What's new

So much for my "wonderful" Hsu (1 Viewer)

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
And I thought these were supposed to be good subs. Well, the CHEAP surround(foam) on the driver ripped out. I've had multimedia subs take more of a beating then that. And why did they use the foam junk. You would think they would be rubber. I was afraid of this when I first got it. Alls I have to say is i'm done with Hsu. The klipsch subs get shot down in here alot for some reason but from the ones i've heard i'm pretty amazed not to mention my vtf-2 doesn't put out near the bass as the klipsch subs do.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
How long have you had the sub? Is it calibrated to a known level? What size room? What where you playing and at what level when the surround ripped?

Have you contacted Hsu? Like most internet direct companies they have excellent customer service.

The reason for using foam is more than likely a performance one (not possible to get the T/S parameters desired with a rubber surround). Don't assume rubber is better, a lot of the best subwoofers avialable use foam surrounds.

Which Klipsch sub?

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
The rsw 10,12,and 15. No, I haven't contacted hsu yet but i'm hoping I can just send them the driver and they can send one back. I've had the sub for about 8 months I think. I'm not sure when it happened I just turned it on and noticed that rattly ripped sound but I think it was during music play rather than home theater. I use the built in thing with my denon 4802 to keep the sub from distorting so I don't see how it really could have happened. Oh well I guess, my klipsch rf-7's barely need a sub anyway. I'll just have to save up for a rsw-12 and sell my hsu.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
My guess is the surround was ripped when you got it or was defective from the start. I don't think it would wear out that quickly. Even a pinhole puncture could over time develop into a tear with the amount of pressure and such.
If Hsu doesn't replace the driver or has bad customer service(never dealt with them so I don't know) then I would move on. But sometimes manufacturer's defects happen. Its just sucks that you end up with the defect.
Now if your not happy with the performance then maybe it is time to get that new sub ;)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Aren't the RSW series in just a slightly different price range than the VTF2. Considering your other equipment and that you are considering an RSW as a replacement, have you thought about going to a VTF3, TN1220 from Hsu? Or an SVSub? A pair of SVSubs or TN series subs wouldn't be a lot more than a RSW12 either.

Give Hsu Research a call. I'm confident they will keep you happy. More than likely was just a defective unit. Like Shawn said, it happens.

The RSW series isn't knocked here except for a lack of last octave output. But the VTF2 is no stud in that department either. The KSW line is a different story though.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The RSW subs use bash amps with about 1KW of power and cost more than $1K for the 10".
Dustin is right, don't assume a foam surround is junk. Many of the best drivers in the world use foam. Keep in mind that all drivers have their limits and if they are exceeded, they will break apart.

James Tg

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:

I own a HSU TN1220, and cannot be happier. When I received the subwoofer, I noticed some noise from the driver. I called Dr. Hsu, and he immediately sent a good one to me. The defective could be from factory or during UPS delivery. BTW, HSU have an excellent customer service reputation. Give them a call, and I believe they will make you happy.

James

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Hey jeff the 10" can be bought for 600ish. Regardless of what quality speakers use foam surrounds I will never get one again. And to Mike....Evidentally not much.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
James, I've been happy with the hsu for no more than what it is. I called hsu today and they said they'd get back to me but are going to send me a new driver.:)

Matt Tucker

Agent
Real Name
Matt Tucker
Dr. Hsu was at the San Diego Music and Audio Guild meeting last week and he mentioned that TN series subs now have a rubber surround. I know the white paper for the Shiva and Tempest say they used foam for best performance. Hopefully Hsu was able to keep the same performance when they switched to the rubber.
The TN1220 sure did sound good at the meeting.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks