What's new

So my shielded JBL center left a white streak on my new Sony LCD projection (1 Viewer)

BrianBbb

Agent
I knew that that was an issue with older unshielded speakers but in the JBL owners guide it even suggests putting the center on top of the TV and includes a diagram showing it. There was nothing in the sony manual warning against it. I thought it was going to be safe and now I'm seeing a white spot and a streak downward from right under where I had the center sitting. I don't know if it affects the viewing yet but I'm upset as the TV is only 2 weeks old. Will Best Buy do anything under the warranty or service plan? I'll be calling them on tuesday.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure only CRT TV's are affected by magnetism. Perhaps something else is amiss?

As an aside, with a CRT TV, if you put an unshielded speaker close enough, the effect is immediate on the picture, not gradual. And it usually goes away when the speaker is moved.

I'd bet something else is happening, and it is probably covered under warranty. Don't sweat it just yet...

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If it caused a problem, I would bet on weight rather than magnetism as the culprit.

When dealing with warranty, you're usually better off playing dumb -- "It just did that all by itself". Even if your MP3 player has tire tracks on it, you just say it stopped working and let them make the determination as to coverage.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yep. The speaker is likely to heavy. No way it was the shielding or lack there of on that display.

BrianBbb

Agent
Looked at the floor model at a local Best buy and that one shows a bit of a white spot in the upper center as well. Maybe it's just normal with those sets? I read a LOT of reviews and no one mentioned this issue. It doesn't appear to affect the viewing but it still kind of bugs me. I haven't called them yet but I intend to. The speaker is just a small JBL, it can't weigh more than a couple of pounds.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting you can see it one a display model in a retail store. I just don't think the speaker cuased it.

BrianBbb

Agent
I tend to agree. That was my initial thought though as it was directly underneath the speaker.

:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks