So, just WHEN did NYC turn into Seattle...?!?!?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Mack, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Dang! It's been rainy and gloomy for WEEKS!!
    It's like we'll have 1, MAYBE 2 nice days and then WHAM! 5 or 6 straight days of RAIN!!!! And overcast skies!

Sheesh! How do people in Seattle not Whack themselves???

[​IMG] D

2. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Except that it's 80 degrees in Seattle today.

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Ow... quit it.

[​IMG] D

4. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Yes it is and should be close to 90 by Friday.

5. D. Scott MacDonald

And not a cloud in the sky [​IMG]

6. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Well As a native New Yorker and now a Oregonian enjoying a nice dry spell with 90 degrees all I can say is.

HA!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    "Rainy Seattle" is a stereotype that people just like to keep passing around. I believe climatological records show that NY actually has more rainy days annually than Seattle (and I think I picked that tidbit up the last time I was in Seattle...it was Sunny and in the 80's for the whole week!) [​IMG]

8. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

New York has more rainfall than Seattle, but NYC has some 160+ sunny days on average while only 60 in Seattle.

I'm all for rain, better than being half dead in 100F+. Plus running from the car to the office is exercise. No wonder Seattle is #2 healthiest city in USA [​IMG]

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Ha! I thought you were going to bemoan a Starbucks in every corner! [​IMG]

Seriously, when I was in San Francisco last, that exact thought went through my head (obviously it was "when did SF become Seattle?") when within 10 city blocks in Union Square I counted 12 Starbucks...

10. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

As a related myth (possibly) to the "rainy Seattle" story, I also heard that their weather was probably a factor in an abnormally high suicide rate.

Mattt

11. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

And Seattle originates more serial killers (supposedly). And the Olympic Peninsula suposedly gets enough rain to qualify it for a rain forest.

12. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

hmmmm...am i the only one who loves rain. of course, i guess it's a good thing i live in mobile....one of the purportedly rainiest cities in the nation.

kevin t

13. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

When I was in Seattle last visiting a friend, he told me that the people of Seattle say that it rains all the time to keep people from moving out there [​IMG]

~jason

14. PeteyG

PeteyG Stunt Coordinator

Dave - I agree!! This weather is killing me!! This has been the worst year weather wise. Freezing winter, tons of snow, freezing spring with nothing but rain!! It's driving me nuts!!

The worst part about it is that we will get no Spring like weather at all - it's going to go straight from cold and rain - to the always lovely Hazy, Hot & Humid [​IMG]

Pete

15. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

ITS GLOBAL WARMING!!! GREENHOUSE GASSES!!! SUV's!!! EVIL CORPORATIONS AND OIL COMPANIES!!! THE EPA IS CONTROLLED BY THE FREEMASONS!!! THE ICECAPS WILL MELT!!! THE EARTHS TEMPS ARE RISING LIKE NEVER BEFORE!!! WE ARE ALL GOINT TO MELT INTO PUDDLES!!! STOP USING ARESOL CANS!!! EARTH DAY!!! EARTH DAY!!! EARTH DAY!!! EARTH DAY!!! EARTH DAY!!! EARTH DAY!!!

Seriously...It rained 20 days in May and every day so far in June. This sucks.

16. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

The weather really suuuuux [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yesterday was 59 #&@^#@#(* degrees !!!!
    Is this November or June ???

Why am I ranting? Nobody can change this [​IMG]

17. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

It isn't so much the rain here, but the overcast that gets people down I think. The rain is also different that in other areas of the US, like the southeast for example. Here it can drizzle for 3 days straight but never really rain hard, while in more humikd areas it will pour buckets for 30 minutes, then stop. And still be warm. That was a weird transition for me when I was in Virginia. It also keep things lovely and green here, my family from Arizona can't believe how everything is so green.

Chris

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Add me to the list of New Yorkers bitching about the weather. The only plus is that we have full reservoirs for a change.

19. D. Scott MacDonald

It actually very seldom rains here (at least compared to rain that you see elsewhere in the country) and many cities have a larger annual rainfall than Seattle. What Seattle has is more of a constant drizzle - not enough to really make you wet, but enough to notice it. It is very common to get about 1/4" precipitation throughout the day. When I moved to Texas I learned what real rain was like (about an inch in 15 minutes).

Everybody that visits during the summer leaves with the impression that it never rains here, because our summers tend to get very little rainfall. The rain starts around October and usually lets up in May or June. A few years ago we went four months (Nov - Feb) with only four days without any rain at all.

As far as depression goes, most people that are raised here really like the weather (I'm only happy when it rains), but transplants (especially from California) can have a really difficult time adjusting.

20. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter