What's new

So, like, how is the Dreyer boxed set? (1 Viewer)

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Now I'm mulling holiday gifts.
I've a friend who particularly adores the films of Ingmar Bergman, Eric Rohmer, and Woody Allen.
She's already got most of the Rohmer available from Fox Lorber on VHS (and those versions may look as good as or better than the disappointing DVD product.)
Most of the Region 1 Bergman available is already owned by either one of us.
She's only got Region 1 NTSC capability so there's no reason to recommend fabulous Region 2 versions of anything. But thanks.
Based on the above info, would anyone recommend getting for her Criterion's Dreyer boxed set? Does it seem like these films might interest her?
As far as I know, she's not currently familiar with any of his films. Woody is always an option, but these sets seem a little nicer than the barebones presentations of his movies.
Thanks for any input.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
I would say there's every chance any Bergman fan will also enjoy Dreyer. Bergman had much admiration for Dreyer, and one can see a similarity in the pacing, themes and emotional tension in their films. In fact, Dreyer is revered by nearly every major filmmaker, and one's cinematic education isn't complete without a familiarity with the three films in this set. They're essential viewing, along with his Passion of Joan of Arc, which is also available in an amazing special edition from Criterion.
Criterion has produced an exquisite set of discs that do these films justice. It's worth every penny.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies and the review link. I will plan on getting this set for her. It sounds like a nice gift, regardless of her ultimate opinion of the contents. And I can borrow the disks.
I am familiar with The Passion of Joan of Arc, but I've never seen one of Dreyer's sound films. And there's obviously a big difference between, say, a typical Rohmer movie and that silent masterpiece. Persona was on TV when I was home for lunch, and some of those images are reminiscent of Dreyer's close-ups of Falconetti.
Incidentally, I noticed that Vampyr is showing on TCM tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks