What's new

So is Dual Disc making a splash or sinking? (1 Viewer)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I hear you Robert. I feel like a beta tester with both SACD and DVD-A and the end result is the disappointing Dualdisc. I am happy to see more mainstream 5.1 support and at least some DVD-A support, but it is not consistent enough in my opinion right now. If the 2 channel track is 96/24, the MC track should be too, period.

But I am hoping that with enough push we can finally get something to materialize like DVD did. Early DVDs were lousy transfers that weren't anamorphic and hit or miss 5.1 tracks. But eventually they caught on. I hope the same happens here. If enough publications vent their issues and state the concerns maybe the labels will listen.

I am doing an article on it now and I was given the oppurtunity to question all the head people for each label. So hopefully we will hear reasons behind their approaches.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
FYI

Warner just announced two more DVD-A/CD combo releases. Two of the early Seal releases are coming out. Seems they like this approach better then Dualdisc.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Re Beck, are you talking about "Guero", or -I hope I hope- some other Euro-only Beck SACD release? Dying to know!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Of course many of us have learned the hard way not to get too excited until discs are in hand . . . but this is terrif news if it comes to fruition.

I presume it will be the 1991 and 1994 Seal releases.

"Bring It On,"
-p

AricB

Second Unit
Kris, have you got your hands on With Teeth dualdisc yet? I'll be grabbing it at lunch, provided my BB has in stock.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
For what it's worth, the DualDisc of Rob Thomas' "...something to be" has debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts, and it's only being released on DualDisc.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/bb200.jsp

It played flawlessly on my Sony 5-disc changer, but not on my new Sony portable CD/MP3 player. Though, I wish it was being released on SACD, because it's a really great CD, and the 5.1 sound is not too shabby! :)

However, the DualDisc of Jennifer Lopez's "Rebirth" played flawless on both my changer and MP3 player. However, "Rebirth" is not recorded in 5.1 channels, but in "enhanced stereo"...whatever that means! :frowning:

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I'd support it, but so far the only Dual Discs I've wanted are cd's that I just bought a few weeks before... so no purchases for me yet.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering

Yep, bought it this morning and listened to it in its entirety already. Great disc, but not quite on par with The Downward Spiral in terms of aggressive 5.1 mixes. Still great though. But the last track has some weird static in the front left channel that was bothersome. Not there in the 2 channel mix. Thought I blew a tweeter!!

AricB

Second Unit
listening to it that loud, huh?

peope over at echoing are raving about it, but NIN fans can be a bit biased.... got mine, cant wait to get home tonight, give it the once over...

live up to your hopes or expectations? or not?

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
The album is excellent as a whole. The 5.1 mix I thought could have been a bit more agressive but I like it.

I don't think the static was a loudness issue, I think it is in the track. But only on the 5.1 mix. I even switched speakers and it was still there regardless of volume, but not on the stereo mix.

AricB

Second Unit
I just meant because you thought you blew it, I thought maybe you were rocking out at high volumes.

Cool, looking forward to checking it out.

Tim Dogg

Agent
I picked up the Dual Disc yesterday and gave it a listen last night.I didnt really get to bring it to the volumes I usually to because the girl had a headache,ugggggg.

I like it over all and the surround seems to be very good.Im not to into this album as much as The Fragile but its not too bad.My girlfriend listened to it and said it was lame and that Trent rushed it just to get somthing out.Shes also a big fan of the Fragile.

It does have good sound quality even though its only a dual disc.My Denon 2900 reads it as A DVD-A.For some reason I thought dual disc were not high rez like dvd-a but more of a dolby digital or dts format? Maybe someone can help me out with this.

AricB

Second Unit
Tim, can be either one. that's why with Dual Disc's you have to carefully read teh package, some are stereo only with video stuff, some are DVD-Audio's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks