What's new

So Is Michael Jackson Lip Syncing Or What? (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing as I'm watching this tonight! Even with the headset he was covering his mouth. But I don't think he is for some of it. Its almost like they are running a track in the background and he is filling in the improv stuff. I wouldn't have used the word moron, but it did look wierd....

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. It just sounded too "album-like", except for the improv stuff. I'm guessing the actual song was playing in the background.
All in all, it was a very good performance IMO.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

BobV

Second Unit
Album like ??? I popped it on for one second and heard "I'll be There" and it was horrendously offkey. If it was prerecord they sure did a half-hearted job of it. :)

LARUE

Stunt Coordinator
It's just a shame he didn't get counseling years ago. I can't imagine he's happy with his looks now, and he was (is?) a very talented guy.
Looks like they put a blurring video filter over his face in most shots.
I agree he was probably covering his mouth to hide the lip-syncing, or else knew he'd be overdubbing later.
LARUE

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Bob,
Yea, some of the songs you could tell that he was actually singing, but then on others his voice was perfect...album perfect.
I dunno, maybe I was just imagining, but I'm sure he was lipsinging for at least 50% of the songs.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I tuned in to see him singing "Billie Jean" and that was definitely lip-synching.
Some woman at my office claims that part of his nose fell off in the middle of a show some time back!? I think I'll file that one under "urban legends"...why do people feel the need to make up stories about Michael Jackson when the truth is strange enough!?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Having a bit of experience in the field, here's what I saw during the 10 minutes I watched:
There was certainly, and obviously, a prerecorded track, probably playing from DAT or similar medium. The track appeared to contain a good portion of the production backing tracks of music, much of the support vocal- and also included a low main vocal track.
Jackson's mic was live, this was obvious during improvs and occassionally would pick up noises as he danced.
I would imagine he was "singing"- however with the ample "backing" tracks and material coming off the tape- it wouldn't have mattered much.
I have worked with some artists who do similar routines: where their mic is "live" but if you listen to it by itself you'll see they're putting out about 25% of normal singing level- and when you listen to the music track by itself... well you hear where the majority of the vox are coming from.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Whitney Housten looked like a walking corpse. Drudge Report wasn't exagerating and CBS did their best to keep her closeups to a minimum.
eek.gif

------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Well that certainly explains it. He wasn't covering his mouth to cover up his lip syncing. He was making sure his nose didn't fall off like before. He probably felt it loose at the beginning of the performance and didn't have any superglue. Hey I love the guy, his singing and especially his dancing, but you got to admit he is just a little bizarre!!!
[Edited last by Jeff Behlendorf on November 14, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I give him credit for coming out in public and performing.
Conan O'Brien did a joke about Michael:
Elizabeth Hurley : having first child :: Michael Jackson :
Spoiler:having first dibbs

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Whitney Housten looked like a walking corpse. Drudge Report wasn't exagerating and CBS did their best to keep her closeups to a minimum.
Entertainment Tonight just had a story about this and how the actual broadcast used digital wizardry to make her look a little better. The press footage that was released a few days ago made her look even worse in that you could see the bones through her chest, but on the broadcast last night that was 'fuzzed' out.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
There was a story in the Star a couple of weeks ago about MJ's nose falling off at a concert...so it must be true...the Star never lies.

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, he was covering his mouth to increase the volume of his voice. Apparently, they were having some serious audio issues as Michael could sometimes not be heard at all. You'll notice the sound improved when he cupped his hand over the mike. As I once used to work in audio reinforcement, I would guess that the crowd noise was too loud to overcome and that the gain was up as far as it could be on the mike without risking going into a feedback situation.
Or, his nose could have fallen off.
------------------
"We're hosed. We lost the remote."

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Dennis Miller observed on the Craig Kilborn show, "Michael Jackson has officially passed George Hamilton on the pigment spectrum." :)
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks