So, let me understand this...in order to get SHREK 3-D...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have to purchase yet another copy of the original SHREK, which God knows everyone who loved that movie already has. Oh, sure, the set has a "low" retail of "only 27 bucks" - $20 street - but for that I really only gain a 15-minute 3D short subject. The original SHREK isn't going to be worth five dollars on eBay. Nice work on forcing a needless, wasteful double-dip, Dreamworks!

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

It gets worse: the version of Shrek in the set is fullscreen. There's no option to have the widescreen one with the 3-D flick...

3. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Not only is it fullscreen... it's a single disc so you're losing out on a bunch of special features as well as watching a cropped film.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Red/Blue 3-D sucks anyways.

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Well, all this certainly makes my decision not buy it very easy.

Chris

6. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

aw come on guys.. whats wrong with full screen?

[​IMG]

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

"Forcing"? Oh, whatever.

Should we get mad at software companies that release "Gold" editions of their games after the titles in question have gone into the bargain bin?

8. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Nah, Ricardo, but this is a bit different. The Gold edition is usually the game plus the expansion pack in one box. You have the option of buying the expansion separately if you already own the main game. this is analogous to making the expansion pack available ONLY in the gold edition, requiring you to rebuy the original game as well to get it. Very un-kosher.

9. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Doesn't Universal distribute Dreamworks DVDs? Then it wouldn't surprise me a bit [​IMG]

10. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The Universal bashing is getting kinda old. Besides, DreamWorks is calling the shots on this.

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Well said, although I was actually unaware of this whole thing until I read this thread.

12. Saul Myers

Saul Myers Auditioning

I don't agree with this assessment. I've seen very good results from this type of 3D--frankly they all give me headaches, but there's nothing inherently worse about red/blue 3D.

13. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  14. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Nothing inherently worse about red/blue 3-D? WOW, every 3-D fan on the planet would disagree with that....

There is a reason that 99% of 3-D movies always have, and continue to be, exhibited in polarized format.

My own personal assessment of anaglyph on TV/DVD is that the farther away you sit, the better it is. That said, if you polish a t**d.....it is still a t**d.

15. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

A Couple Questions Regarding the single-disc full screen edition:

1) Is it P&S or is it actually recomposed such that they digitally added more animation on the top and bottom to fill in the 1.78 frame rather than remove part of the left and right side of the original 1.78 frame?

2) The back cover says "All New Extended Ending!". Is this new for this DVD or was that available on the 2-disc edition as well?
    I always thought the original 2-disc edition was 2-discs because one disc was for the widescreen edition, and the other was for the full screen edition - not because one disc was simply a collection of special features?

In fact the back cover of this single disc release also lists quite a lot of special features:
    • Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party
    • International Dubbing Featurette
    • HBO First Look: Making of Shrek
    • Shrek's Music Room: Music Videos From Smash Mouth, Baha Men and More!
    • Game Swamp: Over 15 Interactive Games and Activities Including SHREK Pinball, Rescue the Princess, and Soup Slam
    • Storyboard Pitch of Outrageous Deleted Scenes
    • Filmmaker's Commentary
    • Technical Goofs
    • Exclusive Hints for SHREK XBOX Video Game
    • Cast and Production Notes
    This seems like a healthy dose of special features. Which special features are missing that the 2-disc edition had? Also, are some of these special features new and not included in the original 2-disc edition?