What's new

so many different choices (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a relative newbie to the world of HT and get overwhelmed when I look at the back of an HT reciever and see all of the connections in the back: component, S-video, optical...

so my question is... is there a certain connection that is better for or does it not really matter, and I should just use whatever is available.

Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

For video, the order of quality (low to high) is composite (single yellow), s-video, component (red, green, blue).

DVI and HDMI are digital connections that allow a pure digital path to the TV and are at least equal if not better than component.

For audio, the least common denominator is 2-channel analog (red/white), you will get Pro-logic at most from this. In order to get true Dolby Digital or DTS, you have to use either a digital connector (optical or coax, either is fine) or use the 5.1 analog outputs of the DVD player, if it has them. Most use the digital connection unless they have a need for hi-res audio (DVD-A or SACD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks