1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

So is Xbox "Lite" not happening?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JoshF, Jan 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Were the rumors false? Anyone know anything?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Never heard such rumors...care to explain for me?

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Basically it was a slimmed down version of the XBox...more portable, like the re-release of the PSone

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

This was part of that report that came out a few weeks ago about a price drop for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube next year.

Hard to say if it's going to happen or not. Lower prices are never a bad thing.

Glen

5. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Josh,

Just bite the bullet & go buy one!
    Make sure you get the Live kit!
    C'mon...you know you want to [​IMG]

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Calvin: I'm ready to do it, but I just want to know if there's a smaller, sexier one coming out soon. I'd really like to keep my living room as clean as possible.

...or something like that.

And you better believe I'll be getting the Live kit. Live is pretty much the only reason I'll be getting it.

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    This is just a casual observation but I think the X Box is probably a couple of years till a lite version hits the shelves. How many years was the Playstation around before PSone? It's definitely more than five. The X Box hasn't even had its third birthday yet.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

9. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I would personally LOVE to see a smaller XBox.

In fact, if they actually release one, I might pick it up. [​IMG]

10. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Why, oh why would size of the console make a difference to people?!?

Man, the thing is made to play games (better than the other systems, if you look at its graphic/sound capabilities). It is the only one with a built-in hard drive, which I'm sure all x-box owners will tell you is just awesome. It isn't even that much bigger than the PS2... If you want to buy something pretty, stay away from console gaming. Go buy a Barbie-edition iMac or something...

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Andrew, just because I like to play games doesn't mean I've no interest in the aesthetics of my living room. I'm sure that I'll have one when the opportunity presents itself, but which consoles stay on the HT rack (PS2, GC) and which go in the crates until they next get used (Saturn, DC) is at least partly determined by how they look sitting there.

12. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Thank you, Iain.

I am a design whore, and I like my living room to look good. I agree that it's all about the games, but if there was a better looking Xbox coming out soon I would wait for it. I waited for the Platinum Gamecube for similar reasons. I have my PS2 hidden behind a dark glass door. I hide all my cables in split loom.

Oh, and I already have Macs, a G4 tower with Apple display and a Powerbook, thank you very much. I'd love to get one of the newer iMacs... I think they look great aside from being very powerful machines.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think aesthetics are very important. It shows that the company cares about how the thing looks in your house and it also makes it more attractive.

I'd love for a smaller, sexier X-Box because it'd probably drive down the price of a regular X-Box, so I could get one.

14. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Iain,

And you really think the PS2 and the cube look that much better than the current X-Box?!?

Ok...

I guess I just don't understand... I think the X-Box looks pretty nice with my other components...

15. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

16. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

17. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I've never really understood the complaints against the size of the XBOX. The PS2 is nearly the same width, so they both take of the same amount of shelf real estate. It's deeper than the PS2, but no more than many DVD players, receivers, etc... It's not any thicker than most HT components either. Then look at the GC. It's small overall, but it is fairly tall and the lids opens upward. So it actually requires a fairly tall shelf space. Not a big issue for me since I just stuck it next to my receiver since it also needs a tall shelf for ventilation. But you definitely just can't stick into any old shelf.

The only think I don't care for on the XBOX is that green jewel on top. That is pretty ugly. It should have been a black jewel with the green "X" XBOX logo. But I just positioned it on the shelf so that only the front end of the XBOX is really visible. So it looks like pretty much any other component in my HT.

18. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I really don't like the "jewel", the front looks rather silly with all its sculpting, and the curved, ridged top are basically my problems with the XBox; nothing that couldn't be fixed without even having to make it smaller - just make it blend in with the black Pioneer and Sony components that make up the rest of the rack.

The Cube, in all its purple silliness is just so daft and quirky that it gets let off, becoming a little sculpture in its own right. Plus the wavebird means I can hide it behind the front-right floorstander when I'm feeling sensible without even the need to worry about how to plug a cable in - all my controllers are disconnected when not in use, as the wires are pretty ugly.

19. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Aaron: I guess I didn't make it clear that I have issues with the design of ALL consoles.

The PS2, in my opinion, is the least offensive because it's black, slot-loading, has a flat top, and sports that groovy blue LED. However it's an odd shape and stick out in any rack.

The Gamecube is top-loading and too tall. However, it's pretty small and, as Iain pointed out, wireless.

The Xbox is the largest, it's pretty ugly (in my opinion), the top is round, and it's pretty difficult to integrate and / or hide.

So, coming back 'round to the topic, it's my opinion that the Xbox is most in need of a weight-loss, face lift, and slimming program. A bigger hard drive at this point wouldn't hurt either.

But that's just me wishing since I plan on picking one up in the next few months. If the rumors about a lite version are / were true, I'd wait.

20. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

I guess it wouldn't be too difficult to make a false-front for the Xbox that extends right and left to component width. Hmm.

-j