So.. only JP3 and Atlantis are correctly flagged w/DDex ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VicQ, Dec 3, 2002.

1. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

As the title says, are these the only two titles that will correctly activate your receiver's 6.1 decoding when it is set to "auto"? It sucks that all the other DDex movies are not correctly flagged, while all the DTS-ES are.

-Vic

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If that is true, then I wonder why? After all, it can't be very difficult to activate. A few I could understand, but all but a few is a bit ridiculous.

DJ

3. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Aren't these two titles also notorious for drop-outs across a number of receiver product lines?

jdg

4. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

John that's the exact reason they took the flag out. Because the flag was causing dropouts with certian DD decodors. The only brand I know of is Onkyo. What other are there. As far as I know Onkyo hasn't done anything about this but Dolby is working on something. It's not Onkyo's fault though it's Dolby so why should they pay for it. They prolly don't make the processors anyways.

Daniel Smith

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

The Onkyo 989 second update corrected the dropout issue.

6. Chris_T

Chris_T Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo is repairing any units that are affected by the audio dropouts from dvds and over the air DD 5.1 broadcasts. The units need to be taken to one of their authorized service centers and the defective IC Chips will be replaced under warranty. As far as I know, the new X00 models have corrected this problem.

Chris

7. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

I wanted to update the thread I started. I was pleasantly surprised when I started watching Minority Report and noticed that my receiver displayed matrix 6.1 across its front panel. This is another movie that has the correct DDex flag.
    [​IMG]
    -Vic

8. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Is this the definitive list of DD-EX flagged movies? I started a thread thinking my new Sony STR-DB1080 (STR-DA2ES) was faulty because it wasn't detecting the DD-EX titles that I had.

9. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Add Minority Report to that short list.

10. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

I almost wonder if Minority Report was EX flagged on the DD 5.1 track by accident. I say this because the DTS track is not flagged for DTS ES decoding. So let's say when the DVD was being authored a new tech gets an instruction sheet saying this disc is supposed to be ES flagged on one of the 5.1 tracks, but makes a mistake and triggers the now disregarded EX flag on the DD track, but not on the DTS track. This is my guess at what happened because normally the DTS tracks are flagged for ES properly, and the DD EX tracks are not due to the reasons explained previously in this thread.

Then again, Dolby has said to be working on a modified bug-free EX flag, so maybe this is the first.

11. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

As I posted in this thread, Beastmaster also appears to be properly flagged for both DD EX and DTS ES.

12. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

The new Stargate dvd is also correctly flagged for both dts-es and DD EX - I know because I got my copy this morning. And I was very surprised to see my amp automatically switch to EX when I briefly listened to the DD 5.1 track.

13. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

As it turns out, the Stunt Man also has both DD-EX and DTS-ES tracks flagged correctly.