What's new

So many options, Help needed! (1 Viewer)

Tony4x4

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I am glad I found this forum as I need a lot of guidance! :)

I am about to embark on converting to HD and want to purchase the right componants to achieve what I am wanting to do. When finished I am want to create a home theater / entertainment environment. We are a family that each have wireless notebooks and have over 100000 photos between us, plus music & videos. I have a dedicated PC that I am thinking to have as part of my configuration. This is what I am sort of looking at and I don't know if I am approaching this in the right manner.

Sony 46" KDL-46W4100 (However if I need a ethernet connection I will go for KDL-46XBR6)
Yamaha RX V3900 AV network receiver (I like the idea of being able to listen to internet radio i.e. Pandora, but maybe this function could be performed by the PC)
Sony Blu-ray Disc Player BDP-S550
Speakers, not a 100% sure but looking at the Klipsch range. (Any suggestions?)
Dedicated PC for internet browsing via TV and wireless keyboard and mouse
Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - WDAVN00BN (with a network external hard drive this will allow the sharing and playing of photos, music and video. Again, not sure if this is an overkill with having a dedicated PC)

Hopefully you can see what I am trying to achieve, but my questions are:
Do I need a TV with a Eternet connection?
With a dedicated PC do I need a Network Receiver?
with a dedicated PC do I need a HD Media Player?
is having a dedicated PC the way to go?

Any product advise and configuration advise would greatly be appreciated.

Many thanks

Tony

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't see your goals stated. Do you want to view pictures on your HDTV? Do you want to listen to your digital music on your sound system? Do you want to watch digital video on your TV? What is your regular TV source? Cable? Satellite? Antenna? Combination?

I would recommend against a home theater PC if you have non-techy people who use the sytem. Dedicated players or set top boxes that have multiple functions are much more reliable and user friendly. Besides the big names like D-Link and Netgear, there are dozens of lesser names like Popcorn Hour Media Tank. Also, my DirecTV receiver and stream audio and show pictures from my network as well as stream video to my PC. TiVo boxes have similar functionality.

Speakers - audition as many as possible before buying. You mention Klipsch range. Klipsch has many lines of speakers at many different price points so that doesn't help us at all.

What you don't want to do is have redundant setups. It's not cost efficient nor does it help your non-technical users. No matter what, your system will be complicated so look into using a Harmony remote. My one remote controls 3 DVR's, 2 DVD players, an HDMI matrix switcher, an XM radio and an A/V receiver and a projector. It still has room for more equipment and more activities.

-Robert

Tony4x4

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Thanks Robert,

Sorry I did not state clearly my objective. I would like a system that is totally integrated i.e. Play music, videos etc through the system as well as to be able to browse the internet. Ideally I would like the digital files to still be available through the home network. Everyone in my family is computer literate, I am just trying to bring it all together into a HD system.

In terms of the speakers I am looking at
F-2 Home Theater--- Home Theater System,Klipsch Reference Series
F-1 Home Theater--- Home Theater System,Klipsch Reference Series
but they are only 5.1 and the processor I am looking at is 5.1

Thanks again

Tony

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The internet browsing requirement locks you into using a dedicated PC. Make sure you get a wireless keyboard/mouse and whatever Microsoft is calling their version of Windows for media now days. I sometimes look things up on my laptop while watching TV but I have never had the urge to browse the net on my PC. If I did, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the extra expense.

The Popcorn Hour Media Tank will do everthing else you require while also providing HDMI outputs and control via a standard remote. I like the simplicity of that. I've already got one NAS drive on the network loaded with my music and pictures. I'll add another larger one for video. I'm almost there on my infrastructure so the Popcorn is my next purchase.

Those are nice Klipsch speakers. Have you auditioned them? Some people find the horn tweeters harsh so at least a quick listen is recommended. If possible skip the Klipsch sub and buy one internet direct. You will get more sub for the money from companies like SVS, Hsu, Epik Subwoofers, Outlaw and Elemental Designs.

-Robert

Tony4x4

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Thanks Robert again for your input.

You are probably right about the PC :)

Last question, what would the need be to have the TV have an Ethernet port?and is it worth the extra expense.

I will definitely go and listen to the speakers and appreciate you advise with regards to the sub.

Regards

Tony

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've seen some HP televisions with an ethernet port. You can network them and view pictures on your LAN. But that is really redundant since every other media player and PC you are looking at will do the same thing. I would leave that out of the equation when buying the TV.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks