So much for Samsung's 1080i dvd player...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom Martin, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i bought the samsung HD931 that is capable of playing movies in 720p and 1080i. i hooked it up to my samsung 1080i HDTV with the DVI cable you NEED to get this signal and what happens? the screen starts fluctuating colors. i call samsung and they say they seem to be having a problem with the digital signal and copy-protectin on dvds. back to the store it goes and i get a toshiba w/480p instead. the picture looks just as good and i saved $300.

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Why would you call the manufacturer if it wasn't working right out of the box? Why not just return it to the store and try another unit?
    Who from Samsung told you they were "having a problem with the digital signal'' and copy protection on DVDs?

Hmmmm.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Anyone else tried this unit with better success?

4. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i just thought i'd try calling samsung first, and i just called the customer service number. dunno who i talked to, though.

5. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Aaron, I have. I've used mine on a Samsung DLP and a Toshiba RPTV, both with great results (with DVI output). I love mine.

6. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

I bought mine two months ago, hooked it up to my Panny 53TW53, via Monster DVI cable and after $400 ($300 for the HD931 and $100 for the cable), I had a player that produced picture quality that was ALMOST as good as my interlaced XBox. I had so many people look at the picture, comparing the modes and also comparing against my XBox and 5-year old Panasonic DIVX player. I made the comparisons blind and most people preferred the PQ of the XBox.

Since the HD931 couldn't even rival the image from my interlaced XBox DVD, I took it back, and got a $400 refund. I just bought a Panasonic DMR-E80H recorder. MUCH better picture, IMHO.

Search for HD931 in this forum and you'll find all kinds of results.. mostly mixed.

Kevin

7. JeromyD

JeromyD Extra

I bought the HD931 and paired it via DVI to my Sony 57WS500 and it works wonderfully. The picture is cleaner and clearer than the Sony 875P progressive scan player I was using. I have two small quibbles. If you connect it via one of its digital outputs to your HT rig it disables the rca outputs so you can't hook it up for output through the Tv as well. The other is that it cuts off lettering in T2 and Resident evil when showing the terminator scannng and the computer in resident scanning.

8. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

My trusty old Toshiba died yesterday so I went to Best Buy and grabbed one, thinking the Faroujda chip would be a good idea. The unit works fine if I feed my TV from the composite or S-Video sources but it goes wacky when I try to go to the 3-cable component output/input and hit progessive scan. The TV won't even show the Samsung screen splash, the image is all twisted. I didn't have a long enough dedicated cable, so I used 2 red/yellow/white a/v cables and connectors so it is possible a cable issue but I don't think so.

The TV is a 4-5 year old Sony XBR200 61" RPTV and my guess is the output from the Samsung DVD player is somehow in conflict with the built-in line doublers of the Sony. I fiddled around in the menus and tried to turn it off but that may not be possible and I may have to live with it. In which case, I'd have been better off to buy one of the cheaper units they had there and saved $200 to boot.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You guys need to keep a few things in mind about this DVD player:

- While the up-conversion is conceptually superior to what your TV will do (because it's done in the digital world), it largely depends on the software. TV makers are on their 3rd or 4th generation of line-doublers. If the people who did the software on that DVD player dont have the experience, the up-conversion is likely poor.

- DVI connections are still new. There are some issues with copy protection and even 3 foot cables have signal-interference issues.

So you are on the 'bleeding-edge' of 2 things with this DVD player.

I admire the effort but people who buy this unit are early-adoptors.

11. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Samsung only uses the Faroudja de-interlacer on the DVI port, so for component output you are much better off with a 480p player that has Faroudja on the component output like the Denon DVD-1600 or similar.

12. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    1080i (or 720p) and the Faroujda chipset are available via component outputs in the Samsung HD1000, which has no DVI output.

13. JeromyD

JeromyD Extra

I am really enjoying the Samsung HD931 that I currently have more than I ever enjoyed the Sony 875P which I used to use. That Sony player was hooked up via component cables with the progressive scan enabled while I watched dvds. The Sony did not have the Faroujda chipset. Everything I have read about that chipset has been extremely favorable. However I was leery of buying another player with component outs even with this chipset because of the problems I experienced with the Sony. It really surprises me to hear people saying that a beautiful picture can be presented via component outs and progressive scan because I never experienced that. The Sony for example seemed to leave movies looking snowy at times. Mainly with older titles. A little snow with older titles was at that time acceptable. My big complaint was with new movies the Sony player seemed to have a hard time display straight smooth lines. For example Indiana Jones The Last Crusade(I know old movie but completely redone) in the opening scenes the beautiful mountains in this movie would move, shake, and shimmy on the Sony. The Samsung completely corrected this and also shows a new layer of detail that I didn't see before. Was the Sony just that bad of a player?

14. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

15. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Jim, does the Samsung have a setting in the set-up menu to choose between progressive scan and non-progressive scan? Sounds like the component inputs of your TV may only accept 480i.

16. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

Tried both ways. It won't even display the splash screen correctly when the component inputs are used.

17. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Jim, what you are describing sounds typical of what happens when a progressive signal is fed to a device that does not have the ability to accept it. Somwhere in the manual it indicates that you need to check if your TV has the ability to accept progressive scan. The fact your TV has component inputs does not mean that it supports progressive scan. Component inputs merely separate the video signal. The Samsung I believe has a light on the front panel to indicate progressive scan. I have the same thing happen to me when I don't want to turn on my projector to navigate a DVD-A and feed a progessive signal to the monitor I use that will not accept it. I then need to disengage the progressive scan in order to clearly see the boot-up screen.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Jim is describing is precisely what a prog-scan signal looks like when connected to an interlaced-only display.

19. Jim Wilke

Jim Wilke Extra

True enough but the Samsung has a small button the front panel that has to be pushed to enable progressive scan. There is also a button that enables three levels of DVI output but that only comes into play if the DVI cable is hooked up.

In this case, I've been all through the menus and selected and de-selected the prog scan feature, tried it with the button pushed and not pushed and it doesn't matter. It will not display if the component cables are hooked up. I suppose it is possible that the prog scan feature is staying on all the time, regardless of the button position.

I'll go back and try one last time.

20. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Jim, you may also have to do the procedure with the TV turned off. I've seen at least one TV of the same vintage as yours not be able to kick in and out of progressive scan under such circumstances.