So is DVD-audio the best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Jul 13, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

From what I've read, SACD falls somewhat behind DVD-audio
    in terms of ultimate sound quality. Is this actually
    the case and has there been enough duplicate material
    to make this determintation?

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

From what I have gathered it is actually the other way around. I do not own a SACD nor a DVD-Audio player but by reading numerous comments on this board all prefer SACD over DVD-Audio. I am sure if you do a search you will find numerous debates on this topic. I know KeithH holds firmly to SACD as being the champ, and he owns both SACD & DVD-Audio players.

3. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

Ultimate sound?

Records.

Get a good turntable, and put the shiny things away.

Charlie

4. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    I seem to think DVD-A is the way to go. the DVD format is already the most popular format, and DVD-A is BASICALLY the same thing. SACD is just another format we have to worry about. i predict DVD-A will win the format war.

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

In the music forum most people who have both seem to favor SACD. But that may have nothing to do with it winning the format war, or if even either will survive.

I only have a DVD-A player and enjoy it quite a bit. Nothing against SACD, I just didn't have the money for a good SACD player at the time.

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

It seems to be practically impossible to find a truly objective comparison (ie recordings made from the same source, no "sweetening" of one format compared to the other, etc.). It should be self evident that comparisons from a company that favors one format (such as Sony) are suspect. I've seen plenty of engineering reasons given why DVD-A should be superior. I've also seen reasons given why SACD should be superior. I think the given "mix", including the microphones used and their placement, recording levels, compression, etc. is far more important than the format.
    You just LOVE the 12" format in all its manifestations, Charlie. Unfortunately for you, it's not coming back.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

There are no albums that have a release in each format, so it is impossible to compare.

They both sound much better than CDs and is usually cheaper than buy the proper equipment necessary to get vinyl to sound better than digital.

If you can't get both formats, then get the one with more titles that appeal to you. See what music is available out there for each, and go with that. What's the point of great sound quality if you're not listening to music?

8. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Does anyone have a link to the catalog of software on both formats? I'll probably be purchasing one or the other in the near future, and software is really the deciding factor.

Thanks!

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Sony is moving towards producing only CD/SACD hybrids to be sold at standard CD prices. If they do this, then the battle is as good as over regardless of what format is superior.

10. willyh

willyh Agent

Whatever happened to the controversy about Digital watermarking on DVD audio? I understand that there was audible distortion due to watermarking. Is this still a problem or did they eliminate the watermarking or change it somehow? I can't see buying into a high fidelity format with intentional distortion built in.

11. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

Eric F: Sony may be doing hybrid CD/SACD, but DVD Audio discs will play in a standard DVD player (not at full DVD Audio quality, but still Dolby 5.1). So, unless those hybrids get out there fast, DVD players may be common enough that a hybrid CD/SACD disc won't be enough to keep the format alive.

12. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I thought the Universal Music Group had endorsed SACD/DSD. For those of you who don't know, UMG is the BIGGEST music conglomerate around.

If UMG and Sony are really serious about increasing the selection and adoption of DSD technology then DVD-Audio, which is mainly touted by Warner Brothers Music, is going to have a tough go at it.

I too would like to know if the DVD-Audio camp had moved away from using Verance watermarking, which has been known to add distortion. As a point of reference, supposidly, DTS Entertainment's DVD-Audio line up does not use watermarking because of this phenomenon.

Dan

13. Michael St. Clair

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

The Verance watermarking is another all ado about nothing gripe imho - much like the dreaded chroma bug. The bottom line is that I have Dvd-A'S from 5.1 entertainment (known not to use watermarking) and from Warner who uses it, and have never heard any audible distortion in their DVD-A's. Many audiophiles who inhabit the music section of this board even admit they've never heard it on any of their DVD-A discs. I wonder how many people would even be raising this issue if it wasn't publicized? Afterall, I heard very little from people on the chroma bug issue in DVD players until it became the toast of HTF chat. Now all of a sudden they were ready to throw out their Toshiba 6200's and DENON 2800's because of something they read somewhere, evethough they were enjoying them quite well until then. I am not trying to offend anyone, but feel that all to often we tend to make mountains out of mole-hills. I enjoy both formats, and scientific data (provided by those not affiliated with either camp) has clearly shown that one format is not necessarily superior to the other. They both have their pros and cons, and for me, it is about the music - which is why I am enjoying both formats.

Reg

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Both DVD-As and SACDs sound better than redbook CDs. My only beef with them is the way that many titles are being formatted for release.

Many DVD-Audios are inconvenient to listen to without the aid of menus requiring the use of your television. Ugh.

Despite engineering the capability into the format, Sony is not including a CD-layer on their SACDs that would allow you to listen to them on conventional CD players (such as in my car). Grrrr. Just about everyone else doing 2-channel SACDs is including a CD layer, though.

Regards,

16. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

17. Michael St. Clair

18. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Eric F -- Don't forget... Sony lost the videotape war.

19. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden