So I'm watching Dumbo on DVD last night...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_Millheiser, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

... because it's probably my favorite Disney animated film after Fantasia. I've seen it dozens of times, although I hadn't seen it in a few years or so.
    So why is it then, as one who never really gets emotional during any movies, I started crying like a little girl during the Baby Of Mine sequence, when a sad Dumbo is comforted by his incarcerated mother, Mrs. Jumbo?
    Geeze Louise!! I thought I was a total heartless bastard, and there I was, just bawling away. Has anybody else had this reaction, or am I just a total wuss? :b

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I would say that is a very normal reaction to a moving and beautifully executed sequence.
    [​IMG]

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My girlfriend can't even think about that scene without breaking into tears. I bought Dumbo, but we still haven't watched it, simply because I don't want to torture her.

5. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

My wife's the same way... She loves the movie, but we haven't watched it yet because it always makes her cry...

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Yeah, I bawled like a baby, too, Matthew. But not quite as much as I did last night during the "I Love Lucy" special on CBS, where they showed Desi and Lucy wbeing honored by Ed Sullivan on "Toast of the Town" at the height of their stardom. Desi choked up when he said, "I want to thank the American people. To go from cleaning bird cages to this..." Then he covered his face and broke down completely, and they cut over to Lucy, who grabbed his arm, tears streaming down her face. Even Ed Sullivan about lost it, and gave Desi a little hug. Sniff!

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Guilty.

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

When I was very little, maybe only 2 or 3 years-old, Dumbo was unquestionably my favorite movie. At a time when people didn't buy videotapes because they were so expensive, my family must have rented this movie enough times to actually pay for my own copy. As much as I loved the film when I was little, my tastes eventually changed and I outgrew the movie by about age 5 or 6.

A full 15 years would pass before I saw it again. My niece, who was only 3 at the time was staying with us while her mom and dad were at the hospital for the delivery of their second child. She brought with her various toys, clothes, and other items of comfort to make herself feel more at home. One of the things she brought with her was a VHS copy of Dumbo. Interested in seeing it again for the sake of good old nostalgia, I popped it in to my underused VCR and checked it out. I had seen the movie enough times as a kid to remember pretty much the whole movie, but I was totally blind-sided by how emotional the film was. The "Baby of Mine" sequence in particular got to me, mostly because reminded me of that special comfort that only a little kid can receive from his mother. That feeling is captured perfectly in this movie.

Why were you so moved, Matthew? Because it's a brilliantly honest and moving sequence involving the love of a mother and child. Something as beautiful as that should bring you to tears.

9. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Catch me in the right mental state and I can cry like a baby.
    Shortly after my Father passed away in '94 I had the misfortune of watching "My Life" with Michael Keaton. Never had I seen a film that was SOOO emotionally manipulative. I cried through the whole thing...
    So yeah, big strong men can cry while watching Dumbo. [​IMG]

10. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm crying right now, just thinking about that scene. Dumbo is easily my favorite Disney movie. I really wish that they would give this the platinum treatment.

11. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Wow...I've never seen Dumbo. I'll have to pick it up on the way home tonight.

12. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Gee, I must have some kind of block or something. I think Dumbo is one of the few Disney classics that I hadn't seen before getting the DVD (and yet I call myself a fan) but I still haven't cried openly during any movies, including this one. I might get a little misty, which I also did get during Dumbo, but never actual tears... Is something wrong with me [​IMG]
    Not trying to threadfart or trying to sound macho or anything, I just start to feel like I'm missing out here [​IMG]

13. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Thanks everyone, for your honest responses.
    I rarely respond emotionally to movies. Like most HTF'ers, I love movies dearly and appreciate them as both art and entertainment. But never in my life have I so openly wept at a scene!!
    The fact that it has touched so many people is a testament to wonderful filmmaking and a fantastic movie. Incidentally, I listened to John Canemaker's commentary last night for the first time, and even he mentioned that people have responded to that scene with tears for decades.
    For Dumbo newbies, don't let this be a detraction. The film is anything but depressing or a downer. It's classic Golden Age Disney. See it at once!! [​IMG]

14. Rain

Rain Producer

I think it's great that one of my all time favourite movies is stirring such a response and that this thread may actually be influencing more people to see it.
    Up to this point, all I've been reading around here about Dumbo is quibbling over the fact that film grain is visible. This is much more fulfilling. [​IMG]

15. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Gee, I must be a big baby. I usually cry during Dumbo during this scene as well. Some others that have moved that way include:

Braveheart - When William Wallace is being tortured and finally screams out "Freedom!" and sees an image of his wife moving through the crowd towards him.

Glory - The assault on the fort at the end of the movie, starting with Colonel Shaw's (Matthew Broderick) death and going all the way to the end of the movie.

The Last of the Mohicans - Not for the love story part (although I did enjoy that too) but when the Heyward sacrifices himself to save Nathaniel (Daniel Day-Lewis) and Cora (Madeleine Stowe), plus when Alice (Cora's sister) throws herself off the cliff and when Chingachgook kills Magua (Wes Studi), revenging his son's death moments earlier.

I know this thread was about Dumbo, but what the heck!

16. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I cry at the end of Tarzan. Every time.

*sigh*