What's new

So, is a new hdtv worth it now with dvi this winter? (1 Viewer)

MottK

Auditioning
Well is buying a new HDTV now worth it, having some sets with dvi coming this fall/winter. Sony is supposed to begin shipping sets with dvi this winter or fall. Is it worth it to buy a new set now, or should we wait?

For me, we dropped our old 36" tv and we scrapped it. We have be living with a tiny 20" tv for our large living room, and well its weird sitting on that big stand. Should we invest our 1700 into a set now, or wait the long long time until winter?

Keith_JS

Agent
Great question and one no one can answer with certainty.

Personally I would be VERY reluctant to spend big bucks for an HDTV or HDTV ready tv that may well be obsolete in a few years.

The JVC 48" i'Art with its divi input has leapfrogged from nowhere to a solid position as one of my top five candidates because of this concern.

Considering the way that prices of HDTV ready RPTVs have plummetted in recent months the tv industry knows what's coming. Even directtv has made it clear that they will give in to the demands of their "suppliers" (motion picture companies) and transmit a lower grade signal to customers who have analog HDTV connections IF they requets them to do so.

This is not something that's going to be settled to the consumers satisfaction without political intervention.

I fear that alot of people who purchased HDTV ready sets are gonna get burned and it stinks.

Thomas_P

Agent
I am asking myself the same question right now. I am going to wait for the new Sony line which is going to come out in August. All of the HDTV ready sets will have DVI/HDCP. The suggested prices on their new sets are pretty reasonable. Also, the JVC is a good set with a good price. I wouldn't recommend buying an HDTV without DVI.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm in the same boat you are. I passed on the JVC 48 becuase of upconversion and red push. Probably going to pass on the new Toshibas because they will (probably) still be upconverting 480p to 540p.

I've kind of settled on the Sony KP-51WS500 by default. The only bad new is I have to wait for October for it to come out.

Keith_JS

Agent
Phil,a couple of newbie questions for you (and anyone else out there)on the 48" I'Art.

What's bad about the JVC's up conversion to 1080i?

How severe is the red push? Can it be be corrected using Avia or by doing some basic tweeking in the service menu?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
The JVC:

Upconversion: I just don't like upconversion, I think it causes artifacts. I want to display DVDs in native 480p.

Red push: I don't know how severe it is. I read one post about it that said it was very severe but that could be an isolated thing. The post said it couldn't be corrected using Avia or V.E.

If I would wait on the JVC until some ISFs have given an opinion on it.

Other things about the JVC

1. It's amazingly ugly cabinet.

2. I think you get what you pay for, except for the 47 panasonic, all the HD RPTVs in the 50 inch range seem to cost 2000-2500 dollars. That just indicates to me, along with the other things I've stated, that the JVC is sub-standard.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
pass on the new Toshibas because they will (probably) still be upconverting 480p to 540p.
In the latest issue of S&V, the usual Onecall ad in the back has the specs for the 50H82. It states "DVI Upgradeable", but also "New IDSC-Pro (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion) (540p/1080i). I think this is the same as the 50H81 540p conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread