represent the forum, and I understand your reasons. If this is to be a forum represented title of the year, you pick your top 5 (or 10) and set up a poll for the month of January. let us vote our favorite and the winner at the end of January will stand as the forum's DVD of the Year.

Having said that, my pick by far and away is...da da da

LOTR:FOTR EE. For me, it's no contest whatsoever. It has everything. Great story, great transfer, great extras, great anticipation for the coming films...

Just my (rare) input.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Here are my Top 5 for the year:

1. Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition (hands down winner)

2. Pearl Harbor: Director's Cut

3. Beauty and the Beast

4. Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

5. Memento: Special Edition (surprised no one mentioned this yet)

Honorable Mentions:

Pulp Fiction
Monster's Inc.
Blade II
Buffy: Season 1 and Season 2
The Royal Tenenbaums: Criterion Collection
Traffic: Criterion Collection
From Hell
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: Collector's Edition
Unforgiven: Special Edition
True Romance: Special Edition

-Dean-

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
I am amazed that everyone is putting up the same recent releases again and again. Kinda boring at this stage, isn't it?

One of the pleasures of DVD is finding hidden gems from days past & extensive treatment/restoration/extras. What about titles from CC like "Monterey Pop," "The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp," or "Down By Law"?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Haven't even watched it yet, but the LotR:EE Box is pretty damn cool looking, which gives it a bunch of bonus points from me.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
Here are my Top Five so far(still have BTTF and others so)
1.LOTR:FOTR Extend Edition-just too much in quaility of extras
2.AOTC-picture and sound better, but I dunno I did both discs on the day it come out and it took me from Wed-This Morning to watch all the LOTR stuff:)
3.Pulp Fiction-this dvd does this kick-ass film justice
4.Star Trek II Wrath of Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5.Blade II
Honorable Mention:
1.TNG season sets
2. Tranformers Season One
Chris
"RESPECT MY AUTHOIRTY!" Eric Cartmen

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What about titles from CC like "Monterey Pop," "The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp," or "Down By Law"?
I’m in agreement with you Piers. A couple of us have already mentioned ‘Monterey Pop’ as a possibility. I’ve just received my copy and just love it. I suggested some other Criterion releases, but I don’t really think that they are over the top enough to make the grade. I have not yet ordered the latest P&P, so I can’t comment on its quality. I’m happy just to have it available.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As much as I am really enjoying FOTR EE and it is one great DVD, I would have to say that the top DVD for 2002 is Atlantis: The Lost Empire Collector's Edition.
I was blown away by the many extras on the disc. I loved how they handled the commentary, coming out of the film to explain different aspects of the film, and the video and audio quality on this movie is great.
Looking back on the last few years, it seems that Disney animated films tend to make great DVD sets. Look back at Toy Story: The Ultimate Toy Box and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition, both great DVD's turned out by Disney.
Of course, this is just my opinion, and we still have a month and a half left of this year for some studio to blow our socks off!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Ron wrote:
. They have had an
absolutely incredible year with their DVD releases.
Even more impressive is the total turnabout they have
shown to this format.
Well, I have to agree that Disney has had some outstanding releases this year. But they are certainly not consistent. Personally, I cannot give them the prize of Best Studio when they have put out so many P&S-only titles, some with garbage transfers.
I'm talking about DVDs like WHITE FANG, THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, and HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS. All while doing such a great job on other titles (although a nice package, I think they messed up with BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in compression - mosquito noise that is very noticeable and not just at 100x either).
I'm not saying that every title can get the same top quality treatment with extras, etc. But their treatment of some is quite shoddy.
Although they aren't perfect either, I'd have to give the nod to Warners at this point for the care they have been giving to older titles like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I agree with Glenn on the fact that I do not feel Disney deserves best studio this year. Above all else, they goofed on their most important release Beauty and the Beast.
I was frankly shocked at the horrid image quality (again, in MY opinion). This should've easily been in the top 5 DVDs of the year. As is evident by this thread, Beauty + the Beast is pretty much nonexistent on anyone's best list. I am just hoping beyond all hope that Disney does not put 3 different versions of The Lion King on one DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A few things....
First of all, I respect everyone's individual
opinion. However, there were just as many of us
that thought the transfer of Beauty and The Beast
was quite good.
Also, Disney isn't the only studio guilty of
releasing P&S titles. Most all the studios (except
Paramount) have done it and/or are still doing it.
I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion
regarding Disney, but when you look back over
their body of really superb releases this year
(including Monsters Inc., Pearl Harbor, Walt
Disney Treasures, Jackie Brown SE, Pulp Fiction SE
)
and so on -- they have been generally consistent.
Again, I don't expect everyone to agree.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I agree with you Ron about Disney:) I feel we won't need a poll to decide the best DVD of 2002. I can't see LOTR EE losing out. The only thing poll would accomplish is deciding #2 onward.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I rate my discs in an Excel file using a weighting of 30% video, 30% audio, 30% film, and 10% extras.

Star Wars Episode II is the first to receive a perfect video score from me (The only other perfect 5.0 scores were on the film rating side where I've given 6 perfect scores. If we ever get Raiders of the Lost Ark, that will probably be the next 5.0 score I ever give). The audio is close to perfect as well. From a technical standpoint Episode II is hands down the best DVD ever released. I do rate LOTR:FOTR higher as a film and slightly higher for extras, but according to the math using my weighting system, Episode II comes out on top. For the record, I have yet to purchase Monsters, Inc or Beauty and the Beast (I'm waiting until the Friday after Thanksgiving to see what the Best Buy prices are going to be). Too bad Pearl Harbor is not that good of a movie.

I do think a lot of people made up their minds that LOTR:EE was the best DVD of 2002 before they even had it in their hands. A lot of times when it comes to LOTR or Star Wars or LOTR vs Star Wars people are not objective at all. That's just what I observe on this forum.

Regards,
Dan

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>And, naturally, the quality of the film itself is hugely important. I mean, who cares about a superbit, infinifilm, deluxe criterion edition of "Death to Smoochy"?

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I agree with the majority. The extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is easily the DVD of the year.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I suggest we turn this into a poll in January once all the 2002 DVDs are out.
Well, I know that I did a comprehensive polling last December for a bunch of online DVD forums, including this one. I plan on doing it again this year, but I'll wait until the end of the year, so that polling will begin in January, to include everything.
Last year's results are in the link in my signature (the one that's not about Disney DVD :D). I could very easily tabulate scores just for HTF votes when I'm tallying the rest of the votes.
Although, admittedly, HTF voting was far lower than other forums. Probably because the thread was in Polls. If we could do it again and make it a sticky thread, that'd be much better and the results would be more representative.
Let me know. I'm looking forward to doing the poll again. I think last year's resulting Top 100 list was probably the best I'd seen compiled at the time. Since it is going by public vote, and not one person's picks like a lot of magazines do, I think the list obviously pleases a lot more people. Should be interesting, the more people who vote, the better.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think it's pretty much decided that FotR and Episode II are the top two DVDs of the year, FotR for the quality of the film, Episode II for the technical feat, and both for the extras.

Chris M

Second Unit
Ron, I really respect your opinion, and I think Disney has done some GREAT DVDs this year, and are still doing great stuff. But I REALLY have to fault them for quite a few VERY Disapointing discs which I would LOVE to have, but won't buy because they're P&S (or open Matte) only.

Muppet Treasure Island
Muppet Christmas Carol
Jungle 2 Jungle
Earnest Goes to Camp

and a few other major disapointments from Disney.

Their Monsters Inc, Atlantis, B&TB, Pearl Harbor:VS, Tron:CE, Santa Clause: SE, are all fantastic discs.

I just wish I could get the important ones in OAR.

Sigh.

Chris.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Ernest Goes to Camp is 16 x 9 widescreen (2.35:1).
Jungle 2 Jungle is non-anamorphic widescreen, despite what the packaging says.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not knocking these movies, but are these the "important ones"?

Muppet Treasure Island
Muppet Christmas Carol
Jungle 2 Jungle
Earnest Goes to Camp

Kudos to Disney. I second the Studio notion.
As far as DVD of the year for me, no question.

#1 FOTR-EE
#2 AOTC
#3 Monsters Inc

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I also agree those OAR titles are easily
dismissable, although I also agree that no
DVD should be released as a P&S only title.

I'm gonna tell you guys what I plan to do....

This year I am just too busy with DVD reviews.

I will talk to Parker about doing a few polls.
The first will be NOMINATIONS for DVD OF THE YEAR.
The final polls will be for DVD OF THE YEAR and
STUDIO OF THE YEAR.

I am not promising anything, but I do feel it is
important that this year's vote be on behalf of
the ENTIRE forum. It will certainly mean much to
the studios, and perhaps as last year, our forum's
vote will be recognized in future TV and RADIO
promotions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks